Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

"Why don't you just get a job?"

UGH. I don't know, maybe it's because a B.S. in Psychology isn't like a degree in Engineering? What "job" should I get in my field with just a B.S.?

I think the most annoying thing is one of the things that remain unsaid. A lot of my friends on FB and the like haven't applied to grad school and have no intention to (for a large number of reasons). Ever since I started working in a research lab I was inundated with "Why are you bothering? Why don't you work somewhere that pays you?". When I began participating in other non-lab extracurriculars to help my applications, I was again met with "You should get a job so you have spending money!". Yeah, let me just set aside 20 hours a week to get a job on top of the labs and classes I'm involved in. People that don't want to apply to graduate school honestly don't get it. That's why I spend so much time on Gradcafe. You guys understand and aren't urging me to get a job. It really sucks to not be able to commiserate with my close friends. 

THEML: "have you heard anything yet?"

Me: No the deadline to apply is in JANUARY!!! (It was November)

I got that a LOT this year.

THEM: you'll get in a lot of places."

ME: You do realize they only accept like 7 students

THEM: Well how many apply?"

ME: About 100"

THEM: O.O

That face was always priceless

GRANDMA: Have you hear anything yet

ME: No Grandma, not yet

GRANDMA: You shouldn't have waited a year after college, it might hurt you

ME: Grandma, that won't make a difference. Besides I had to wait, I had no money to get into grad school.

GRANDMA: I know what I'm talking about

ME: (thinking to myself) You didn't even GO to college.

I got this doozy from my friends the other day (context, I've done a funded master's and will be starting my phd in the fall).

While we were discussing the struggles of moving out and living independently.

Friend: What you did doesn't really count. I mean, it's not like you had a full time job, you're still a student.

[My head nearly exploded and after a lengthy argument I left]

I got this doozy from my friends the other day (context, I've done a funded master's and will be starting my phd in the fall).

While we were discussing the struggles of moving out and living independently.

Friend: What you did doesn't really count. I mean, it's not like you had a full time job, you're still a student.

[My head nearly exploded and after a lengthy argument I left]

For the sake of my own sanity, which is almost nonexistent after enduring this app season, I have simply ceased discussing anything about graduate school with people who haven't been through this. They just don't get it.

"So what are you going to do with that degree?"

"Well, hopefully, I'll become a professor at a university somewhere."

"So you want to teach?"

The ones who don't know that being a professor also means doing research and/or think that research is something you do using Google.

Especially the ones who went to college and somehow don't know that.

My father told me yesterday that I should just get an online PhD somewhere because it's the same thing. When I told him that I wanted to understand my field better, he said it sounded like I just wanted to be a student and that I could learn on my own.

Sigh.

"Does your husband know about this?"

(After making a "moving across the country for grad school" status on FB).

That sounds like a polite way of saying, "I can't believe your husband is letting you do this."

Not to be unfairly cynical towards your Facebook friends....

That sounds like a polite way of saying, "I can't believe your husband is letting you do this."

Not to be unfairly cynical towards your Facebook friends....

Commenter is a conservative christian, so your cynicism is probably appropriate.

The ones who don't know that being a professor also means doing research and/or think that research is something you do using Google.

Especially the ones who went to college and somehow don't know that.

I only learned that professor =/= teacher like a year and a half ago. :x

Edited by PhDerp

"Oooh I'm coming to visit you in Montreal!!!"

Ummm...when I lived 30 miles from you, I never saw you, but now you're gonna make the effort to see me when I'm living in another country because you want a cheap vacation???

I'm actually hoping for that. I live in a boring (but pretty) little town in the middle of nowhere right now. Still, I live near enough to a lot of friends that they can visit me whenever. But they never do!

I hope people use my apartment as a home base for visiting Hollywood and Disneyland. I'm counting on it. I'm asking them to! XD

I'm actually hoping for that. I live in a boring (but pretty) little town in the middle of nowhere right now. Still, I live near enough to a lot of friends that they can visit me whenever. But they never do!

I hope people use my apartment as a home base for visiting Hollywood and Disneyland. I'm counting on it. I'm asking them to! XD

I wouldn't mind if they were real friends. If they really cared about seeing me they'd have done it while I was here, so no thanks.

My friends are all in either medical school, law school, or getting a masters in engineering...so I am sort of glad that they will be using my flat as a homebase in the UK. ****I am in NYC and most of my friends are all over the world currently****** The ones that are out in the "real world", I talk to them every day on fb so it isn't as bad. 

Goddamn PsychD, you can not catch a break.

Some context, my dad and I don't have a great relationship. Found out that my stepmother hadn't told him that I was accepted to a school with funding and a teaching position (I told her WEEKS before, so I was a little frustrated by that), so the conversation went like this (after trying to start the conversation by congratulating him on a promotion at work):

"So, did you hear my good news?"

"...huh?"

"Did you hear about my good news? Did Christie tell you?"

"No, I don't think so."

"She didn't tell you?! I mean, it's kind of a huge deal, but okay...I've been accepted to earn a PhD at KSU with a full tuition waiver, teaching stipend making way more than I do now. So no matter what, I'm earning my PhD starting this fall!"

"I thought you were going to MSU."

"Well no, I've been waitlisted there. I haven't heard from them yet..."

"Oh. That's too bad."

As opposed to, "that's great news" or "congratulations" or "good job", I get "I thought you were going somewhere else". The whole thing frustrates me to pieces. /grumble grumble rant off

"Well, I hope you like being out in the cold in the middle of nowhere..."

My current research advisor, when I told him I was going to Illinois. He was kidding, of course, but I found this comment amusing considering we are hundreds of miles to the north of Champaign-Urbana, and it definitely gets colder here than it does there.

"I'm going to American University."

"Oh. So which university in America?"

I'm from another country, so I can't really blame my friends and family when they say this to me... Still, it is frustrating and I hate to explain it for so many times. Maybe I should make a public announcement about it.

• 9 months later...

3x a day:

them: "so what schools are you applying to?"

[you rattle off the two thousand schools against your will because it's the path of least resistance]

them: "which one's your top choice?"

you: "i don't really have one. it will depend on what offers i get and where my personal life is when it comes time to make the decision"

them: ... [clearly unsatisfied with your answer] "yeahhhh... but if you got into all of them right now, where would you go?"

you: "that's not going to happen. no point in hypothesizing about that eventuality"

them: "where do you want to go?"

you: "i only applied places i wanted to go." [why would i apply anywhere i wouldn't want to go?]

and both parties leave slightly annoyed.

"Oh you have an interview today?  That's weird.  When I got into grad school 40 years ago I didn't have to interview so I'm not sure why you need to do an interview now.  What kind of program is this anyway?"

-My well meaning yet slightly out of touch co-worker's reaction when I informed her I was doing a grad school interview over the phone this afternoon