2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

12 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

So I got a rejection from Dal...... except it's addressed to the wrong person.......... yet it has my mailing address on it................................ HUH??

That's very odd! I haven't heard of that ever happening before. I would definitely be contacting the department and letting them know the rejection letter you received was not addressed to you.

1 hour ago, criticalthinker said:

That's very odd! I haven't heard of that ever happening before. I would definitely be contacting the department and letting them know the rejection letter you received was not addressed to you.

They ended up sending me another one with my name on it.... so weird haha

11 hours ago, Schoolchildpsyc said:

Does anyone know if certain programs qualify you to work as a Psychological Associate upon completing master’s in school/child psych? 

I know masters are not recognized by the CPA/College besides SCCP at OISE which explicitly states it qualifies on their website but I’m wondering if there are others masters people know of (such as Western or UBC’s SACP) which allow working as a Psychological Associate?

I have been working towards my registration as a psychological associate since I graduated with my Masters in Applied Psychology from Laurentian University in 2018. I put in the application and was deemed eligible by the college of psychologists of Ontario.  You have to send in an application and they go through all of your courses to see if you have the requirements for the competencies sought. Feel free to DM for more info.  

Edited to say that I have just applied to PhDs this year, but am still finishing registration in the meantime. 

Edited by Psycholo-genius
added info

On 3/9/2021 at 3:13 PM, janelove said:

Just got accepted into McMaster's RCT program! VERY SHOCKED! (Didn't even get an interview). If there is anyone else you got in and wants to chat, please message me!

Edit: This ended up being an acceptance to the experimental program. I got an OGS so they still wanted to admit me even though there were no more spots in the clinical program. Glad I have an offer from a clinical program where I live, but I was extremely disappointed and heartbroken to find this out.

For anyone still waiting to hear from McMaster, unfortunately I can confirm that all the spots in the clinical program have been offered and accepted.

Has anyone been officially rejected from Queens? I haven’t heard anything from them.

Also, my York portal still says there’s no decision made on my application yet even though I was not invited to the open house, any insights? 

Finally, has anyone who was previously on the waitlist received an offer from Lakehead? Trying to gauge where I might be before accepting a different offer.

27 minutes ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

Has anyone been officially rejected from Queens? I haven’t heard anything from them.

Also, my York portal still says there’s no decision made on my application yet even though I was not invited to the open house, any insights? 

Finally, has anyone who was previously on the waitlist received an offer from Lakehead? Trying to gauge where I might be before accepting a different offer.

I applied to Queens and haven’t heard back but it seems that they already sent out the interview invites and accepted people. I only saw one person post saying they got rejected. 

I am also on the list for Lakehead and I don’t know what is happening there. I know that they sent out their first round of offers and are giving people until April 15 to respond. So it might be a while before the wait list people heard back? But they did send out an email last week or so letting people know that they will do their best to get back before end of March to early April. 

best of luck to you with your other offers :) 

11 minutes ago, psychsci said:

I applied to Queens and haven’t heard back but it seems that they already sent out the interview invites and accepted people. I only saw one person post saying they got rejected. 

I am also on the list for Lakehead and I don’t know what is happening there. I know that they sent out their first round of offers and are giving people until April 15 to respond. So it might be a while before the wait list people heard back? But they did send out an email last week or so letting people know that they will do their best to get back before end of March to early April. 

Re: Lakehead, most of us are still waiting for the official offer letters, which have been delayed by the cyberattack ?  Might explain slow waitlist movement 

24 minutes ago, broski said:

Re: Lakehead, most of us are still waiting for the official offer letters, which have been delayed by the cyberattack ?  Might explain slow waitlist movement 

37 minutes ago, psychsci said:

Thank you both! I have one offer but I’m trying to gage where I am with other schools before accepting ?. Here’s to hoping I hear soon

7 minutes ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

Thank you both! I have one offer but I’m trying to gage where I am with other schools before accepting ?. Here’s to hoping I hear soon

Hopefully they will come in before the April 15th deadline :)

4 hours ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

I haven't heard anything from Queen's but my PI emailed me in January to tell me she was no longer going to be allowed to take a student so I am just waiting for that rejection.

I attended the York open house and it sounded like only those invited were being considered for offers. 

