PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

11 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

This was super sad to read from a moderator that is supposed to encourage civility and anti cyber-bullying.

You are, of course, free to do as you choose, but I am not convinced that you understand what either of these words mean. Nothing here has been uncivil, nor have they been a bully. They've just said things you disagreed with. If you cannot figure out the difference, graduate school will be an interesting experience for you. 

In any case, I am constrained in what I can do by the forum rules; as there are no violations of these here, I have no tools at my disposal. I am not a species of dictator.

Just now, telkanuru said:

You are, of course, free to do as you choose, but I am not convinced that you understand what either of these words mean. Nothing here has been uncivil, nor have they been a bully. They've just said things you disagreed with. If you cannot figure out the difference, graduate school will be an interesting experience for you. 

Yikes. Are you guys the same people? 

3 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Yikes. Are you guys the same people? 

No, as should be quite easily apparent. I'm just a guy who doesn't get paid to make sure things don't get out of hand. If you wish to start in on personal insults, however, I am happy to hand out bans.

3 minutes ago, ..... said:

Is this an insult? "Pardon my language, but blowing sunshine into each other’s assholes isn’t the psychotherapy you think it is."

Asking for a friend

Really? No, it's not. It's not even close.

Again, just because you don't like something, or something isn't phrased in a way that makes you happy, doesn't make it against the rules.

just got a rejection from BU HSR ? I’m slowly coming to terms that I may not get in this cycle and I’m trying to not be so hard on myself given funding/surge in applicants this year.

I also haven’t graduated with my MPH yet. So I’m assuming that a little work experience and (covid friendly) traveling would be nice. I haven’t had a break from school, ever. Maybe it’s a sign to take a break ?

Just now, ..... said:

But you didn't like what someone said and were willing to hand out a ban for that?

I did no such thing.

I thought you were deleting your account?

Long term lurker here... had to create an account after seeing this nonsense. 

This is so petty, and honestly I would not want to see how some of y'all handle conflict and confrontation in the outside world, let alone work with some of you if this is how you react to differing opinions. Deleting accounts (and telling people about it before you do it), accusing someone with a different perspective and approach of being a cyber bully, and then coming for the moderator? Chill. out. Walk away and take a breather. Try not let this become unhealthy and toxic and learn to accept some discomfort rather than attacking it. 

Anyways, are there any queer/LGBTQ+ POC folk on this forum who applied to PhDs in community health/social & behavioral sciences? Would love to connect and share experiences about this journey. Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, ..... said:

I really just want to squash this, and it sounds like you are pretty disgruntled with being a moderator (which I get I can't imagine how time consuming it is and I do not know how any grad student has time for it).

Well, that's an interesting interpretation. But I'm not a graduate student.

Having been subject to cyber-bullying myself in the past in a variety of forms, I take allegations of the same quite seriously, because I know they are easily dismissed. Consequently, I have a particularly strong reaction to those who, as you have done first with Samir and now with me, weaponize such language in order to force those with whom they disagree to shut up. 

On that note, enjoy your "call".

My kid took his first steps today! I'm excited but also scared because I am totally not ready to chase him around everywhere. haha. 

Anyone else with good news today?! Let's cleanse the palate, burn some metaphorical sage, and move on to positivity. 

I must say I really appreciate this group for the general sense of comradely we all have of going through this often unkind process during COVID, so I hope you all have a great day! Another positive note, this cute guy in my Zoom class messaged me today. I'm a sucker for boys lol. 

43 minutes ago, PHealth121 said:

Long term lurker here... had to create an account after seeing this nonsense. 

This is so petty, and honestly I would not want to see how some of y'all handle conflict and confrontation in the outside world, let alone work with some of you if this is how you react to differing opinions. Deleting accounts (and telling people about it before you do it), accusing someone with a different perspective and approach of being a cyber bully, and then coming for the moderator? Chill. out. Walk away and take a breather. Try not let this become unhealthy and toxic and learn to accept some discomfort rather than attacking it. 

Anyways, are there any queer/LGBTQ+ POC folk on this forum who applied to PhDs in community health/social & behavioral sciences? Would love to connect and share experiences about this journey. Thanks! 

