2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

For those wondering about OISE CCP, I was told by the program administrator that applications are still being reviewed and some faculty are reaching out to applicants for more information but not all faculty will need to do this. So, not sure if that means some POIs will select applicants without reaching out for an interview...? But anyways, they said late March is when they're aiming to have all applicants contacted. I suspect those accepted will here back a lot sooner though! 

18 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

For those wondering about OISE CCP, I was told by the program administrator that applications are still being reviewed and some faculty are reaching out to applicants for more information but not all faculty will need to do this. So, not sure if that means some POIs will select applicants without reaching out for an interview...? But anyways, they said late March is when they're aiming to have all applicants contacted. I suspect those accepted will here back a lot sooner though! 

Thank you so much for the much-needed update! Do you have any idea around when applicants got accepted in previous years by any chance?

11 hours ago, Chebben said:

The first round of acceptances for UTSC's clinical psychology program have just gone out! 4 applicants were contacted. 

Congratulations to those who received acceptances! 

I'm not really well-versed in the process, do you know if there are more rounds of acceptances that go out, or if UTSC is accepting only 4 students this year? Thanks in advance :)

6 minutes ago, egyptianintoronto said:

Thank you so much for the much-needed update! Do you have any idea around when applicants got accepted in previous years by any chance?

Based on past years (looking at the Results page), people accepted tended to hear in early March, whereas a lot of people rejected found out at the end of March.

Hi everyone. I thought I'd reach out on here as I'm looking for some advice. I recently found out I was accepted to a counselling psychology program where I have an option to do a thesis. I also applied to 3 clinical programs but no success this year. My goal is to work as a psychologist and also perhaps in academia in the future. My conflict is whether I could continue into clinical psychology after this program or whether pursuing counselling psychology would close that door. I know that the work in counselling and clinical tends to overlap quite a bit, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to continue reapplying to clinical every year given how competitive it is. Apologizes if this is the wrong place for this, but I appreciate any insight or advice! Thank you.

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has heard from the Neuropsychology track at Windsor? I've seen some posts about Child and Adult tracks but not much from neuro. I read that the tracks send out invites separately but not sure if this is the case this year. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has heard from the Neuropsychology track at Windsor? I've seen some posts about Child and Adult tracks but not much from neuro. I read that the tracks send out invites separately but not sure if this is the case this year. Thanks!

Windsor concluded interviews for clinical neuropsychology earlier this week and final decisions are expected within the next 1-2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Edge98 said:

Hi everyone. I thought I'd reach out on here as I'm looking for some advice. I recently found out I was accepted to a counselling psychology program where I have an option to do a thesis. I also applied to 3 clinical programs but no success this year. My goal is to work as a psychologist and also perhaps in academia in the future. My conflict is whether I could continue into clinical psychology after this program or whether pursuing counselling psychology would close that door. I know that the work in counselling and clinical tends to overlap quite a bit, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to continue reapplying to clinical every year given how competitive it is. Apologizes if this is the wrong place for this, but I appreciate any insight or advice! Thank you.

If you do your master's in counselling psychology, the door won't be closed to clinical psychology. However, the door might be harder to open, especially because most clinical programs reserve their PhD spots for their current masters students. 

There's a girl who went through our school/clinical child psyc PhD program who did her master's in the counselling field. While studying counselling, she researched a very specific population, which was exactly what her PhD supervisor was researching. So, it is possible to switch your focus, but I'm not sure how common that is.

Also, keep in mind some clinical programs will expect you to have completed certain coursework. Thus, if you go the counselling route and have some schools for clinical psych in mind, it would be a good idea to determine what prerequisite courses you need for the clinical PhD and try to take those classes alongside your master's program in counselling.

Edited by VanessaB

8 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

If you do your master's in counselling psychology, the door won't be closed to clinical psychology. However, the door might be harder to open, especially because most clinical programs reserve their PhD spots for their current masters students. 

There's a girl who went through our school/clinical child psyc PhD program who did her master's in the counselling field. While studying counselling, she researched a very specific population, which was exactly what her PhD supervisor was researching. So, it is possible to switch courses, but I'm not sure how common that is.