I didn't apply to Lakehead so not sure about that one.

Congratulations on your offer!

4 hours ago, wannabeclinical said:

I haven't heard anything from Queen's but my PI emailed me in January to tell me she was no longer going to be allowed to take a student so I am just waiting for that rejection.

I attended the York open house and it sounded like only those invited were being considered for offers. 

I didn't apply to Lakehead so not sure about that one.

Congratulations on your offer!

Thanks so much for the insight! :)

Hey everyone,

I am in my third year at Mac and planning on applying for the next admission cycle to McMaster (RCT), UofT (SC), and Ryerson for clinical psych. I know a lot of schools waived GRE requirements for this admission cycle. I contacted U of T clinical psych, and they confirmed they would waive the GRE scores for the next (2022-2023) cycle, and I know McMaster and Ryerson do not require it. However, I am worried about how this will affect later applying for a Ph.D. as the admissions often require/assume GRE completion. I am wondering what your opinions are on me taking it this summer or not (this would be my first time). I wouldn't want to spend a whole summer studying when I could be completing more research if I do not have to :).  Sorry if this doesn't make sense LOL. I am just worried about not completing the GRE and it affecting me later on. 

I also was hoping for some general tips and tips on completing applications for multiple schools. Did you ask your referees to fill out recommendations for multiple schools? I am a little worried about overwhelming them, but I also want to apply to as many schools as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

On 3/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, janelove said:

Edit: This ended up being an acceptance to the experimental program. I got an OGS so they still wanted to admit me even though there were no more spots in the clinical program. Glad I have an offer from a clinical program where I live, but I was extremely disappointed and heartbroken to find this out.

For anyone still waiting to hear from McMaster, unfortunately I can confirm that all the spots in the clinical program have been offered and accepted.

PM'ed you!

On 3/12/2021 at 11:37 PM, lishlish said:

Hey everyone,

I am in my third year at Mac and planning on applying for the next admission cycle to McMaster (RCT), UofT (SC), and Ryerson for clinical psych. I know a lot of schools waived GRE requirements for this admission cycle. I contacted U of T clinical psych, and they confirmed they would waive the GRE scores for the next (2022-2023) cycle, and I know McMaster and Ryerson do not require it. However, I am worried about how this will affect later applying for a Ph.D. as the admissions often require/assume GRE completion. I am wondering what your opinions are on me taking it this summer or not (this would be my first time). I wouldn't want to spend a whole summer studying when I could be completing more research if I do not have to :).  Sorry if this doesn't make sense LOL. I am just worried about not completing the GRE and it affecting me later on. 

I also was hoping for some general tips and tips on completing applications for multiple schools. Did you ask your referees to fill out recommendations for multiple schools? I am a little worried about overwhelming them, but I also want to apply to as many schools as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey there, for the GRE requirement for PhD programs, you only would have to worry about that if you were a) applying to clinical PhD programs from a non-clinical masters program OR, b) transferring schools between your clinical masters and clinical PhD program. The vast majority of students will complete their clinical PhD at the same school where they did their clinical masters. My understanding is that moving from the masters to the PhD level for clinical psychology at the same school is fairly straightforward as long as you did not struggle to meet the masters level requirements (such as completing your thesis on time, or showing appropriate clinical skills/judgement). So if the GRE was not required for masters-level admission, you would not have to take it to move on to the PhD program at that same school. However, If you are planning to do an experimental masters and then apply to clinical programs at the PhD level then you may have to provide GRE scores for PhD admission, but it sounds like this is not the case for you. If you do not want to take the GRE, I would make a list of clinical programs you are interested in and just make sure that they do not require the GRE for masters admission. You will not need GRE scores to move onto PhD later on (assuming you stay at the same school).

