Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

"You're applying to be a doctoral student??? You're the first girl I've ever wanted to date who was smarter than me...it makes me feel very uncomfortable."

Really?!?!?!?!

Edited by PsycD

"You're applying to be a doctoral student??? You're the first girl I've ever wanted to date who was smarter than me...it makes me feel very uncomfortable."

Wow.  What a good way to not get any more dates.  As others have said...

Dump him on the roadside

My uncle on going to grad school: "When you're done, the vaginas will start lining up!"

As fond as I am of my family, I really must question them sometimes.

My parents keep hinting at the fact that by the time I get out I will be almost 30 and still have not started life in the real world...let alone have a serious relationship.  I guess its impossible to date in graduate school? Funny they would know this because neither of them went to college :/

My top 3 in conversational order:

"Oh, it's good you're going for your masters."

Actually, I'm applying to PhD programs. 

"How are you going to pay for 5 more years of school?!"

Well, they're actually going to pay me to go for all 5 years. I won't be spending a dime. 

"Oh, well, I was planning on getting my PhD too sometime. Seems like it will be fun."

Oh. Well, okay. Good luck with that then. 

(Unspoken thoughts: Yeah. Right. You just strap on your PhD helmet, squeeze down into a PhD cannon, and fire off into PhD-land, where PhDs grow on PhDrees.)

Mom: "So ... how much does that stipend offer leave you to pay for school out of pocket?" (asked tonight, over a month after I got the offer)

Me: "Oh, mom, I get a tuition waiver, they're basically paying for me to attend there since I'll be working for them as a teaching assistant. I won't pay a dime!"

Mom: *sigh of relief*

Me: "Yes, the good thing about grad school is that there are more opportunities for full tuition waivers than in undergrad."

Mom: *chuckles* "Unless they play sports; then those applicants might have those opportunities in undergrad!"

I feel so terrible that my mom didn't know about the tuition waiver earlier!!! I never explained it well enough!!  She knows I'm in a good amount of debt from student loans and feels bad that she couldn't help pay for college at all during my undergrad, so she was really worried about me paying/taking out loans for grad school, too ... oh mom, I love you and I'm sorry!  

Thoroughly explaining funding offers to family is a good idea!!

Edited by gingin6789

Really?!?!?!?!

You DO know how to pick them. I wish you better luck in the future though!

You DO know how to pick them. I wish you better luck in the future though!

Statistically, I should have found a good one at random by now. Perhaps it's not my selection skills but rather something wrong with the selection pool.

My parents keep hinting at the fact that by the time I get out I will be almost 30 and still have not started life in the real world...let alone have a serious relationship.  I guess its impossible to date in graduate school? Funny they would know this because neither of them went to college :/

I'll be 36 when I'm finally done (35 if I'm quick!), but I'm already married, so I don't have that one. My Mom does hint regularly that she'd like more grandchildren though. She said yesterday that she'd move to the UK to be my nanny if necessary!

I'll be 36 when I'm finally done (35 if I'm quick!), but I'm already married, so I don't have that one. My Mom does hint regularly that she'd like more grandchildren though. She said yesterday that she'd move to the UK to be my nanny if necessary!

I feel like no matter what, people have something to criticize with this.  Not married?  Get married!  No kids?  Well, get to making those babies!  You DO have kids?  You're abandoning your children by being so career focused! -or- Are you really happy giving up a career for your kids?

You just can't win. :P

1. Not to sound offensive but where do you find these guys?!

2. That says more about him than it does about you... 

Really?!?!?!?!

1. Not to sound offensive but where do you find these guys?!

2. That says more about him than it does about you...

What? You mean, all men aren't like the ones I meet? lol

What? You mean, all men aren't like the ones I meet? lol

If you'd get yourself out of Mordor, you might find higher quality men (or, actually, you might find some men, period). 

LOTR: awesome. Real life jerks: not so awesome.

Edited by engphiledu

"Why are you even doing a Phd? How is it relevant? How can you serve the Lord with a PhD in Victorian Literature?" --my mother

I got into three schools, two with full funding/fellowships, and this is the response I get.

...sometimes, I just want to cry. I'm the first person in my family to pursue a PhD, but clearly that's irrelevant to my increasingly fanatic-religious mother. The only way she will ever be happy with me is if I settle down, pop out a few kids, and read every single sermon she emails me (which is 10+ a week, people, not even exaggerating).

"Why are you even doing a Phd? How is it relevant? How can you serve the Lord with a PhD in Victorian Literature?" --my mother

I got into three schools, two with full funding/fellowships, and this is the response I get.

...sometimes, I just want to cry. I'm the first person in my family to pursue a PhD, but clearly that's irrelevant to my increasingly fanatic-religious mother. The only way she will ever be happy with me is if I settle down, pop out a few kids, and read every single sermon she emails me (which is 10+ a week, people, not even exaggerating).

tell her the Victorians were very religious and you are going to consider other perspectives on "the Lord" to give you a better understanding of your place in the universe and how to serve him.

or some other something. maybe.

Tell her you're serving the Lord by using the brain that he blessed you with to further your education...wouldn't want to waste those talents.

tell her the Victorians were very religious and you are going to consider other perspectives on "the Lord" to give you a better understanding of your place in the universe and how to serve him.

or some other something. maybe.

Hah. This. It would help if she didn't believe all of the denominations other than her own are wrong (my mother might be the female Mel Gibson, actually).