2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

On 2/2/2021 at 8:38 PM, psych02143 said:

School: OISE

Program: SCCP

Date of invite: February 1st

Date of interview: February 2nd 

DM for POI: Sure! 

For folks receiving OISE SCCP interviews (big congrats by the way?) , the turn around time from date of invite to date of interview time seems so fast! I am wondering are these individual phone calls rather than a cohesive interview day for which you'd have to take off work for? I am an international applicant and the format I am used to so far is an invitation to an interview day a few weeks out from when you receive the invite. Does OISE hold an interview day? Thank you! 

Interview

School: York 

Program: Clinical Psychology (adult stream)

Date of invite: Feb 4th, 2021

Date of interview: Over next few days 

Edited by freudianslipintogradschool
Added "adult stream"

For anyone who applied to Lakehead:

I just received an email in my lakehead email inbox saying that my application is being reviewed by the admissions committee and that offers of admission could begin as early as Feb 15 and will continue until April 15 or until all seats are filled. 

I’m not sure if they have sent out any rejections, but might be worth checking your Lakehead email for the update! 

35 minutes ago, psychsci said:

@Psychologystudent2021 I am trying to open my Lakehead Email in several web browsers but it is not opening for me. Did you access your Lakehead Email today? 

Yes! Have you tried logging into my info and accessing your email that way?

1 hour ago, psychsci said:

@Psychologystudent2021 I have tried to login in that way, but there are no new emails in my inbox? That is kind of odd, I do not if it means that they aren't considering my application ? Or they are just delaying the emails ? 

Hey check your inbox now! They said that some applicants didn't receive it so they resent it to everyone! :)

Does anyone know what kind of questions I can expect in an official interview with a panel of faculty?

I have already met with my POI a couple times and she hinted at the questions being more general with the panel. The questions I’m seeing online seem more relevant to one-on-one meetings (related to specific research ideas, structure of the lab, PI personal work style, etc.)

Pls share any insight on this! I’m happy to chat through DM if you prefer :)

12 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Does anyone know what kind of questions I can expect in an official interview with a panel of faculty?

I have already met with my POI a couple times and she hinted at the questions being more general with the panel. The questions I’m seeing online seem more relevant to one-on-one meetings (related to specific research ideas, structure of the lab, PI personal work style, etc.)

Pls share any insight on this! I’m happy to chat through DM if you prefer :)

hi!! good luck on your interview :))

i think generally you're right about broader questions. i've been in two panel interviews so far (with one more coming up) and i've been asked both times about my thesis, what draws me to X school, what draws me to X faculty's research, how i plan to practice self-care or achieve work-life balance, what my clinical interests are, and so on! there were also a few "tell me about a time when....." where i had to describe how i resolved a conflict with a teammate or supervisor, solved a problem, encountered an academic or personal challenge, things like that. there were also some "fun" questions about my hobbies or interests. 

i think the goal of panel interviews is so that other faculty are able to weigh in on whether and how much you're a fit for the program. i personally find answering general questions tougher than the specific one-on-one with POI questions, but that's just me! of course these are just my experiences and i'm not sure how helpful they are to your particular situation, but feel free to message me ❤️ 

19 minutes ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

Does anyone know York interview invites finish going out? In other words, if we haven't heard back this week, is it safe to assume we won't? Thanks in advance :) 

I doubt they’re done going out. I’m pretty sure they’ve done an open house in the past and no one has said anything about that yet - everything seems to be interviews with POIs at this point. I also haven’t heard anyone mention an interview from the clinical-developmental program yet. They have a huge psychology department so I suspect there’s still some time before they’ve contacted everyone. I could be completely wrong though - this is all just speculation! :) 

hi! i had an interview with my POI and from the conversation, it seems like faculty are still reaching out to students directly throughout the month. when talking about next steps, they didn't mention anything about a departmental interview day or an open house, which might mean that that's not happening this year? they just mentioned that they (as in my POI specifically) would try to let their shortlist know before March. so my guess is that faculty are sending invites and interviewing on their own time this year and you can still hear back this month!

also, they mentioned that there were over 500 applicants this year and it was especially competitive, so it's very likely that some faculty are still sifting through their applications ❤️

3 hours ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

Does anyone know York interview invites finish going out? In other words, if we haven't heard back this week, is it safe to assume we won't? Thanks in advance :) 

4 minutes ago, chamomile tea said:

hi! i had an interview with my POI and from the conversation, it seems like faculty are still reaching out to students directly throughout the month. when talking about next steps, they didn't mention anything about a departmental interview day or an open house, which might mean that that's not happening this year? they just mentioned that they (as in my POI specifically) would try to let their shortlist know before March. so my guess is that faculty are sending invites and interviewing on their own time this year and you can still hear back this month!

also, they mentioned that there were over 500 applicants this year and it was especially competitive, so it's very likely that some faculty are still sifting through their applications ❤️

This is really helpful, thank you!! Hope that your interview went well and you hear some good news soon ❤️ 

Hi! Im wondering if anyone knows if potential supervisors can see our OGS proposals? I just got notified yesterday about applying to OGS by Monday for Ryerson and was planning on using the same proposal I used for my SSHRC but it doesn't really match my POIs work Im wondering if that's ok? Its in the same general area still just not directly related but im not sure id be able to make a strong new proposal in two days. If anyone has any insights its appreciated :) 

17 minutes ago, Rapunzel116 said:

Hi! Im wondering if anyone knows if potential supervisors can see our OGS proposals? I just got notified yesterday about applying to OGS by Monday for Ryerson and was planning on using the same proposal I used for my SSHRC but it doesn't really match my POIs work Im wondering if that's ok? Its in the same general area still just not directly related but im not sure id be able to make a strong new proposal in two days. If anyone has any insights its appreciated :) 

It’s totally fine to use your SSHRC idea/ propose an idea that you wouldn’t actually be doing in your masters or PhD! 

6 hours ago, chamomile tea said:

hi!! good luck on your interview :))

i think generally you're right about broader questions. i've been in two panel interviews so far (with one more coming up) and i've been asked both times about my thesis, what draws me to X school, what draws me to X faculty's research, how i plan to practice self-care or achieve work-life balance, what my clinical interests are, and so on! there were also a few "tell me about a time when....." where i had to describe how i resolved a conflict with a teammate or supervisor, solved a problem, encountered an academic or personal challenge, things like that. there were also some "fun" questions about my hobbies or interests. 

i think the goal of panel interviews is so that other faculty are able to weigh in on whether and how much you're a fit for the program. i personally find answering general questions tougher than the specific one-on-one with POI questions, but that's just me! of course these are just my experiences and i'm not sure how helpful they are to your particular situation, but feel free to message me ❤️ 

Thank you so much for sharing!

3 hours ago, Rapunzel116 said:

Hey! I had this same question and the graduate program admin told me your POI won’t even see the application and you aren’t obligated to complete the project 

7 hours ago, Idiopathic said:

Anyone heard from Queen’s post interview?  I know they mentioned their clinical faculty interviews would be mid-February so getting a bit nervous, but don’t want to bother my PI over it.  

I was invited to a second round of interviews with a panel on Wednesday through a program admin. However, it is also possible that some people just get invited straight to the open house later, i'm not sure.