Hi! I identify as LGBTQ+ and POC. Applied to DrPH programs, but my MPH is in the social & behavioral sciences. I'm happy to connect with you (and anyone!) to share experiences. Feel free to DM.

Congrats to all who have been accepted so far :) I'm still anxiously waiting for good news (or any update!). The radio silence from some schools is tough.

7 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Interesting... although I wonder from a stance of equity and inclusion what it would mean for low-income students who don’t have quite the same privilege. Would allowing students entry who can bankroll their education (via loans, parents, savings etc) disincentivize schools from funding students without those kind of means? Also, I wonder if someone funding their own education in some ways be at a disadvantage down the road, considering others would have had paid research and teaching assistantships, while they have not. 

4 hours ago, xxxxling said:

Some PhD students do take on loans and self-fund, even in some reputable public health schools. Also I think sometimes it is a bit tricky to work as a volunteer RA with a professor without getting paid (unless taking course credits), some institutions/departments will not allow that. I agree with the equity and inclusion aspect. I personally tried to avoid programs that sends out admissions and ask students to get their own funding (e.g. finding a GRA), which sounds a bit stressful to me.  

Thanks for the great input guys! Would it be weird to email the school (for which i'm on the waitlist) and tell them I am willing to fund myself? Is it not allowed? Forgive me as I am not familiar with the US system. Any insight is much appreciated!

11 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Thanks for the great input guys! Would it be weird to email the school (for which i'm on the waitlist) and tell them I am willing to fund myself? Is it not allowed? Forgive me as I am not familiar with the US system. Any insight is much appreciated!

I think your first step might be to get a picture of where you are on the waitlist. If you’re up there, then put the wallet away and ready yourself for your number to be called (if 80% accept, then someone isn’t). If not, I don’t know... maybe reach out to your PI and see what the temperature is for a move like that. Just be 100% sure that the *only* reason you weren’t accepted in this first round is because of funding. 

Also, I want to say two things:

1) I greatly admire that you’re fighting for your dreams and trying to make stuff happen. But...

2) You also have to have some trust that universe will put the right thing in your path. It’s very possible JHU will come knocking. But if it doesn’t, maybe it’s for the best...

Edited by MCH_Hopeful_2021

6 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I think your first step might be to get a picture of where you are on the waitlist. If you’re up there, then put the wallet away and ready yourself for your number to be called (if 80% accept, then someone isn’t). If not, I don’t know... maybe reach out to your PI and see what the temperature is for a move like that. You’d have to be really delicate with your wording though or it’ll seem like you’re buying your way in (which isn’t how I take what you’re trying to do). Also, you need to be 100% sure that the *only* reason you weren’t accepted in this first round is because of funding. 

Great advice - thank you! The AdComs were quite transparent about how the waitlist works. Basically there are two ways for movement to occur on the waitlist: 1) someone declines their offer, and/or 2) the program is currently competing for additional funding sources for which they will find out in late Feb. If they get this, then another spot(s) may potentially open up. 

I was a bit hesitant to ask about my rank/position on the waitlist, so I didn't bother and simply said thank you and said I was excited and honoured be on the waitlist. I'm not sure if they would disclose the rank + I don't want to seem desperate lol. Thoughts?

I also agree with you about choosing the right wording when talking about self-funding. My intention is certainly not to buy my way in lol

Edited by DarkPassenger

25 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

When a program funds you, they become invested in whether you succeed or not, because their money is on the line. When students fund themselves, the program has much less to lose if the student doesn't excel. Do you really want to invest tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of dollars, plus years of your life, into a department that doesn't want to/can't invest in you?

1 minute ago, drunkenduck said:

When a program funds you, they become invested in whether you succeed or not, because their money is on the line. When students fund themselves, the program has much less to lose if the student doesn't excel. Do you really want to invest tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of dollars, plus years of your life, into a department that doesn't want to/can't invest in you?

Well, I applied to Oxford and Cambridge, and they don't always provide funding. They may provide partial funding, but not always. Either way, I'm okay with it. Additionally, I intend to also apply for external scholarships during my studies.

I definitely see your point though. But I would be willing take the hit if it means I get into a program that I think is the best fit for me, and will provide me with the tools to succeed in my future.