2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

On 2/6/2021 at 3:16 PM, +ve regard said:

From personal experience - you can! I did a terminal MA in counselling psych (with thesis) and am now doing a clinical + counselling PhD program (OISE). I think the key thing is doing a thesis. It's also good to check the equivalent course requirements for any future clinical programs, to make sure your training lines up as much as possible :) 

Ditto. I did am M.Ed. Counselling Psychology with a thesis. I did the thesis on purpose because I wanted to continue academically. However, I worked for years and had a family so when I went back my research was stale however I did a program that built my research up again. That has been the key. 

27 minutes ago, clinpsychhopeful2021 said:

Hey everyone, noticed this morning my york application said "reviewed - unsuccessful" on the portal :( Applied to clinical developmental 

8 minutes ago, Regina77 said:

Me too! for Clinical. Well good luck with any other programs you are waiting on

I applied to Adult Clinical (Neuropsych) and haven't been contacted by York but the portal still says "No decision yet- still under consideration". Is anyone else in the same situation? Not sure if that means anything or my rejection is pending

4 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I applied to Adult Clinical (Neuropsych) and haven't been contacted by York but the portal still says "No decision yet- still under consideration". Is anyone else in the same situation? Not sure if that means anything or my rejection is pending

Same here!! I am assuming rejection is pending

Is anyone else waiting for the Q&A meeting for UPEI PsyD applicants that was supposed to start 30 minutes ago? I have been waiting but haven’t been let in to the meeting. I emailed admin but haven’t heard from them either.. hoping it’s not a tech issue on my end 

On 2/8/2021 at 1:21 AM, gradddhopeful said:

Hi! Does anyone have any tips on what to expect when chatting/interviewing with your POI's current graduate students? 
Also, is this a good sign? Would a POI bother connecting an applicant to their graduate students after an interview if the applicant was not their top choice? 

I would agree with what others have said that yes it is definitely a good sign.

In terms of tips, speaking as a current grad student who has interviewed applicants, it's really important to be yourself and try to be as personable as possible in a meeting with fellow grad students. Show your personality a bit (ideally do this during regular interviews too) but if you fall into rehearsed sorts of statements about yourself, the meeting can fall flat. Also being able to engage with people and establish rapport is super important clinically as well, so if you're meeting with someone and failing to have that, it can have broader negative implications on your potential as a graduate student above and beyond program fit. Of course, ask informative and meaningful questions, but balance it out with personality and humour and normal conversational things.

In my experience, I have met with students before who did the opposite, and while exceptionally capable and being strong applicants, they ended up being ranked lower from the grad students perspective (and this probably played into committee decisions as well) because of their weakness in establishing rapport. 

Really important to remember when you get past that first cut and make it to the interview stage, now its about YOU and why you're a good fit, and less about your grades and CV, etc. 

I think I ended up branching out on a bit of a tangent there but hopefully that is helpful! 

1 hour ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I just checked the portal. Mine says "No decision yet." I wonder if there's any discrepancy between "no decision yet" and "no decision yet - still under consideration," but I'm probably overthinking. 

So, basically I'm in the same boat. I've applied to Adult Clinical. 

Just wanted to share something with everyone that I hope will help - when making a decision, it is not only research fit that matters but also how the POI is as a human being (personality/ethics/mindset) that will make or break you in grad school. I got accepted after 3 years of applying, and found out that my supervisor was super nice during the interview but quickly turned unsupportive, toxic, exploitative, and overall horrible when the semester started. I thought this was all in my head or that I'm too soft, but it turned out that 3-4 other students have filed a complaint against them in the past 2 years and they are currently under investigation due to their misconduct and unfair treatment of their grad students. I voluntarily withdrew and have to apply again to other places (as I didn't want to switch to another supervisor (there wasn't a good research fit with anyone)). 

As such, I highly recommend speaking with their current or past students if you can (I never got the chance to - should have been a red flag) and getting their opinions on how the POI is as a PERSON. So so important! It'll save you lots of time, money, and your self-confidence in the future. 

15 minutes ago, Sabr_Shukr said:

Just wanted to share something with everyone that I hope will help - when making a decision, it is not only research fit that matters but also how the POI is as a human being (personality/ethics/mindset) that will make or break you in grad school. I got accepted after 3 years of applying, and found out that my supervisor was super nice during the interview but quickly turned unsupportive, toxic, exploitative, and overall horrible when the semester started. I thought this was all in my head or that I'm too soft, but it turned out that 3-4 other students have filed a complaint against them in the past 2 years and they are currently under investigation due to their misconduct and unfair treatment of their grad students. I voluntarily withdrew and have to apply again to other places (as I didn't want to switch to another supervisor (there wasn't a good research fit with anyone)). 

As such, I highly recommend speaking with their current or past students if you can (I never got the chance to - should have been a red flag) and getting their opinions on how the POI is as a PERSON. So so important! It'll save you lots of time, money, and your self-confidence in the future. 

Also I should mention it was NOT a psychology program. It was a Health & Rehab Sciences program (very similar research was being conducted). 

21 minutes ago, Sabr_Shukr said:

Also I should mention it was NOT a psychology program. It was a Health & Rehab Sciences program (very similar research was being conducted). 

Thanks for this tip!

Can I ask, after a few attempts what changed about your application that significantly improved your admission chances? 

13 minutes ago, yozersss said:

Thanks for this tip!

Can I ask, after a few attempts what changed about your application that significantly improved your admission chances? 

Honestly, not much, since I was able to get a lot of research experience during and after undergrad. What changed was the fact that the program did not require GREs (my application kept getting thrown out because I did not meet the minimum requirement for the GRE score (specifically, quant). 

Question regarding Windsor (Child Track) admissions -  I had my interview a couple of weeks ago (with a faculty member that was NOT my proposed supervisor, although I was told this is normal) and was informed that the faculty would be meeting on February 1st to generate a shortlist of applicants who will be recommended for admission. Then, last night, I received an e-mail from another professor (not my proposed supervisor or the person I interviewed with) saying that they were impressed by my application and interested in my research experience and want to meet this week to discuss my research. I am confused about the nature of this meeting - is it a second interview? Do they potentially want to supervise me? Why have I still not spoken to my proposed supervisor? Have others interviewed with their proposed supervisor or received a second interview? I'm confused why this professor is emailing me now, after I thought the shortlist was already created. Any insight would be really helpful!! Thank you!