2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

10 minutes ago, egyptianintoronto said:

Has anyone heard from KG at York U? and, does anyone know if all York interviews have already gone out? 

I also applied to KG, along with at least one other person on here I've talked to. Neither of us have heard anything from them! I think I remember reading a post that the York open house is set to be on Feb 26 (2 weeks from now) so it may be late for invitations to go out. I can't confirm that this is true though so please take with a grain of salt

On 2/10/2021 at 9:33 PM, Psychologystudent2021 said:

To anyone who has not heard from UNB: Check your application portal. Mine said not admissible to the program. If you click view actions, then decision history, than download, it takes you to a rejection letter. Good luck everyone!

Is everyone on this thread talking about UNB in Fredericton? I can’t find these action links 

1 hour ago, IWannaBeAPsychGal said:

Shoutout to Windsor for sending an email from the admissions office about an info session for Master of Actuarial Science and Master of Applied Economics and Policy.. what a disappointing way to wake up lol

don't even get me started. Windsor's incessant emails about information sessions and stuff has been sooo anxiety provoking for me. i swear my heart skips a beat only to later realize its a stupid mass email from admissions 

Accepted to Lakehead, 3rd time applying to clinical programs.

To people that are applying for the first time, second time, third time - Keep persevering. Keep volunteering, gain research experience, put time into good mentoring relationships, build your CV, push for publications, work hard and don't despair. It's important to be honest about the fact that this is not an easy process and if it doesn't work out, your efforts are still great and this may just not be your year. Strength and guidance to everyone accepted and rejected this round.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, goingcoconuts said:

Is everyone on this thread talking about UNB in Fredericton? I can’t find these action links 

I also applied to UNB in Fredericton (but didn't interview) and I can't see these action links either. My status still says "Thank you for submitting your application ..."

Does anyone have any advice on sending a thank you email after a panel interview? The clinical coordinator of the program wasn't there, but 3 faculty members were - should I send one to them all? Or the coordinator of the program even though they weren't there? If anyone has any advice on this (including what to include in the email) I would appreciate it!

Edited by okayidk

1 hour ago, okayidk said:

Does anyone have any advice on sending a thank you email after a panel interview? The clinical coordinator of the program wasn't there, but 3 faculty members were - should I send one to them all? Or the coordinator of the program even though they weren't there? If anyone has any advice on this (including what to include in the email) I would appreciate it!

would say send brief separate  individualized emails and personalize it to their specific interaction or input during the panel interview. I have not had a panel interview for grad school so maybe this is not a thing like for job panel interviews.....And I guess another way to think of it- is you get to connect with 3 of them separately maybe one will slip and give you an informal hint about next steps lol! I once sent separate personalized thank-you emails to a panel- I did not get the job. One of them we really connected and stayed in touch and later gave me a heads up on a new opportunity that came up.

Oh my gosh, I wasn't even thinking about sending a thank you email after a panel interview. I always send one for independent interviews, but I didn't think that that was something that you would do for a panel interview. Would it be strange for me to send a thank you email now (a day later)?

On 2/11/2021 at 12:32 PM, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

It's my understanding that according to the CPA, accredited clinical programs must allow applicants sufficient time to accept offers, or up until April 15th. See link below for accreditation standards from the CPA for clinical programs. This is done to protect applicants! This section is from page 18:

140360283_ScreenShot2021-02-11at10_58_08AM.thumb.png.0c1f2a76917b0a7c4d26ca51cbdf9cf8.png

https://cpa.ca/docs/File/Accreditation/Accreditation_2011.pdf

It's a CUDCP policy that extends across North America. Also, students may not hold more than 2 offers for more than a week. 

https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

6 hours ago, psychstudent111 said:

Accepted to Lakehead, 3rd time applying to clinical programs.

To people that are applying for the first time, second time, third time - Keep persevering. Keep volunteering, gain research experience, put time into good mentoring relationships, build your CV, push for publications, work hard and don't despair. It's important to be honest about the fact that this is not an easy process and if it doesn't work out, your efforts are still great and this may just not be your year. Strength and guidance to everyone accepted and rejected this round.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 3.49.10 PM.png

1 hour ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Does anyone have any insight on what next year's application cycle will look like? Less competitive? More competitive? Do you think the GRE is gone for good at most schools? 

Schools are very tight-lipped about next year because they have no idea on what the world will look like. Given there is a projection for vaccines to be given out by the end of this year (however unlikely), they are probably going to keep the same measures in place - however I do not have any evidence for this. In terms of competitiveness, it should be similar to this year as if they do decide to remove the GRE for another year, then expect similar numbers. From what I heard from a few schools and that twitter post above, the number of applicants has been staggering, however the number of applicants invited to interview, have also been higher!

Just now, Sephix said:

Schools are very tight-lipped about next year because they have no idea on what the world will look like. Given there is a projection for vaccines to be given out by the end of this year (however unlikely), they are probably going to keep the same measures in place - however I do not have any evidence for this. In terms of competitiveness, it should be similar to this year as if they do decide to remove the GRE for another year, then expect similar numbers. From what I heard from a few schools and that twitter post above, the number of applicants has been staggering, however the number of applicants invited to interview, have also been higher!

In this same vain, if you are not good at taking the GRE or have not done well on it, but are stronger overall (minus the GRE), you are a HIGHER chance of getting in to a program (if all the other pieces are good such as fit and interest etc. etc. etc.) - This year sucks for those who use the GRE to help strengthen their application...