Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

2 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

I know this is a stressful time for many people here and I was in the same boat many times over and over (still haven't gotten in lol). But I just want to remind everyone that at the end of the day- this is just a graduate school program. I know it means a lot and may get you started on your career path, but all of you have the capability already there. Find what gets you fired up and makes you happy and follow it. Do it whether you get in or not and you will be happy anyway. This is just one option but what's needed to have fulfiling careers is already in you so try not to make this into more than it is- just one more option of making your career dreams come true. You will make it happen either way if you really want to and it will be just as amazing when you do :) 

2 minutes ago, prospectclin said:

question for those of you who have interviewed so far - i'm wondering how closely matched you were to your POI in terms of past research experience and research interests? 

It's funny - the one program that contacted me for an interview was the one that I (thought) I had the least chances of being interviewed for. It was a bit of a stretch in terms of research interests, but in fact, this made it all the more interesting during the interview when we began brainstorming collaborative research possibilities. I think that common interests are important in general (i.e. developmental, neuroscience, etc). but in terms of population or area I feel that these are factors that can be flexible and your prof and you can work to find some common ground :)

10 minutes ago, hsnl said:

Good :) 

I think we all need to keep our ambition that we clearly have and keep applying and working away the way we do, but also keep in mind that there is more to us and to our options than this. Let's always try to look at the whole picture every time we get caught up. For our own sakes. Things will work out regardless. 

46 minutes ago, prospectclin said:

question for those of you who have interviewed so far - i'm wondering how closely matched you were to your POI in terms of past research experience and research interests? 

My research match with my POIs are pretty well matched. For me, that's pretty important. The research I do is stuff that gets me super excited and I want to make sure I can continually bring that energy to my work. Of course, new stuff is always interesting, but I think, for me, I would like a strong common ground of interests. 

3 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

I know this is a stressful time for many people here and I was in the same boat many times over and over (still haven't gotten in lol). But I just want to remind everyone that at the end of the day- this is just a graduate school program. I know it means a lot and may get you started on your career path, but all of you have the capability already there. Find what gets you fired up and makes you happy and follow it. Do it whether you get in or not and you will be happy anyway. This is just one option but what's needed to have fulfiling careers is already in you so try not to make this into more than it is- just one more option of making your career dreams come true. You will make it happen either way if you really want to and it will be just as amazing when you do :) 

This is awesome! yes, we can always try again if things are not going in our expected ways. It will make us a more resilient individual for future ups and downs! 

1 hour ago, prospectclin said:

someone posted on the results page abt an interview at YorkU for 'Psychology, Masters' and mentioned they were invited to the open house Feb24th. anyone know if that poster is likely referring to a psych program other than clinical? 

I think only the C/CD areas have a Open House (could be wrong), and the other areas have a general interview one-on-one process. The slightly larger areas like SP and BBCS might bring more of their applicants in on one day for a pseudo-Open House day. The one for C/CD is for sure February 17th.

1 hour ago, Jay's Brain said:

I think only the C/CD areas have a Open House (could be wrong), and the other areas have a general interview one-on-one process. The slightly larger areas like SP and BBCS might bring more of their applicants in on one day for a pseudo-Open House day. The one for C/CD is for sure February 17th.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

To all those who've applied to uOttawa, I spoke with a professor today and they told me that this week was when professors would be sent their list of potential students. In the coming weeks, maybe 2 or 3, is when they will be making their decisions and sending their rankings back to the committee for final admission decisions. So, don't stress about your application being "incomplete" online - this is normal and part of the new software system that was installed last semester!

thanks for the update! so we should expect to hear back from our POI in a couple of weeks for a possible interview?

So apparently I applied to the University of Regina without sending them my transcripts...

It's not part of the online application, and apparently you were supposed to email them to the university as tentative proof. I have no idea how I lost track of this (believing I sent them via mail I suppose), after being so damn meticulous for every little bit of the application for each university.

Sent them anyways (16 days after the deadline), but not holding my breath...

I just want to kick myself - all that work undone by one small (or I guess not so small) slip up :( 

5 hours ago, Noctiv said:

So apparently I applied to the University of Regina without sending them my transcripts...

It's not part of the online application, and apparently you were supposed to email them to the university as tentative proof. I have no idea how I lost track of this (believing I sent them via mail I suppose), after being so damn meticulous for every little bit of the application for each university.

