2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

4 hours ago, Hopefulgradapply said:

Anyone heard back from OISE CCP (interviews or acceptances/rejections)?

I understand they had interviews about two weeks ago. I didn’t hear after my interview, but some people already getting acceptances. 

Preemptive question but do we think it's possible to be an RA for a lab that isn't in your province? I know a lot if not all of RA positions now are remote, so, would it be feasible to be an RA for a university that wasn't where you lived to gain more experience?

11 hours ago, ipsh said:

i had my status updated in Myfile last week - rejection.

They’re way behind schedule - just had an initial interview this Monday at York and the PI warned me they’re very behind. Although I think by now most initial interview invites should have been sent. 

On 2/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, Psychologystudent2021 said:

Has York finished conducting interviews? Noticed the above poster said a mass rejection letter went out and that their application status changed in the portal. My application status still says “No decision made - currently under consideration” but I haven’t heard back from any professors for an interview and I haven’t received a rejection email. 

I had my initial interview on Monday for York (received the invite early last week). The PI warned that York is really behind this year and she doesn’t know yet when second round interviews will be scheduled. 

5 hours ago, Annapple1 said:

I had my initial interview on Monday for York (received the invite early last week). The PI warned that York is really behind this year and she doesn’t know yet when second round interviews will be scheduled. 

This confuses me a bit since York doesn’t do second round interviews, unless it’s different for CD. I know that for clinical it’s just one interview and then the PI decides. 

1 hour ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

This confuses me a bit since York doesn’t do second round interviews, unless it’s different for CD. I know that for clinical it’s just one interview and then the PI decides. 

That’s what I heard too! They just have one interview and the PI decides. Can anyone confirm for cd? Thanks! (So tired of interviewing... please only one lol)

25 minutes ago, Psychqueen said:

That’s what I heard too! They just have one interview and the PI decides. Can anyone confirm for cd? Thanks! (So tired of interviewing... please only one lol)

I'm applying to the CD area and I think it's up to the PI. I met with my PI on Monday but I'm also meeting with his grad students and post-doc on seperate days. He mentioned that we might "connect" again after the open house but didn't mention whether that would be a second formal interview. 

1 hour ago, Psychqueen said:

Oh that’s good to know! She didn’t mention a second interview, just that it would be a couple weeks before I heard back. I just assumed they would be scheduling a second interview! 

1 hour ago, Terelia said:

I'm applying to the CD area and I think it's up to the PI. I met with my PI on Monday but I'm also meeting with his grad students and post-doc on seperate days. He mentioned that we might "connect" again after the open house but didn't mention whether that would be a second formal interview. 

Now I’m confused as well! When she invited me she said it was an initial interview, but then didn’t say what the next steps were, just that they were behind and she was hoping to be able to let me know in a couple weeks (but she didn’t say what she would let me know about, whether that’s an offer or more interviews). Everywhere else I’ve interviewed had two rounds so I just assumed it would be a second round. 

3 hours ago, Annapple1 said:

Now I’m confused as well! When she invited me she said it was an initial interview, but then didn’t say what the next steps were, just that they were behind and she was hoping to be able to let me know in a couple weeks (but she didn’t say what she would let me know about, whether that’s an offer or more interviews). Everywhere else I’ve interviewed had two rounds so I just assumed it would be a second round. 

The next step would be the open house on feb 26! and I believe next time youre in touch will be about an offer or rejection etc

Just now, freudianslipintogradschool said:

The next step would be the open house on feb 26! and I believe next time youre in touch will be about an offer or rejection etc

Good to know! I was invited to the open house but I thought it was more of a general info open house. Overall confused by York’s process haha 

1 hour ago, Annapple1 said:

Good to know! I was invited to the open house but I thought it was more of a general info open house. Overall confused by York’s process haha 

I think it is more of a general info open house! At least that's the vibe I got but I could be wrong hahah

On 2/7/2021 at 2:14 PM, admissionsrhard said:

For people who are assuming rejections this year and will be applying again (and also for people who have applied more than once before). I would like to know how to move forward:

1. Did you apply to the same PI's again? Do you find new PI's?

- If so, how do you go about handling the rejection this year. Do I email them asking how to improve my application? Do I tell them I intend on applying again in the fall? Is it weird if I ask to volunteer/ work in their lab over the summer?? 

2. What can I do over the next few months to improve my application? I am graduating from undergrad in April. My GPA seems to be alright. I don't have any publications so I suppose thats something to focus on. I am trying to find another research position for work. There's probably a lot more I can do that is not coming to mind right now.

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated!

This is my second time applying so I can definitely speak to these really good questions (all things I was wondering last year!

(1) I only applied to 3 schools last year and this year, I applied to 2/3 of the same supervisors - this year I was accepted to 1 and waitlisted to the other. I did reach out after I got the rejection letter and thanked them for their time, let them know I would apply next year (they encouraged this as well - I think most POIs do), and asked if there was anything in my application they thought I could improve upon. Specifically one POI wrote me back a very detailed and kind email with phenomenal and super well-crafted advice about my application. That being said, I absolutely think you can ask for this even if you didn't interview with them. The worst they can say is no! 

I didn't ask to volunteer in their lab/work over the summer because they were in another province, but had they been close to home I definitely would have asked. Where things are remote this year, you should absolutely ask just in case they do have something available! I think that would look very keen on your end and again, they may say yes and you have your foot in the door for next year! 

(2) Once you finish your honours thesis, you will have a lot more to strengthen your CV with! Talk to your honours supervisor about potentially publishing your thesis, and see if you can submit to conferences related to your research.  This is super easy right now because everything is virtual, so conferences are more accessible than ever. You could also see if there is a paid position in your lab (or another lab) as an RA or even Research Coordinator once you graduate, which would strengthen your CV even further.

I'm not sure how much this added to my application, but I also volunteered with Kid's Help Phone as a Crisis Responder (they're always looking for volunteers) and felt this really prepared me for questions about how I knew I wanted to be a Clinical Psychologist and other clinical based questions. It's also an amazing volunteer opportunity for those who want to go into this field, super rewarding and helped me grow so much as a person! I 1000% recommend :)

Lastly, do not give up hope!!!! This is an extremely hard program to get into (harder than med school and law school combined). Most people do not get in on their first try ESPECIALLY while still in undergrad - cut yourself some slack. You are doing so great. This was a hard pill that I had to swallow last year so trust me, I know that it hurts. If this ends up being a gap year for you, appreciate that in its entirety! This is the first time you won't be in school since you were so young! Enjoy it! Try to build your CV as much as you can, spend time with your family and friends, and relax. You earned a break and it will be very much appreciated once you do enter a taxing graduate program (which you absolutely will eventually!). Good luck! 

2 hours ago, aaapal said:

Hi friends!

Is it worth it to go back and "re-open" your degree to retake courses or take additional courses as a Post-Bacc in order to increase your GPA? 

This is a great question and I'm interested in others' input as well! On a related note, how important of a role does GPA plays in the admissions process? For example, assuming both are above the cutoff, does a 3.9 make a big difference relative to a 3.7? Any experiences with getting acceptances/interviews with below a 3.6-3.7 (or whatever the cutoff is at a given school)? Thanks in advance! :)