2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

5 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Has anyone heard from OISE?

With exception of few early acceptances, I feel like we won't hear back until early March. I've read on multiple OISE admissions-related sites that majority of official decision letters go out in March. 

Has anyone heard back from the child clinical track at Windsor? I was talking to my POI recently and unfortunately she is not able to accept a student anymore, however she said that if I haven’t heard anything I am technically still being considered? I know my chances are very slim now and my portal still just says “in process” but just wondering if anyone had heard any definitive news. 

12 hours ago, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

if anybody has heard back from the child track at windsor pls dm me! 

36 minutes ago, Cempsych said:

Has anyone heard back from the child clinical track at Windsor? I was talking to my POI recently and unfortunately she is not able to accept a student anymore, however she said that if I haven’t heard anything I am technically still being considered? I know my chances are very slim now and my portal still just says “in process” but just wondering if anyone had heard any definitive news. 

I still have not heard anything either - my app status has been "in process" since November 30. I read on the website that they expect to send stuff at the end of February, so maybe something is coming? who knows tho...

Got an acceptance letter from U of Manitoba today! Feel free to PM me if you did too-- I'd love to chat!! (Also feel free to PM for POI as well :))

School: University of Manitoba

TypeClinical Psychology Masters/PhD

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Acceptance

Type of Notification: Email from Department (a letter)

Date Notified: 2/25/21

DM for POI: Yes

8 hours ago, Plzletmein said:

Hey, has anyone that received a panel interview from Queens Clinical heard back about an open house invitation? 

hi! i've received an invite :) feel free to message me for any details and good luck to everyone!

Edited by chamomile tea

On 2/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, SP2017 said:

Has anyone applied to the School and Applied Child Psychology program at McGill University? Are you guys aware of what their timelines are like? I don't see much in the way of postings on the results page for this program with the last posted results from 2019 and earlier. 

Any insights would be appreciated!! Alternatively feel free to DM me if you don't feel comfortable responding here :) 

I did! Had a few calls with my POI and she said the department should be sending out acceptances very soon. Also not seeing a lot people posting about it anywhere, wondering if people dislike this program for some reason? 

6 hours ago, schoolpsychnewbie said:

I did! Had a few calls with my POI and she said the department should be sending out acceptances very soon. Also not seeing a lot people posting about it anywhere, wondering if people dislike this program for some reason? 

It is probably because most applicants to School psychology programs do not have their masters and are mainly looking at programs in the united states. 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:56 PM, criticalthinker said:

Has anyone here applied to the clinical psychology program (PhD R/I) at UdeM or does anyone know what their timeline looks like? Any info is appreciated!

Hey there, I think they send the invites out end of February/beginning March.  You can check out this fb group “Le doctorat en psycho ce n’est pas un mythe” for French unis in Qc ? 

11 hours ago, NeuronYourOwn said:

Hey there, I think they send the invites out end of February/beginning March.  You can check out this fb group “Le doctorat en psycho ce n’est pas un mythe” for French unis in Qc ? 

That's great - thank you!

7 hours ago, SP2017 said:

For the person who posted an acceptance to the University of Winsor on the Results Page, would you mind dming the POI who provided you with the offer? Thanks so much and huge congratulations! :)❤️ 

Me too please!! 

Has anyone heard anything from McMaster RCT regarding acceptances/rejections/waitlist??? I did not interview there so I am assuming rejection, but really want a definitive decision before I decide on other schools! I emailed the graduate coordinator from the program, and I got an automatic reply basically saying they are not answering any questions related to application status.

If anyone has any insight regarding where they are in the admissions process, that would be very much appreciated - feel free to message me!

TIA ?

5 hours ago, janelove said:

Has anyone heard anything from McMaster RCT regarding acceptances/rejections/waitlist??? I did not interview there so I am assuming rejection, but really want a definitive decision before I decide on other schools! I emailed the graduate coordinator from the program, and I got an automatic reply basically saying they are not answering any questions related to application status.

If anyone has any insight regarding where they are in the admissions process, that would be very much appreciated - feel free to message me!

TIA ?

McMaster has sent out offers and to my understanding also informed people who were wait-listed. 

Hey guys, this is my first time on this site! I am a undergrad applying to clinical psych next year and I was wondering how many schools you guys applied to? 

Also, to anyone who got in anywhere, do you had any advice for how to succeed in your application? Did you have any publications, a lot of research experience, a lot of extracurriculars, a good GPA? I would appreciate any info! 

8 minutes ago, thal10 said:

Hey guys, this is my first time on this site! I am a undergrad applying to clinical psych next year and I was wondering how many schools you guys applied to? 

Also, to anyone who got in anywhere, do you had any advice for how to succeed in your application? Did you have any publications, a lot of research experience, a lot of extracurriculars, a good GPA? I would appreciate any info! 

In my most recent undergrad, my advanced research prof told us to apply to at least 10 schools, especially for clinical. I suggest a minimum of 10, but it also depends on your goals, interests, and capacity (e.g., time you have to put together high-quality, focused, and school-specific applications). When I was ready to apply, I only applied to 5 schools because I was looking for something very specific and I was (and still am) anti GRE, so that eliminated a lot of schools. However, most schools require the GRE (or at least they did in pre-Covid times), but that trend may shift as the pandemic continues.