As for multiple reference letters, yes it can feel awkward asking for several letters but (in my opinion) there's no way around this and referees are generally fine with it. I asked one of my referees for 10 letters this year! The best thing you can do is be extremely well organized.  Give referees at least 1 month to complete their letters. Mine preferred to have all the information they needed for all schools at the same time so that they could write and submit in one go. I organized a table and personalized it for each of my referees that had the following information: school name, program name, program type (MSc/MA), addressee (department of psychology at UofX), area of research interest at each school (so that the letter can be tailored to fit each program), letter due date, and most importantly, specific submission instructions (will they receive a link? send letter to a specific email address? letter template required?). This will not only deter them from saying no to writing so many letters but also help ensure they don't make mistakes and forget a letter/address to the wrong school etc. I think that I started planning out reference letters about 2 months before my due dates as it takes time to gather all this info. Also keep in mind that if you apply to CGS-M, or OGS at some schools (ex. Windsor), you will need an additional reference letter for these applications. Hope this helps!

52 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Hey there, for the GRE requirement for PhD programs, you only would have to worry about that if you were a) applying to clinical PhD programs from a non-clinical masters program OR, b) transferring schools between your clinical masters and clinical PhD program. The vast majority of students will complete their clinical PhD at the same school where they did their clinical masters. My understanding is that moving from the masters to the PhD level for clinical psychology at the same school is fairly straightforward as long as you did not struggle to meet the masters level requirements (such as completing your thesis on time, or showing appropriate clinical skills/judgement). So if the GRE was not required for masters-level admission, you would not have to take it to move on to the PhD program at that same school. However, If you are planning to do an experimental masters and then apply to clinical programs at the PhD level then you may have to provide GRE scores for PhD admission, but it sounds like this is not the case for you. If you do not want to take the GRE, I would make a list of clinical programs you are interested in and just make sure that they do not require the GRE for masters admission. You will not need GRE scores to move onto PhD later on (assuming you stay at the same school).

As for multiple reference letters, yes it can feel awkward asking for several letters but (in my opinion) there's no way around this and referees are generally fine with it. I asked one of my referees for 10 letters this year! The best thing you can do is be extremely well organized.  Give referees at least 1 month to complete their letters. Mine preferred to have all the information they needed for all schools at the same time so that they could write and submit in one go. I organized a table and personalized it for each of my referees that had the following information: school name, program name, program type (MSc/MA), addressee (department of psychology at UofX), area of research interest at each school (so that the letter can be tailored to fit each program), letter due date, and most importantly, specific submission instructions (will they receive a link? send letter to a specific email address? letter template required?). This will not only deter them from saying no to writing so many letters but also help ensure they don't make mistakes and forget a letter/address to the wrong school etc. I think that I started planning out reference letters about 2 months before my due dates as it takes time to gather all this info. Also keep in mind that if you apply to CGS-M, or OGS at some schools (ex. Windsor), you will need an additional reference letter for these applications. Hope this helps!

This was very very helpful! thanks so much for the detailed response :)

11 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when you refer to "you would only have to worry about that if you were applying to clinical PhD programs from a non-clinical masters program" does the GRE still matter even if isn't required by the school? I would assume if they don't need it for masters level admission then they wouldn't for PhD? But if they require it at the masters then incoming PhD students would need it too.

17 hours ago, C.Psych.22 said:

Hi everyone, how comparable are the School/Clinical Child Psych programs at OISE and Alberta?

Both

• Training is in BOTH school and clinical child psychology
  • Follow the scientist-practitioner model
  • PhD is accredited by the CPA
  • Master-level course work designed to prepare you for the PhD
  • Require full-time enrolment
  • Require min 3.7 for consideration (note: U of A’s website says they’ll take your application if you have a min GPA of 3.0, but realistically it’s rare for someone under a 3.7 to be admitted), but how this average is determined differs by program (i.e., U of A is looking at your last 20 courses and psych GPA whereas U of T takes either the final-year average or the average of the most recent five courses depending on whether a student was in full- or part-time studies)

UAlberta SCCP

• Currently delivered via the Department of Educational Psychology, the Faculty of Education, and the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
  • MEd and PhD in Educational Psychology, SCCP

UAlberta SCCP - MEd

• Measurement Theory I 
  • Practice of School & Clinical Child Psychology 
  • Ethical and Professional Issues in Psychological Practice 
  • Introduction to Methods of Educational Research 
  • Foundations of Psychological Assessment
  • School & Clinical Based Intervention (note: includes practicum in year 1; usually delivering a manualized intervention to children with anxiety in the campus clinic)
  • Quantitative Methods I
  • Individual Psychological Assessment (note: includes practicum in year 2; min of 500 hours in the campus clinic)
  • Adolescent/Child Development Theories and Issues
  • Assessment for Effective Intervention: School and Clinical Applications 
  • Assessment for Effective Intervention Practicum (note: includes a continuation of the practicum in year 2 in the campus clinic with an opportunity to do two in-school assessments)
  • Foundations of Child & Adolescent Intervention
  • Thesis

