PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

I got a request to interview for Boston's DrPH program. My interview will be the second week in February. I'm excited and hope it's the first of a few. I refuse to stress myself out over this waiting. Old threads said we'd hear back final answers by March. So if I don't hear final decisions in 12 weeks, then maybe I'll stress. Until then, it is what it is.

I'm also planning to apply to at least 1 more program, and possibly a few others.

21 hours ago, HP_2021 said:

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if programs that don't require interviews ALWAYS end up asking for one? I've seen a few people specifically for Harvard PHS mention getting interviews, but the website mentions a interview is not necessary and I've already spoken to the professors I was interested in having advise me.

Just freaking out probably for no reason like the rest of us right now. 

Hi! I am not sure by any means, but I had an interview for the PHS program, and I got the feeling that my interview was for a specific reason. I was also super thrown off when I got the interview because the website said interviews weren't a part of the process. I don't know how their admissions works but I wouldn't overthink it at all because I bet interviews aren't required for admission. Best of luck!! 

Just now, epi2be said:

Hi! I am not sure by any means, but I had an interview for the PHS program, and I got the feeling that my interview was for a specific reason. I was also super thrown off when I got the interview because the website said interviews weren't a part of the process. I don't know how their admissions works but I wouldn't overthink it at all because I bet interviews aren't required for admission. Best of luck!! 

Thanks for the info! Hope the interview went well. 

Hi friends! Did anyone apply to the PhD program in Epi at Minnesota? I just received an email saying I passed the first round of review and that they will now begin the process of matching me with a faculty advisor and securing a competitive funding package. Is this...sort of a conditional acceptance? Can I get my hopes up? 

2 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

Hi friends! Did anyone apply to the PhD program in Epi at Minnesota? I just received an email saying I passed the first round of review and that they will now begin the process of matching me with a faculty advisor and securing a competitive funding package. Is this...sort of a conditional acceptance? Can I get my hopes up? 

Like they said, you passed the first round of cuts. The professors will look at the remaining pool of applicants, and pick the one/s they want to advise. It's not guaranteed that anyone will pick you, it will depend on multiple factors. But, of course, it's a good thing that you made it to this point. Did you email any of the professors before applying?

19 hours ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Information is power so sharing here that I got an interview request from Emory's new Global Health Development PhD program. They are scheduling interviews and other information sessions the last week of Jan / first week of Feb. 

Congrats! I also applied to this program but haven't heard anything. Did you get the impression that there are rolling interview invites, or the people who got that invite were the ones who made the cut?

2 minutes ago, drunkenduck said:

Like they said, you passed the first round of cuts. The professors will look at the remaining pool of applicants, and pick the one/s they want to advise. It's not guaranteed that anyone will pick you, it will depend on multiple factors. But, of course, it's a good thing that you made it to this point. Did you email any of the professors before applying?

Got it, thanks! Definitely not under the impression that I have a guaranteed acceptance, as it looks like applicants in the past have been rejected after this stage for a number of reasons. But thrilled to have gotten past the admissions committee nonetheless! Yes, I was fortunate to meet with a couple POIs before applying and have great conversations with them.

1 hour ago, srp10215 said:

Got it, thanks! Definitely not under the impression that I have a guaranteed acceptance, as it looks like applicants in the past have been rejected after this stage for a number of reasons. But thrilled to have gotten past the admissions committee nonetheless! Yes, I was fortunate to meet with a couple POIs before applying and have great conversations with them.

I went through a round of apps a few years ago and MN was one of them! 

I think along with finding a professor to work with you, they’re also looking for funding and generally don’t want to get back to you without a funding package. My suggestion is to stay in touch with them if it’s a program you’re really interested in! I didn’t hear back until kinda late... late March maybe? But in between knew they were working hard on finding stuff and so I had a decent idea of my chances. I know other people who had good luck by letting the program know how serious they were about it. 

Hi all! This is my first time posting. I've applied to four programs and have yet to hear from any of them. Trying to stay positive, but I'm open to applying again next year if it doesn't work out this year. I applied to: Brown HSR, Harvard Population Health - Global Health and Population, Hopkins Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Yale SBS. I'm interested in maternal and child health, implementation science, and health services research.

Just now, publichealthPhD said:

Hi all! This is my first time posting. I've applied to four programs and have yet to hear from any of them. Trying to stay positive, but I'm open to applying again next year if it doesn't work out this year. I applied to: Brown HSR, Harvard Population Health - Global Health and Population, Hopkins Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Yale SBS. I'm interested in maternal and child health, implementation science, and health services research.

I applied to the same programs at Harvard and JHU and haven't heard anything yet, either. I've been a bit discouraged because I've seen some interview invites trickle in. But, it ain't over till it's over! Best of luck to you :) 

18 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

I went through a round of apps a few years ago and MN was one of them! 

I think along with finding a professor to work with you, they’re also looking for funding and generally don’t want to get back to you without a funding package. My suggestion is to stay in touch with them if it’s a program you’re really interested in! I didn’t hear back until kinda late... late March maybe? But in between knew they were working hard on finding stuff and so I had a decent idea of my chances. I know other people who had good luck by letting the program know how serious they were about it. 

This is great to know, thank you so much!

1 hour ago, ChiccaChica said:

Congrats! I also applied to this program but haven't heard anything. Did you get the impression that there are rolling interview invites, or the people who got that invite were the ones who made the cut?

It was a bit hard to interpret. The email was clear that interviews were happening last week Jan / first week of Feb but then also mentioned a 'recruitment week' with perhaps other events. It wasn't clear if that's the same time frame as interviews or later. If later I think you could assume rolling interviews are possible

1 hour ago, publichealthPhD said:

We have the same interests! These are all really great programs. I hope you hear back soon! 

1 minute ago, Ajrw said:

2 hours ago, DarkPassenger said:

I applied to Harvard PHS, Harvard Health Policy, Stanford Health Policy and Hopkins Health Policy. So far, I've only heard back and interviewed at Hopkins.

Congrats on your interview at hopkins! Do you mind my asking if it was the PhD in health policy or the DrPH? I applied to their and UNCs DrPH programs. 

Thanks!

Hi all, I just got an interview request for Columbia's psychiatric epidemiology training fellowship! I don't know what that means for my chances of being accepted into the epidemiology program but I'm taking this as a sliver of hope during this (extremely tough) waiting period. 

2 minutes ago, ham1 said:

Hi all, I just got an interview request for Columbia's psychiatric epidemiology training fellowship! I don't know what that means for my chances of being accepted into the epidemiology program but I'm taking this as a sliver of hope during this (extremely tough) waiting period. 

Congrats!! ? 

Hi- I thought I would create a profile rather than just keep lurking. I applied to several PhD programs, some within schools of public health and others within schools of pharmacy.

Interviews done or scheduled at: UNC (pharmacy), Harvard (public health), UW (pharmacy), Maryland (pharmacy)

Waiting to hear back: Columbia (public health), Brown (public health), Yale (public health), Stanford (public health/clinical), Johns Hopkins (public health),  Emory (public health).

I would love to know if any of you have heard back from the programs I am waiting on. Thanks and good luck :)

21 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

I only know that Brown's recruitment day for all their programs is on January 22nd, but it doesn't seem that they've released invites yet :) Good luck everyone!!

How do you know that Brown’s recruitment day is the 22nd?