PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

2 minutes ago, brightbluebirds said:

Congrats!! What program was this for?

Thank you!! It's my first invite so I'm equally excited and nervous! :)

I applied to BSHS, but the invite said that the doctoral programs at Brown are hosting a "joint recruitment day". They asked for an RSVP by the 19th, so my guess is invites will be coming out over the next few days.

I applied to the University of Maryland, College Park (Behavioral and Community Health), University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (Health Services Research, Policy, and Administration), Medical College of Wisconsin (PhD Public and Community Health), and George Mason University (Public Health). I was interviewed on the 4th of January by Uni of Maryland, and they told me they have 7 more students to interview. Only 5 students will be guaranteed funding. The interview was "too" chill that I feel it went poorly. Did anyone hear from other universities that I may have applied? Best of luck to all the people who are applying. I know the waiting part is so nerve-wrecking. I hope we all get into at least one program. 

3 hours ago, PublicHealth25 said:

I applied to the University of Maryland, College Park (Behavioral and Community Health), University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (Health Services Research, Policy, and Administration), Medical College of Wisconsin (PhD Public and Community Health), and George Mason University (Public Health). I was interviewed on the 4th of January by Uni of Maryland, and they told me they have 7 more students to interview. Only 5 students will be guaranteed funding. The interview was "too" chill that I feel it went poorly. Did anyone hear from other universities that I may have applied? Best of luck to all the people who are applying. I know the waiting part is so nerve-wrecking. I hope we all get into at least one program. 

Hi.. i applied to Minnesota. But, haven't heard back from them as yet. Did you get the opportunity to talk to any of the faculty members? I tried, but couldn't. Still i applied.

12 hours ago, PublicHealth25 said:

Hi.. i applied to Minnesota. But, haven't heard back from them as yet. Did you get the opportunity to talk to any of the faculty members? I tried, but couldn't. Still i applied.

One more question please. If we write names of POIs in our SOP, is it mandatory for our application to go to those POIs. Asking because, I talked to a faculty amd she told me that she reviewed many applications, but not mine. I did write her name in SOP. Does it mean my application didn't go past initial review?

12 hours ago, blakepancake said:

I just received my third interview request in a week. So far I have heard from Emory GHD PhD, UCLA CHS PhD, and UCSF GHS PhD.

If you don't mind me asking what are your stats and research interest? I applied to Emory GHD PhD, UCSF GHS and Brown and have yet to hear anything. I am wondering if I did something wrong in my application and I am starting to worry with everyone getting interview requests!

59 minutes ago, michellerubadub said:

If you don't mind me asking what are your stats and research interest? I applied to Emory GHD PhD, UCSF GHS and Brown and have yet to hear anything. I am wondering if I did something wrong in my application and I am starting to worry with everyone getting interview requests!

Happy to answer! I had a 3.72 MPH GPA and I did not submit GRE scores. I have 5.5 years of public health experience. I spoke to four professors at Emory and four professors at UCSF. I'm interested in the intersection of SRH and humanitarian emergencies. I have three publications, two of which are first author.

Edited by blakepancake

17 hours ago, teabunny said:

The nerves are sooo real. Don't feel too down! There's still lots of time until things are "finalized" in April, plus until you get a "no" in writing you're still in consideration. 

Hmm I was too stressed to count the number of participants during the call LOL but I'd guess there were 1-2 faculty representing each of the 5 core interests. Funding was the question no one knew how to answer, since grants likely aren't approved until later in the spring.

Hopefully they determine funding quickly, I hate the waiting! If your comfortable, did you find a professor/research you felt drawn to (initials of professor)?  It looks like there are a lot of active grants for research! 

@RkaI only emailed the professors but never attempted to call or set a meeting with them. Based on previous postings on Gradcafe, there were students with Bachelor's who got admitted for the Uni of Minnesota. It is a top program, but it seems like the admittance rate is not as difficult as others. However, with this pandemic, it might be more competitive.

18 minutes ago, PublicHealth25 said:

@RkaI only emailed the professors but never attempted to call or set a meeting with them. Based on previous postings on Gradcafe, there were students with Bachelor's who got admitted for the Uni of Minnesota. It is a top program, but it seems like the admittance rate is not as difficult as others. However, with this pandemic, it might be more competitive.

Thanks for the reply. I know theirs is a very competitive program.

I got my first correspondence today...and it was a rejection from the Global Health and Development program at Emory. I’m not super bummed about the school and program itself, because it wasn’t my first choice in terms of research or location. However, the rejection stings, especially since it’s been the only feedback I’ve gotten so far. Here’s to hoping for good news going forward, I guess! 

1 minute ago, ChiccaChica said:

I got my first correspondence today...and it was a rejection from the Global Health and Development program at Emory. I’m not super bummed about the school and program itself, because it wasn’t my first choice in terms of research or location. However, the rejection stings, especially since it’s been the only feedback I’ve gotten so far. Here’s to hoping for good news going forward, I guess! 

Sorry to hear that news. The silence and waiting is tough and it seems like any news would be better than nothing but then it’s definitely a disappointment when it’s not when you hoped for. My fingers are crossed for something great to come your way!

54 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

Hello equally stressed out friends :)

Anyone who applied to Brown PhD Epi hear back about recruitment day? Just wondering if I can cross that one off the list haha

(I know a few people in other departments who have heard back)

?

I haven’t read/heard of anyone hearing back from Brown Epi yet about recruitment day. Do you know of anyone who has heard back from Brown Health Services Research? (Also wondering if I should cross that one off...)?

Just now, LxRx said:

?

I haven’t read/heard of anyone hearing back from Brown Epi yet about recruitment day. Do you know of anyone who has heard back from Brown Health Services Research? (Also wondering if I should cross that one off...)?

I’ve only heard of behavioral science so far!

I’ll cross my fingers for both of us, then :) 

1 hour ago, LxRx said:

?

I received an invitation to Brown's interview day for Health Services Research this morning, but they may still be sending others, because it isn't until next Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

51 minutes ago, HopingForGoodNews said:

I received an invitation to Brown's interview day for Health Services Research this morning, but they may still be sending others, because it isn't until next Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Congrats! And thanks for letting me know ? I applied for the pharmacoepidemiology & pharmaceutical outcomes research track.

3 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Hello equally stressed out friends :)

Anyone who applied to Brown PhD Epi hear back about recruitment day? Just wondering if I can cross that one off the list haha

(I know a few people in other departments who have heard back)

Hi! I received an invitation to interview at the open house this past Tuesday for Brown Epi!