Length: 6 sessions (F/W/S + F/W/S, but some people may or may not need the final summer to finish)
Time limit: 4 years (but all course work must be completed in the first two years with your cohort)
Funding: No guaranteed funding, but students apply for TA and GRA work and for awards

UAlberta SCCP - PhD

• Developmental Psychopathology
  • Advanced Assessment
  • SCCP School Practicum Placement (note: 2 days a week from sept to April in a clinical-based practicum; min of 700 hours between both practicums in PhD)
  • Child/Adolescent Therapy & Intervention
  • SCCP Clinical Practicum Placement (note: 2 days a week from sept to April in a clinical-based practicum; min of 700 hours between both practicums in PhD)
  • History & Systems of Psychology
  • Consultation and Evaluation in School and Clinical Child Psychology
  • Advanced Doctoral Research Seminar
  • Doctoral Statistics
  • Candidacy Examination
  • School & Clinical Child Psychology Internship (note: 1,600-hour placement, normally taken on a full-time basis over the course of a year in the final year of the student's program)

Length: 4 years full-time
Time limit: unsure, but this could probably be negotiated with your supervisor and the program
Funding: No guaranteed fuding, but new and continuing PhD students get priority for TA and GRA work over MEd students

UToronto/OISE

• MA degree
  • Delivered by the school of Graduate Studies and OISE
  • MA and PhD in SCCP (not sure if the degree title also includes Applied Psych and Human Development somewhere)

UToronto/OISE SCCP - MA

• Ethical Issues in Applied Psychology
  • Psychological Assessment of School-Aged Children
  • Psychoeducational Assessment
  • Seminar and Practicum in School-Based Assessment, Consultation, and Intervention (note: the practicum portion consists of 250 hours (one day a week from September to June) and is normally taken in a school setting)
  • Approaches to Psychotherapy-Lifespan
  • Developmental Psychopathology
  • Psychology and Education of Children with Learning Disabilities
  • Intermediate Statistics and Research Design
  • Advanced Social and Emotional Assessment Techniques
  • Cognitive/Affective bases of behaviour from an approved course listing (note: students who have a 1.0 FCE in Cognitive/Affective bases of behaviour at the senior undergraduate level approved by the program may substitute an elective course for this requirement or take Contemporary History and Systems in Human Development and Applied Psychology)
  • Thesis

Length: 6 sessions (F/W/S + F/W/S)
Time limit: 3 years (unsure if all coursework needs to be done in the first two years like U of A)
Funding: Guaranteed funding for first two years

UToronto/OISE SCCP - PhD 

• A Foundation of Program Evaluation in Social Sciences
  • Approaches to Psychotherapy Across the Lifespan
  • Seminar and Practicum in Clinical Assessment and Intervention (note: 500 hours and two days a week from September to June and is normally taken in a clinical setting)
  • Psychodiagnostic Systems
  • Assessment and Intervention with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Children, Youth, and Families
  • Advanced Proactive Behavioural and Cognitive-Behavioural Interventions OR Psychodynamic Bases of Therapy
  • 1.0 elective full-course equivalent
  • Internship in School and Clinical Child Psychology (note: 1,600-hour placement, normally taken on a full-time basis over the course of a year in the final year of the student's program)
  • Comprehensive Examination
  • Doctoral dissertation
  • Note: Students who are entering with their master’s degree from other programs are required to do additional course work

Length: 5 years full-time
Time limit: 6 years full-time
Funding: First 3 years of PhD is previously funded in the master’s program (otherwise they will fund four full years)

For further questions about each program, I suggest having a look over each of the program websites. Either way, both programs will prepare you for research and practice, and both will train you across school and clinical child psychology. It seems each program takes a similar yet different approach. Each program divides up the structure and course content slightly differently between the master-level work and the PhD.

Edited by VanessaB