2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Interview

School: Ryerson

Program: Clinical MA &PhD 

Date of invite: Feb 2nd, 2021

Date of interview: Visiting Day Feb 8th 

DM for POI: Yes 

I'm really surprised I haven't had any contact from my POI this whole season I just got an invite from the department for visiting day! Has this happened to anyone else not having contact with their POI then getting an invite to to interview day? Should I reach out and send a separate email to my POI saying thanks?

Also the visiting day time is the same time as one my interviews at another school and im not really sure what to do ?

Edited by Rapunzel116

Has anyone applied to and heard back from Regina by chance?  Small school, so the likelihood of someone on here having applied is slim I imagine.  I applied to a handful of schools this year and have received interviews or other feedback from all of them except Regina.

Edited by Idiopathic
Typo

1 hour ago, your.local.et.al said:

Bit of a random question, but does anyone have any advice on what to say if a POI asks you specifically about funding in an interview (and you didn't apply for funding to them)? For example, I didn't put this school as one of my 3 choices for CGS-M and stupidly wrote down the wrong deadline for OGS so it's the only school I applied for 0 funding to. I'm worried the POI will ask me why this was the case and I will sound like a dolt for saying "I forgot". 

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!

POIs understand that students apply to many schools (hence why they create shortlist applicants for themselves) and that there is a limit to how many schools you can list on your scholarship applications. So, I feel POIs should know that some applicants may not have applied for funding through that university and therefore it's not a question that should be brought up. I think a general question of are you planning/have you applied for external scholarships is perfectly fine. But to explicitly ask you to comment on whether this current school was listed on your external scholarship applications seems like an overreach.

17 minutes ago, Idiopathic said:

Has anyone applied to and heard back from Regina by chance?  Small school, so the likelihood of someone on here having applied is slim I imagine.  I applied to a handful of schools this year and have received interviews or other feedback from all of them except Regina.

I applied and haven’t heard yet! I know the PI I applied to showed some interest in my application before the submission date, but haven’t heard anything. I’m guessing we won’t hear for a least a few weeks since it was due less than 3 weeks ago! Hope that helps— I wouldn’t worry yet. 

Question: How long after the interview is it appropriate to follow up with the person who interviewed you (my PI)? The wait is killing me and I think I recked my chances at the interview. So I really don't want to wait. But I also don't want to look bad by asking too soon. The turnover is supposed to be quick. I know they would have made their final decisions by now, but students don't hear back till much after because there heads have to sign off. 

26 minutes ago, Irishsnowflakes said:

Question: How long after the interview is it appropriate to follow up with the person who interviewed you (my PI)? The wait is killing me and I think I recked my chances at the interview. So I really don't want to wait. But I also don't want to look bad by asking too soon. The turnover is supposed to be quick. I know they would have made their final decisions by now, but students don't hear back till much after because there heads have to sign off. 

How long has it been since your interview?

2 hours ago, Idiopathic said:

Hi there! I have also applied to Regina. I wouldn’t worry too much yet since the application deadline was only a few weeks ago. I imagine they are like most other programs and received an influx of applications, so don’t stress yet :) Good luck with your applications

6 minutes ago, Hope466 said:

Hey guys :) For those short-listed at Ryerson: We don't have to complete the separate OGS form if we submitted a CGS-M right? 

Hmm I think you do have to complete a separate OGS form in order to be selected. I thought just can't hold a CGS-M award and OGS award (if you happened to win both scholarships) but I think you still need to apply to both. 

1 minute ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Hmm I think you do have to complete a separate OGS form in order to be selected. I thought just can't hold a CGS-M award and OGS award (if you happened to win both scholarships) but I think you still need to apply to both. 

Thank you! I was confused because I saw on their website that everyone is considered for OGS. Does this mean we would complete the 2nd form in the link (students who applied to tri-council funding)? I tried contacting them but no luck :(

1 hour ago, Hope466 said:

Thank you! I was confused because I saw on their website that everyone is considered for OGS. Does this mean we would complete the 2nd form in the link (students who applied to tri-council funding)? I tried contacting them but no luck :(

I had inquired about this as well. The admissions coordinator told me to complete the forms as put in the original email :) (the ones you are directed to when you click the link)

45 minutes ago, aaapal said:

I had inquired about this as well. The admissions coordinator told me to complete the forms as put in the original email :) (the ones you are directed to when you click the link)

Thank you so much! This is what I figured and I am completing this form :)

Thank you to those who PM'd me as well about this - your support means a lot!

School: Queen's

Program: Clinical Psychology

Interview type: Virtual

Date of Invite: 2/2/2021

for anyone curious about Queen's, i interviewed informally with my POI about 2-3 weeks ago and was notified today that i would be moving on to the departmental virtual interviews! according to the email, for those that move on, there will be an open house in March or so and offers will be extended after that :)) 

Interview

School: OISE

Program: SCCP

Date of invite: January 29th

Date of interview: February 2nd  

DM for POI: Yes 

&

School: OISE

Program: SCCP

Date of invite: February 1st

Date of interview: February 1st 

DM for POI: Yes 

Note: the second interview listed was with a supervisor I did not apply to, originally I thought it may be some sort of departmental interview or a clinical interview but it was for a spot in their lab, I am interested in hearing if anyone has heard of that happening! 

40 minutes ago, APsych123 said:

Is there a thread with information / tips on interviews? 

Not sure if you saw the post, but someone kindly shared a few links a couple weeks back on this thread. I haven't had the chance yet to check them out myself but I will over the next few days. Hope that helps!

On 1/18/2021 at 6:13 PM, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

Edited by xChiliPepps

I've been looming on this thread for a while, but I thought I'd post my first post ☺️

School: University of Ottawa

Program: Clinical Psychology

Date of invite: February 2

Date of interview: Next week

DM for POI: sure!

18 hours ago, Irishsnowflakes said:

My vote is to send a "thank you" email and then wait patiently :) I know it's tough. But you're in a good spot having had the interview, so they will contact you when you need to be contacted...if that makes sense. I would not send a follow-up email other than a "thank you." 

19 hours ago, Rapunzel116 said:

Interview

School: Ryerson

Program: Clinical MA &PhD 

Date of invite: Feb 2nd, 2021

Date of interview: Visiting Day Feb 8th 

DM for POI: Yes 

I'm really surprised I haven't had any contact from my POI this whole season I just got an invite from the department for visiting day! Has this happened to anyone else not having contact with their POI then getting an invite to to interview day? Should I reach out and send a separate email to my POI saying thanks?

Also the visiting day time is the same time as one my interviews at another school and im not really sure what to do ?

Congrats! Is this visiting day an interview day?

If I had two conflicting interview spots, I would inform the site that offered later that I already have an interview booked at that time (but am delighted, very interested blah blah) and see if there's another time. Or maybe you attend part of it? Haha, what are the chances?!