Apps are done! Now what? Emotional support time!

pomegranateleaves

Hello everyone! Most applications were due today so congrats on getting them in! Now we need to sit back, relax, feel the anxiety, and wait for interview offers. I started this this thread so that we can give each other emotional supportĀ during this time. I know I'm an anxious and excited ball of emotions and will probably be checking my inbox daily for the next couple of months. I'm sure many of you are feeling the same way! May we wish each other all the best.

2 hours ago, Kelso123 said:

Ughhh same! I don't know if I feel less or more anxious now that I don't have 15 apps to work onĀ ?

Haha! Same - my emotions keep flip flopping between being super anxious and worried, thinking that I'm going to be rejected from all of my programs, to then being super excited and hoping for lots of interviews. We're all in this together!

Ā 

1 hour ago, EileanDonan said:

Seconding all of this, trying to get back into a mindset of actually engaging with hobbies again!

Ā 

1 hour ago, phdhopeful96 said:

Same! I really have no idea what to do now....

Sounds great! I'm doing the same. I picked up guitar during quarantine and have neglected it during application season. I'm not good by any means eyet but it is definitely super fun and a great source of anxiety relief for me.
Ā 

23 minutes ago, spring2000 said:

I have so many projects and papers I put off to work on applications and now I'm dreading picking them back up lol

Oh my god I know - I have final papers coming up and I have seriously neglected my masters thesis. Time to start working on those! Haha

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck! You are all capable and intelligent individuals, and you will end up where you're supposed to be. As a 3rd year now, I still remember the stress and anxiety of submitting applications and waiting to hear back and the feelings of sadness and failure when I didn't get interview offers. I ended up getting 1 interview, which led to 1 acceptance. The program I'm in now wasn't originally my 1st choice, but looking back, I am so happy with where I am and the opportunities I've had throughout this experience. It's a rollercoaster for sure. But remember, all you need is 1.

The coping skills you develop now will be helpful in the years to come, as the anxiety about program interviews will be replaced by anxieties regarding externship applications, internship applications, and postdoc applications. I say this not to scare you, but to remind you to be kind to yourself as you are about to embark on a long, challenging, but incredibly rewarding journey. You'll all do great ā¤.Ā 

6 hours ago, psychcoffeegal said:

I'm glad this thread was made. As a first-time applicant, I am super anxious and I keep checking my emails like crazy. I really need to shift my energy into some comfort Netflix series or even continue with research. Best of luck to all!!

First time applicant here as well. I was sort of expecting some confirmation that the apps were closed and ours were received when the clock struck midnight - not sure why we wouldĀ since we get confirmation emails anyway. It was more anti-climatic than I was expecting lol...can't decide if that adds to or helps my anxiety!

50 minutes ago, phdhopeful96 said:

First time applicant here as well. I was sort of expecting some confirmation that the apps were closed and ours were received when the clock struck midnight - not sure why we wouldĀ since we get confirmation emails anyway. It was more anti-climatic than I was expecting lol...can't decide if that adds to or helps my anxiety!

I oddly got an emailĀ that my app closed and was sent to departmental review for one school (UMass Boston)Ā ?Ā I got confirmation emails after submitting all of my apps though too

6 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck! You are all capable and intelligent individuals, and you will end up where you're supposed to be. As a 3rd year now, I still remember the stress and anxiety of submitting applications and waiting to hear back and the feelings of sadness and failure when I didn't get interview offers. I ended up getting 1 interview, which led to 1 acceptance. The program I'm in now wasn't originally my 1st choice, but looking back, I am so happy with where I am and the opportunities I've had throughout this experience. It's a rollercoaster for sure. But remember, all you need is 1.

The coping skills you develop now will be helpful in the years to come, as the anxiety about program interviews will be replaced by anxieties regarding externship applications, internship applications, and postdoc applications. I say this not to scare you, but to remind you to be kind to yourself as you are about to embark on a long, challenging, but incredibly rewarding journey. You'll all do great ā¤.Ā 

Thank you so much for this super affirming comment! It definitely helped ease a lot of my own self doubts and anxiety about this whole process.Ā ?

