2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

On 2/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, xChiliPepps said:

Update: McMaster's new M.Sc. program in Psychotherapy has started sending out interview invites, if anyone on here applied!

I know this is a clinical thread, but... Does anyone have any insight on the interview process for McMaster's Psychotherapy program? Better yet, if there are any current students in the program, could you send me a PM? Thank you! ☺️

Hey! Would you be willing to share how they contacted you? (phone call or email?) Also, what time did they contact you?

1 hour ago, iamstressed said:

What are the chances of admission after an interview? Is it more likely? Less? The same?

I think this is tough to answer. Your chances are obviously higher than someone who doesn't interview lol. And I would say with each additional "round" of interviews you're asked to do, your chances increase. But we know that POIs select multiple shortlisted applicants (in case their top choice(s) pick another school). So, I feel there's always going to be a decent likelihood that our POIs top choice may be the other person they shortlisted and we are the "waitlist" applicant ...  

1 minute ago, Happiness is key said:

Hey! Would you be willing to share how they contacted you? (phone call or email?) Also, what time did they contact you?

Of course ? The program director and manager contacted me by email on February 1st.

3 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I think this is tough to answer. Your chances are obviously higher than someone who doesn't interview lol. And I would say with each additional "round" of interviews you're asked to do, your chances increase. But we know that POIs select multiple shortlisted applicants (in case their top choice(s) pick another school). So, I feel there's always going to be a decent likelihood that our POIs top choice may be the other person they shortlisted and we are the "waitlist" applicant ...  

Relating to this, how many applicants do PIs typically shortlist? I've seen program-wide shortlists ranging anywhere from ~5-85 in past program stats, but what would be typical for each PI?

38 minutes ago, psychapp2021 said:

Relating to this, how many applicants do PIs typically shortlist? I've seen program-wide shortlists ranging anywhere from ~5-85 in past program stats, but what would be typical for each PI?

I noticed that for Ryerson, they had shortlisted 30 applicants last year and, from those applicants, offered 10 admissions. Perhaps supervisors are shortlisting their first, second, and third choice applicants for each available clinical spot?

33 minutes ago, MAMED said:

I also got an invitation to interview from the psychotherapy program at Mcmaster yesterday through email from the program director at 12:56 pm. Does anyone have an idea how to prepare for the interview? or what to expect at the interview? thank you and good luck everyone 

Some interview resources posted here, I made it so you don't have to join to view: https://discord.gg/KYNzBzrz9T 

36 minutes ago, MAMED said:

has anyone heard from the clinical program at university of Guelph? if the POI has not emailed me yet, do I assume a rejection?

Definitely not! :) I applied for a different program (Applied Social psychology) and they're still sending out invitations for interviews so I wouldn't assume a rejection just yet! 

14 minutes ago, Wanderingmind said:

Just wondering about Guelph, does anyone know if they will be reaching out to us to our Guelph email? I keep forgetting to login and check it 

I was invited to the Open House day at Guelph in a past cycle and that email went to my regular email. But that was 2 years ago!

15 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I was invited to the Open House day at Guelph in a past cycle and that email went to my regular email. But that was 2 years ago!

11 minutes ago, Sabr_Shukr said:

All correspondence is coming to my regular email (not the Guelph one). 

Thank you both! :) 

23 minutes ago, chamomile tea said:

School: York University

Program: Clinical Psychology

Interview type: Virtual

Date of Invite: 2/3/2021

received an email inviting me to an interview and letting me know i've been shortlisted!

congrats!! do all short-listed people get emails on the same day? is it like a mass email? thank you and I wish you all the best in your interview

9 minutes ago, MAMED said:

congrats!! do all short-listed people get emails on the same day? is it like a mass email? thank you and I wish you all the best in your interview

thanks so much! i'm not sure but i don't think so, i think someone posted on the results page about hearing back a few days ago? and this email was from my POI directly so i'm guessing faculty are reaching out on their own time. 

On 2/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Idiopathic said:

Has anyone applied to and heard back from Regina by chance?  Small school, so the likelihood of someone on here having applied is slim I imagine.  I applied to a handful of schools this year and have received interviews or other feedback from all of them except Regina.

I did my undergrad in Regina and I still speak with my Honours supervisor pretty frequently. He told me a few days ago that they received a record breaking number of applications this year so I imagine they are still sifting through them if the due date wasn't very long ago. I know that he hasn't contacted any applicants yet.  

On 2/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, xChiliPepps said:

Update: McMaster's new M.Sc. program in Psychotherapy has started sending out interview invites, if anyone on here applied!

I know this is a clinical thread, but... Does anyone have any insight on the interview process for McMaster's Psychotherapy program? Better yet, if there are any current students in the program, could you send me a PM? Thank you! ☺️

If you don’t mind my asking, would you be able to post your education GPA and experience?

9 hours ago, MAMED said:

I also got an invitation to interview from the psychotherapy program at Mcmaster yesterday through email from the program director at 12:56 pm. Does anyone have an idea how to prepare for the interview? or what to expect at the interview? thank you and good luck everyone 

If you don’t mind my asking, would you be able to post your education GPA and experience?

14 hours ago, +ve regard said:

Congrats! Is this visiting day an interview day?

If I had two conflicting interview spots, I would inform the site that offered later that I already have an interview booked at that time (but am delighted, very interested blah blah) and see if there's another time. Or maybe you attend part of it? Haha, what are the chances?!

Yeah right ? I think ive got it sorted now luckily I was able to rearrange a bit! Thank you!