2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

got a portal update email from chicago but havent checked it yet 

just waiting for the NW rejection so my assumptions can be official ?

Edited by spotted

I wish there was a way to give feedback about streamlining the application process (in US schools) -- most applications to graduate school are not successful, so knowing decisions by a certain time (say, March 1) gives people enough time to have feasible backups. It's been somewhat frustrating to play cat and mouse while job-searching (we have to eat) because I don't want to accept a position and then get accepted to grad school later on in the process, thus burning bridges in my pretty small practitioner field by appearing like I'm flip-flopping.

Hello everyone - I hope you are doing well. Would anyone happen to have any insight on the UChicago admission process? I also have not received any notification and am wondering what to expect. 

Edited by irh4256
Realized I posted on the wrong thread

3 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

Just got a funding offer from UAlbany! I am thrilled, however, does anyone know a good site where I can check the living expenses in Albany, NY?. Just want to make sure I can live with the stipend :D

Congratulations on securing funding. You may check this website out: http://www.phdstipends.com/results

Its like gradcafe but for stipends. It has a "LW Ratio" component which is basically the living wage as a ratio of the stipend. 

20 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

Just got a funding offer from UAlbany! I am thrilled, however, does anyone know a good site where I can check the living expenses in Albany, NY?. Just want to make sure I can live with the stipend :D

Albany's CoL isn't too bad last I checked. I had a friend that lived there for a few years and they said it was pretty affordable, hopefully that is still the case!

Those Syracuse admits seem suspicious to me, having come one right after the other. Statistically, they usually release later in the admissions cycle as well I believe. Unless anyone here claims, I would likely say troll (WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS I TRULY DO NOT UNDERSTAND). 

If you get a large scholarship, definitely a good choice to do an MA at UChicago.  But I wouldn't recommend taking a loan of tens of thousands for a 1 year MA.  I'm glad I didn't do that.  I went to another MA program with more generous funding.  

Edited by StarkDark1