Just now, pomegranateleaves said:

I oddly got an emailĀ that my app closed and was sent to departmental review for one school (UMass Boston)Ā ?Ā I got confirmation emails after submitting all of my apps though too

oh lawdĀ 

anxiety returned (kinda kidding since I didn't apply there but...lemme go check all my apps lol)

Just now, phdhopeful96 said:

oh lawdĀ 

anxiety returned (kinda kidding since I didn't apply there but...lemme go check all my apps lol)

I only got the notification that one app closed and was sent to departmental review for the one school. Regarding the rest, I meant the like thank you for applying emails when I was talking about the confirmations. Sorry if I explained poorly earlier! Haha

On 12/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, EileanDonan said:

Seconding all of this, trying to get back into a mindset of actually engaging with hobbies again!

Yasss me too! I've started baking more again, just made some delicious banana bread :)Ā 

Ā 

14 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Aw thank you so much for the encouraging words for us! ā¤ļøĀ 

Who else is scared right now?Ā ?Ā I just saw the tweet regarding UNCs clinical psych phd applications. I can't BELIEVE that they received almost a THOUSAND applications! That's CRAZY.

So yeahĀ ?Ā time to pray guys. I'm not religious by any means but I am currently researching all of the deities that mankind has ever worshipped.

2 minutes ago, pomegranateleaves said:

Who else is scared right now?Ā ?Ā I just saw the tweet regarding UNCs clinical psych phd applications. I can't BELIEVE that they received almost a THOUSAND applications! That's CRAZY.

So yeahĀ ?Ā time to pray guys. I'm not religious by any means but I am currently researching all of the deities that mankind has ever worshipped.

Iā€™m from Canada and this scared me... I feel like Iā€™ve put so much into my applications and I really thought Iā€™d be a good candidate but itā€™s so hard to tell now.Ā 

2 minutes ago, pomegranateleaves said:

I saw a tweet calling out the insane number of applications to grad schools citing clinical psychology specifically. Scrolling through the comments there was one PI from the school Iā€™m aiming for who commented they felt it was similar. Not ideal. On the other hand I did appreciate the words of encouragement that even rejected it isnā€™t the end.Ā 

Just now, coffeeinmyveins said:

Iā€™m from Canada and this scared me... I feel like Iā€™ve put so much into my applications and I really thought Iā€™d be a good candidate but itā€™s so hard to tell now.Ā 

God I feel thatĀ ??Ā ?Ā I worked really hard on my applications too. It just sucks that so many super qualified people this year will mostly be rejected just because of the surge of applications. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Just now, pomegranateleaves said:

God I feel thatĀ ??Ā ?Ā I worked really hard on my applications too. It just sucks that so many super qualified people this year will mostly be rejected just because of the surge of applications. I wish you the best of luck!!!

I canā€™t imagine how hard it must be in the US too with just so many more applications but I really do wish you the best! All you need is one offer, good luck!

Just now, CateFace said:

I saw a tweet calling out the insane number of applications to grad schools citing clinical psychology specifically. Scrolling through the comments there was one PI from the school Iā€™m aiming for who commented they felt it was similar. Not ideal. On the other hand I did appreciate the words of encouragement that even rejected it isnā€™t the end.Ā 

YesĀ ??Ā ?Ā If any of us get rejected this year its not because we're unqualified. We cant be discouraged from applying again next cycle.Ā 

8 minutes ago, pomegranateleaves said:

Yeah, I'm definitely trying not to freak out but... I'm totally freaking out. This is my second cycleĀ and I was feeling pretty good,Ā but seeing these tweets is defff making me nervousĀ ??Ā It seems like PIs on Twitter are discussing the reasons for the increase, and there isn't a clear consensus, but it's not necessarily just that people are looking for work due to a recession. I think either way it's going to be a competitive year. Eek!!

Edited by standardegg3456

Just now, standardegg3456 said:

Yeah, I'm definitely trying not to freak out but... I'm totally freaking out. This is my second cycleĀ and I was feeling pretty good,Ā but seeing these tweets is defff making me nervousĀ ??Ā It seems like PIs are discussing reasons for the increase in apps, and there isn't a clear consensus, but it's not necessarily just that people are looking for work due to a recession.Ā Eek!!

It's my second time applying too!! I applied in 2018 last time for Fall 2019 admission. I received 2 interviews then but unfortunately no offers. I was so CONFIDENT this time because of how hard I worked - plus learning from what I didn't do as well last time. All of that confidence just like went down the drain. I'm so scared but I'm trying to hang in there and stay positive. If you dont receive any interview offers it's not because you're unqualified - the odds are just literally stacked against our favors in the most turbulent year we have ever lived. Not to mention, we are also in the middle of a pandemic???Ā