All of the things you listed are quite important, but some schools will use GPA first to cut down their applicant pool before looking more closely at your application, so definitely work on your GPA in conjunction with obtaining research and clinical experience. I've heard schools will also look closely at your research and statistics courses, so excellent grades are important in those courses, too. A combination of long-term research, work, and/or volunteer experiences related to clinical psychology is advantageous as many applicants will have some unique combination of these, and you will likely need to write about these experiences in your letters/statements of intent.

The fit with the program and research supervisors is very important. Your referees should also be able to speak to specific skills. It's a good idea to scope out who your references will be, and develop strong, close connections with these individuals. Given that I had multiple people I could select from for my referees, depending on the goals of the school and programs, I asked different people to write letters, but depending on where you apply and what your experiences are, you might not take this approach. As well, think about what makes you unique and different from all other applicants applying, and really play up these strengths in your letters.

Also, you might want to consider whether you want to do your own research study or if you're okay doing someone else's research. When I reached out to supervisors in my application cycle, one supervisor told me that students usually work on their "partner's projects" so that students finish the program on time. On the other hand, my supervisor now is very flexible and I get to exercise my creativity. She serves as a sounding board as I guide my own learning, which I very much prefer! So, also consider supervisor style and your own learning and professional goals when you consider fit.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:08 AM, SP2017 said:

For the person who posted an acceptance to the University of Winsor on the Results Page, would you mind dming the POI who provided you with the offer? Thanks so much and huge congratulations! :)❤️ 

Me too please :)

3 hours ago, thal10 said:

Hello! It's so great that you're already looking ahead and thinking of applying!

In terms of how many schools to apply to, it really depends on personal preference. Of course, if you apply to more schools it seems that you have a better chance of being admitted, but with that in mind I think it's important to apply to places you want to go to (this sounds obvious, but with such a competitive program, it's so easy to want to accept anything you can get). I applied to six schools this year, all of which I could genuinely see myself at for five or six years. Some successful applicants I know applied to one school and got into that one, while others applied to ten or fifteen and were accepted into one--it really depends! In my opinion, the most important thing is to really know what you want to do, and take your time looking into faculty supervisors that would be a good fit. Some things that helped me with that include asking my thesis supervisor for suggestions or to help establish initial connections, attending research conferences, and honestly, just taking my time.

My best advice on how to succeed is just to be authentic with yourself throughout the process, something that will show through your statement of purpose. To me and several faculty members I've talked with, that's the most important part of an application. I would write several drafts of this, start weeks (or even months) in advance, and ask trusted faculty for their opinion. Think of it as a way for you to convince your potential supervisors that you want to work with them, and why they would want to work with you. It's one of the few parts of a grad application you can really make your own.

I think most supervisors consider applications holistically rather than zeroing in on one or two parts of it, which means that all areas are important and it's worth strengthening each of them as much as you can. These include research experience (research assistantships, grants and awards, publications, conference presentations, so on), GPA, grades in specific courses, GRE scores, reference letters, extracurriculars, and clinical experience if applicable. By the time people are thinking of applying to grad school they often can't do too much to shift their GPA, so I'd advise really focusing on research and clinical experiences. With these, to me, depth is more important than breadth. Being in a number of different labs at once can make you look experienced, but can also come across as unfocused and disorganized (saying this from personal experience, haha). Compare that to spending a few years working with the same faculty member, potentially getting to develop your own projects, contribute to journal articles, and really forming a solid connection with your supervisor (who will then be able to write a strong, detailed, specific letter).

On that note, I recently heard from a supervisor that some faculty are increasingly taking reference letters with a grain of salt. The majority of letters are exceedingly positive, but often unspecific or vague. I'd never thought about it this way before, but it does make sense, and it makes it all the more crucial to have referees who can highlight your unique strengths and capabilities.

Another thing people often wonder is whether and how to reach out to potential supervisors as application season approaches. There's a lot out there on this, so I'll keep this short, but it can be a great way to establish a connection and let them know of your interest early on. It can also be useful in addressing any early questions you have and helping you figure out whether or not a particular lab or supervisor is a good fit for you.

Just for reference, here is a little more about my qualifications and my experience with applying this year. I've been accepted to one school so far this year, with four interviews (three more that I'm waiting to hear back from). I didn't apply with any publications. My GPA and GRE scores are strong (> 3.90 cGPA; 165 Quant, 167 Verbal, 5.5 Writing). I've been in three research labs (none were clinical), each for at least one year, completed an honours thesis, won a handful of departmental and research awards, and am preparing a manuscript for publication. I also had been accepted to present a poster at a research conference. I also TA'd, though not for anything psychology-related. I currently work at a medical clinic and have worked intensively with children with developmental disabilities (not quite clinical or related to my field of research, but I definitely could draw from this experience to answer interview questions and write my statement). I don't know how important this is, but I was also pretty involved in my university community and engaged in a lot of leadership and mentorship opportunities. 

With that said, please don't feel as if you have to compare your experiences to mine, or to anyone else's! Everyone is so different and it took me so much time to identify what I was passionate about. I know this isn't a linear list of steps you can take to be more successful, and this may sound obvious, but there isn't a single specific route to get you there. I'm hoping this is still somewhat helpful, and I wish you all the best! ❤️ 

13 hours ago, Schoolchildpsyc said:

Wondering if anyone applied to Western, Alberta, UBC, or OISE for school/child psychology? I understand the focus here is clinical (Alberta/OISE have a clinical focus).

Any updates with interviews/acceptances?

I applied to Western's School and Applied Child Psychology program, PhD. I have not yet heard anything yet! I did get a rejection last week from Western's Clinical Program sadly :( but nothing yet from the Education department.