Apps are done! Now what? Emotional support time!

pomegranateleaves

I know we were all expecting an increased amount of apps this year, but it looks like we largely underestimated just how massive the increase would be. I wonder how much of this can be solely attributed to the GRE vs. general pandemic pandemonium? If it's more the former, how likely are we to see these increased amounts become the norm every year? I'm not looking forward to the idea of trudging through this again next year. ?

I was wondering in those new applicants have any research experience?

Edit: considering they decided to get into academia given the lack of opportunities in other fields, I can only suppose they don't have much research experience. I am assuming that those who seek to be involved with research during their undergraduate years are those who end up applying directly to graduate school after finishing their undergraduate degrees.

Edited by Fabretti

2 minutes ago, Fabretti said:

I was wondering in those new applicants have any research experience?

Edit: considering they decided to get into academia given the lack of opportunities in other fields, I can only suppose they don't have much research experience. I am assuming that those who seek to be involved with research during their undergraduate years are those who end up applying directly to graduate school after finishing their undergraduate degrees.

I was in a lab meeting earlier this morning and the PI said almost the exact same thing! Me and fellow people who applied for doctoral positions asked him what he thought about the surge. He essentially told us not to worry - he expects that a lot of the new applicants don't have applications that are competitive. Which was a huge relief!

3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

I know we were all expecting an increased amount of apps this year, but it looks like we largely underestimated just how massive the increase would be. I wonder how much of this can be solely attributed to the GRE vs. general pandemic pandemonium? If it's more the former, how likely are we to see these increased amounts become the norm every year? I'm not looking forward to the idea of trudging through this again next year. ?

Although they may receive more applicantions, the schools are likely going to extend offers to those who live near by, since there is a greater chance of them attending. 

So I hope for your sake you are not:

1. An international student, I dont have anything against them(they are just more Americans who are fighting for the spots, more American means more potential  funding for the school)

2. Trying to go to school on the opposite coast

*** I feel bad for international student since things were already difficult for them.

33 minutes ago, pomegranateleaves said:

I was in a lab meeting earlier this morning and the PI said almost the exact same thing! Me and fellow people who applied for doctoral positions asked him what he thought about the surge. He essentially told us not to worry - he expects that a lot of the new applicants don't have applications that are competitive. Which was a huge relief!

I think a lot of people were just throwing out their applications to a ton of programs, not knowing the actual work that is needed for a clinical psych application. 

3 minutes ago, Number34 said:

Although they may receive more applicantions, the schools are likely going to extend offers to those who live near by, since there is a greater chance of them attending. 

So I hope for your sake you are not:

1. An international student, I dont have anything against them(they are just more Americans who are fighting for the spots, more American means more potential  funding for the school)

2. Trying to go to school on the opposite coast

*** I feel bad for international student since things were already difficult for them.

Compelling if any of these points are true or rooted in some logic. International situation depends per school, some internationals can hold external funding from non-US funding sources in the US. 

Edited by higaisha

You are making my point. You can take my message as "coming to the US has now become more dependent on external funding because of Covid". Keep also in mind how national institution like the NIH is keeping greater track of who is getting funded from "non US sources". Overall it promotes a bad enviroment, not to mention the racial part.

So, I restate my point: 

I hope for your sake you are not:

2. Trying to go to school on the opposite coast.

So - I am apparently late this knowledge (oh the things I have learned in this process!!), but academic twitter seems to be a rich resource to connect with others in the field and become more familiar with research that various people are working on. I attended a conference this week where one session touched on this and encouraged others to reach out and connect via following one another on twitter, and it was immediately so wonderful! Lots of papers and posters that others have worked on and posted are on their feeds and I love it! 