Also, keep in mind some clinical programs will expect you to have completed certain coursework. Thus, if you go the counselling route and have some schools for clinical psych in mind, it would be a good idea to determine what perquisite courses you need for the clinical PhD and try to take those classes alongside a master's program in counselling.

Thank you for this! I have heard that those who switched did have to complete additional coursework, which is what I would expect to do as well. That or just apply as a master's student for clinical programs with a counselling master's as well. I seen a few times on here that it is becoming more common for clinical applicants to have a master's already, would counselling be beneficial in this aspect or just appear like I don't know what I want to do? 

51 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

Thank you for this! I have heard that those who switched did have to complete additional coursework, which is what I would expect to do as well. That or just apply as a master's student for clinical programs with a counselling master's as well. I seen a few times on here that it is becoming more common for clinical applicants to have a master's already, would counselling be beneficial in this aspect or just appear like I don't know what I want to do? 

There's a lot of overlap between the two. With your master's in counselling, I suspect you'd have really strong clinical interviewing skills and therapeutic intervention skills, so I don't think it would look unfocused if phrased carefully.

Edited by VanessaB

2 hours ago, Edge98 said:

From personal experience - you can! I did a terminal MA in counselling psych (with thesis) and am now doing a clinical + counselling PhD program (OISE). I think the key thing is doing a thesis. It's also good to check the equivalent course requirements for any future clinical programs, to make sure your training lines up as much as possible :) 

Edited by +ve regard

2 minutes ago, +ve regard said:

From personal experience - you can! I did a terminal MA (with thesis) and am now doing a clinical + counselling PhD program (OISE). I think the key thing is doing a thesis. It's also good to check the equivalent course requirements for any future clinical programs, to make sure your training lines up as much as possible :) 

Thank you! Do you mind if I pm you to chat more about your experience with this? 

3 hours ago, Edge98 said:

I know many people who did clinical after a counselling MA so I think it’s definitely an option!!! Congrats on getting in btw!

23 minutes ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I know many people who did clinical after a counselling MA so I think it’s definitely an option!!! Congrats on getting in btw!

Thank you! Do you know whether the title holds any merit (ie. MEd versus MA)? or does it just matter more if it's thesis-based?

School: York 

Program: Clinical Psychology (Developmental)

Date of invite: February 6th (Saturday! Wild!)

Date of interview: February 11th

DM for POI: Sure

Im BUZZING. The invite was from my POI and mentioned that there's also an open house end of February. 

20 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

Thank you! Do you know whether the title holds any merit (ie. MEd versus MA)? or does it just matter more if it's thesis-based?

That's a good question! I don't know if it matters per se one person I'm thinking of has a MEd. Tbh I think the most important thing would still be your research productivity and experience. I dont think the MA or MEd in counselling would hurt you as long as your application still provides evidence for your skills as a researcher

Edited by freudianslipintogradschool
typo

I received an official rejection from UCalgary for clinical psyc today, which I knew was coming as I did not advance to open house as well as my application was never forwarded to the PI I was hoping to work with (not core faculty). 

On the other hand - I received an offer of admission to the UCalgary SACP program last night, which I will be accepting and am very happy about! 

4 hours ago, VanessaB said:

There's a lot of overlap between the two. With your master's in counselling, I suspect you'd have really strong clinical interviewing skills and therapeutic intervention skills, so I don't think it would look unfocused if phrased carefully.

Following up on the counselling psychology discussion, my impression was that counselling and clinical PhD training can both result in a registered psychologist designation? And counselling MAs/PhDs do offer training in assessment, diagnosis, and evidence-based practice, at the least the MA program I applied to. 

27 minutes ago, CateFace said:

I received an official rejection from UCalgary for clinical psyc today, which I knew was coming as I did not advance to open house as well as my application was never forwarded to the PI I was hoping to work with (not core faculty). 

On the other hand - I received an offer of admission to the UCalgary SACP program last night, which I will be accepting and am very happy about! 

Such a perfect example of one door closing and another opening - congratulations on your offer, that is so exciting!!! ❤️