2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Semi-update about York: I got an email today from my POI thanking me for interest in their lab and letting me know they're currently making a short-list and will reach out to those people soon! Get ready, its coming y'all ? (this was MW in MA Clinical Neuropsych btw)

Just now, earlgreytina said:

Semi-update about York: I got an email today from my POI thanking me for interest in their lab and letting me know they're currently making a short-list and will reach out to those people soon! Get ready, its coming y'all ? (this was MW in MA Clinical Neuropsych btw)

wooo finally. thanks for update :) 

Hey guys, I'm really excited to say that I just received an email invitation for interview day at Ryerson! I was afraid that all the invitations had already been sent out, but I guess not :)

Feel free to PM for POI initials. 

I haven't yet received any information for a second clinical interview though, but I did interview really late in the process with my POI (late last week) so hopefully I will receive that information soon.

11 minutes ago, KKrup said:

Question about Ryerson - is interview day different than the virtual visiting day? I have had an interview with my POI and a second clinical interview, should I be expecting to hear about interview day as well?

Yes the virtual visiting day is different than interviews. It's essentially an open house to learn more about the program. I believe it is up to your POI to let the grad department know if they want you to be invited to visiting day. Every prof's timelines have been different so hopefully you hear soon! Visit day is on Mon., Feb. 8th.

Update: McMaster's new M.Sc. program in Psychotherapy has started sending out interview invites, if anyone on here applied!

I know this is a clinical thread, but... Does anyone have any insight on the interview process for McMaster's Psychotherapy program? Better yet, if there are any current students in the program, could you send me a PM? Thank you! ☺️

22 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Interview

School: OISE 

Program: CCP 

Date of invite: Feb 1st, 2021

Date of interview: Over next few days 

Congratulations! All the best in your interview! Would you mind sharing your POI’s initials? 

Not sure if it makes sense to ask this here but was just looking for people's thoughts on something. I have a previous Masters in Public Health, in which I received the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for 2 consecutive years. The Ontario Government website and all university websites I've looked at (except Ryerson) states that there is a lifetime maximum of 2 years for this award if you're in a Masters program and 4 years if you're in a doctoral program, for a total lifetime max of 6 years you can get this scholarship. Ryerson Psych Dept for some reason only says it is a lifetime max of 6 years with no limits on how many years you can receive it in a Masters or Doctoral program.

My dilemma is I really don't think I'm eligible for the OGS if I do a Masters in Clin Psych depsite what Ryerson says, so not sure it's worth bugging my referees to complete an assessment form with short notice (due next week) for something I'm not eligible for. There will likely be other scholarships I'm eligible for and I would much rather ask my referees for references for those awards than this one.

What would you guys do in this situation, just apply anyways?

18 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Not sure if it makes sense to ask this here but was just looking for people's thoughts on something. I have a previous Masters in Public Health, in which I received the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for 2 consecutive years. The Ontario Government website and all university websites I've looked at (except Ryerson) states that there is a lifetime maximum of 2 years for this award if you're in a Masters program and 4 years if you're in a doctoral program, for a total lifetime max of 6 years you can get this scholarship. Ryerson Psych Dept for some reason only says it is a lifetime max of 6 years with no limits on how many years you can receive it in a Masters or Doctoral program.

My dilemma is I really don't think I'm eligible for the OGS if I do a Masters in Clin Psych depsite what Ryerson says, so not sure it's worth bugging my referees to complete an assessment form with short notice (due next week) for something I'm not eligible for. There will likely be other scholarships I'm eligible for and I would much rather ask my referees for references for those awards than this one.

What would you guys do in this situation, just apply anyways?

I would call or email the psych department & Ryerson awards office to hash out the OGS award regulations! 

7 minutes ago, broski said:

I would call or email the psych department & Ryerson awards office to hash out the OGS award regulations! 

So, I actually emailed the Psych department asking for clarification but the response is conflicting with OGS criteria on the Ontario Gov't website. But I never thought to contact the Ryerson awards office, so I'll do that instead.. thanks!

Bit of a random question, but does anyone have any advice on what to say if a POI asks you specifically about funding in an interview (and you didn't apply for funding to them)? For example, I didn't put this school as one of my 3 choices for CGS-M and stupidly wrote down the wrong deadline for OGS so it's the only school I applied for 0 funding to. I'm worried the POI will ask me why this was the case and I will sound like a dolt for saying "I forgot". 

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!