So reflecting on that experience, I'm going to post my twitter handle here, and I am happy to follow back any academics that also want to connect on twitter. Regardless of whether we are accepted into our programs this year or not, I would love to follow your academic pursuits! 
I am @KatyLoweYYC

Just now, CateFace said:

So - I am apparently late this knowledge (oh the things I have learned in this process!!), but academic twitter seems to be a rich resource to connect with others in the field and become more familiar with research that various people are working on. I attended a conference this week where one session touched on this and encouraged others to reach out and connect via following one another on twitter, and it was immediately so wonderful! Lots of papers and posters that others have worked on and posted are on their feeds and I love it! 

So reflecting on that experience, I'm going to post my twitter handle here, and I am happy to follow back any academics that also want to connect on twitter. Regardless of whether we are accepted into our programs this year or not, I would love to follow your academic pursuits! 
I am @KatyLoweYYC

I second this - I love Academic Twitter, and I'd love to make Clinical Psych Twitter more of a thing! 

I'm @jess_froe 

On 12/4/2020 at 3:39 PM, CateFace said:

I am @KatyLoweYYC

Oh yeah! Academic Twitter is an amazing source for finding relevant research as well as networking. I have been able to connect with people across the globe who are pursuing the same types research as I am, which then opens all kinds of potential future doors. And at the very least, gives a sneak peek to what is up and coming in the field. It's especially useful for those who might be considering alt-ac jobs in the future; you get a chance to meet and interact with others who have have taken their PhD outside the ivory tower. 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, psychcoffeegal said:

I'm glad this thread was made. As a first-time applicant, I am super anxious and I keep checking my emails like crazy. I really need to shift my energy into some comfort Netflix series or even continue with research. Best of luck to all!!

I am also a first-time applicant and this process is so nerve-wracking.

I just found this forum today. Good luck ❤️ 

I just want so spread some love and support to everyone right now ? If you haven't gotten any emails or phone calls yet, just remember that this application cycle is super unique for so many different reasons. Professors and departments are going to take longer to go through peoples applications, so interview invites will most likely be delayed this cycle in comparison to previous years. We've all worked so hard during such a turbulent year and the fact that you have even applied just shows how resilient you are. Eat some snacks, binge watch that show you love, and remember to take naps when you need to 

13 minutes ago, babybokchoy said:

I'm a nervous ball of wax...I keep checking my email and this forum every 15 minutes. 

LOL I dunno why but "ball of wax" literally made me laugh out loud 

I keep telling myself I need to take a break from forums/Slack/Discord/email and then I automatically keep checking them...it's wired into my muscle memory now 

Just now, justacigar said:

LOL I dunno why but "ball of wax" literally made me laugh out loud 

I keep telling myself I need to take a break from forums/Slack/Discord/email and then I automatically keep checking them...it's wired into my muscle memory now 

Yep. Me too. :P

Would like to report that I'm very proud of myself. For the first time in a long time, upon waking up I did not check either my application status on my portal or gradcafe first. I've actually read 40 pages of the current unit I'm working on before wandering over to hit refresh....

baby steps here lol 

Take a deep breath all.  With only a few exceptions, programs won't make decisions about offering interviews until January.  You will see some people who get contacted before that, for programs that make earlier decisions, but really, try to enjoy your holiday season and winter break.  You will need that energy for January and February when stuff gets real :)

31 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Does anyone else feel like a broken record lately? I swear anytime my friends or family ask how I'm doing, all I can say is "stressed about applications". LOL I think that is my only emotion these days? 

This is me. My moods are basically "okay to mildly happy" or "I'm never going to school ever again and I need to pick a new career." My poor spouse has to put up with me. ?

Edited by EileanDonan
a word

Obsessively looking at programs "admissions tables" where they list their admitted classes  stats. Just making sure I stack up decently, and hoping the applicant pools remain the same size lol (with IUP reporting the highest applicant #s historically). 

One moment I think, oh yeah, I got this. Then I look again, again, and again... and change my mind. I hate this game lol 

I hope everyone is doing ok.. remember to be KIND to yourself. This is an insane year to apply regardless of the increased competitiveness most programs are reporting. It's hard not to feel disheartened but this is only the beginning of interview season, don't give up hope yet! Good luck everyone!