Sent them anyways (16 days after the deadline), but not holding my breath...

I just want to kick myself - all that work undone by one small (or I guess not so small) slip up :( 

There are always the possibility of second round interviews! Last year I was interviewed in March at Regina. I didn't end up getting in, but some of the profs do wait a bit before sending out invites, or hold second round interviews. 

I know some of the profs have sent out interview requests already, but I wouldn't necessarily lose *all* hope!

17 hours ago, prospectclin said:

Hi, I've found that I've only interviewed at schools where there was a great fit for research population (children, youth or adults). The content itself has been pretty varied but a little overlap in terms of methodology or something else is good.

17 hours ago, prospectclin said:

I've only interviewed at schools where my POI does research on the same general topic that most of my experience has been in, although they all study different populations. I honestly think that that's the main reason I got interviews- my area of research is quite small and not as many people have experience with it compared to some other areas of psych. 

19 hours ago, Chasing Dreams (Degrees) said:

Has anyone who received an interview at Guelph received confirmation of an interview date since initial correspondence with the program coordinator? I was told to plan for a specific date, but that I would hear last night with confirmation and further details and I haven't yet. Just not sure if I should be patient (probably the case) or email her to follow up.

I received a follow up from the coordinator last night with the solid date, and a schedule for the day. Hopefully you hear from her soon! I'm sure she is just swamped with scheduling everyone ! Hope to see you there! :)

4 hours ago, HopefulFutureGrad said:

There are always the possibility of second round interviews! Last year I was interviewed in March at Regina. I didn't end up getting in, but some of the profs do wait a bit before sending out invites, or hold second round interviews. 

I know some of the profs have sent out interview requests already, but I wouldn't necessarily lose *all* hope!

15 hours ago, Jungandrestless said:

thanks for the update! so we should expect to hear back from our POI in a couple of weeks for a possible interview?

I want to say yes - but then again, it's up to the POI whether they are interviewing potential applicants or not. I haven't been contacted for an interview, but as I am an undergrad here, I feel that I may not get one at all. If you message me your POI I could potentially ask them what's going on, if I know them/work in their department. 

23 hours ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

It's funny - the one program that contacted me for an interview was the one that I (thought) I had the least chances of being interviewed for. It was a bit of a stretch in terms of research interests, but in fact, this made it all the more interesting during the interview when we began brainstorming collaborative research possibilities. I think that common interests are important in general (i.e. developmental, neuroscience, etc). but in terms of population or area I feel that these are factors that can be flexible and your prof and you can work to find some common ground :)

23 hours ago, researchjunkie said:

My research match with my POIs are pretty well matched. For me, that's pretty important. The research I do is stuff that gets me super excited and I want to make sure I can continually bring that energy to my work. Of course, new stuff is always interesting, but I think, for me, I would like a strong common ground of interests. 

6 hours ago, superfruitpsych said:

Hi, I've found that I've only interviewed at schools where there was a great fit for research population (children, youth or adults). The content itself has been pretty varied but a little overlap in terms of methodology or something else is good.

5 hours ago, hsnl said:

I've only interviewed at schools where my POI does research on the same general topic that most of my experience has been in, although they all study different populations. I honestly think that that's the main reason I got interviews- my area of research is quite small and not as many people have experience with it compared to some other areas of psych. 

thank you guys for the insight :) 

On 1/19/2017 at 9:50 PM, Isabel said:

Does anyone have any information or insight on the interview process at Saskatchewan? Thank you in advance!

Any updates? I did two phone interviews around 1/19 but I have no idea when they notify applicants after that. :( I am going crazy waiting. 

If anyone is wondering about Concordia, I was recently told by someone there that recommendations have to be in by next week and final admissions decisions will be made in early March. I know some faculty members are less forthcoming than others about the admissions process, so I thought I'd share! 

13 hours ago, Elunei said:

Any volunteers to call McGill and ask what's going on - it's been 2 months!

Maybe someone who's a local and not a long distance call away? :lol:

I would like to ask someone toooooo? 

I sent thank you email following up from interview and it was really well received :)  

PoI didn't mention whether I made it into next round, but I am assuming that not saying I didnt make it is also good? They did mention that they enjoyed the interview. Fingers crossed! This POI seems like they would be such an awesome supervisor.