Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

2 hours ago, PhDPLZ said:

I was just waitlisted at Windsor, super bummed about it :(

Sorry to hear :( I know positive thinking only goes so far (and it's only natural to have some lapses), but I do think we need to try and keep things in perspective - being waitlisted means you are a good candidate. I learned earlier today that my honours thesis adviser attended her university after being admitted off a waitlist, so there definitely is still hope!

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, hsnl said:

Just wondering, does anyone know anything about funding at York? I can't find any information on it online. 

Yeah their website is fancy looking but terrible for information. From my impression, it is fully funded somewhere between $21-24k a year, but that's as far as I got in talking to faculty.

1 hour ago, PhDPLZ said:

Has anyone heard anything from McGill Clinical? Do they do interviews? 

I haven't heard anything yet. I emailed an update to my application to the graduate secretary on January 17th, when she said that "if a professor is interested in your application, he/she will contact you in the next few weeks." I've been assuming that not hearing anything by now is a no-go sign, but is that a safe assumption? 

3 minutes ago, Happy_Green_Inchworm said:

I haven't heard anything yet. I emailed an update to my application to the graduate secretary on January 17th, when she said that "if a professor is interested in your application, he/she will contact you in the next few weeks." I've been assuming that not hearing anything by now is a no-go sign, but is that a safe assumption? 

Ah ok, I really don't know how McGill works. Some of the results in past years have stated that they did not have an interview. So I am not sure if that is something they still do or if not being contacted means that you are not considered. 

17 minutes ago, PhDPLZ said:

Ah ok, I really don't know how McGill works. Some of the results in past years have stated that they did not have an interview. So I am not sure if that is something they still do or if not being contacted means that you are not considered. 

If it is the same as the Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, I think the professor would contact you individually if they are interested prior to changing status in the portal. And the professors have contacted some of us in late January, but the official result is not received nor the portal is updated by GPS.  Hope it helps!

17 hours ago, SFUFTW said:

Got an interview at SFU for Counselling Psychology! 

Yay congrats!! :) 

I just emailed them asking for an update and they said "Contact will be by email and all students will be notified by the middle of April with regard to their application." " :( 

2 hours ago, PhDPLZ said:

Has anyone heard anything from McGill Clinical? Do they do interviews? 

I'm from McGill, and yes they don't do interviews in most cases. I can confirm they have contacted a few students already though, my friend got accepted to clinical about a week ago. For counselling and educational, not much has gone out yet from what I know.

1 hour ago, ContentFaces said:

Has anyone heard anything from OISE SCCP in the past week? I saw that someone has been wait listed on the results page.

I am pretty sure that the people they plan to contact have been contacted because I cant see some profs accepting people while others haven't :( Sorry I am in the same case as you I've heard nothing 

2 hours ago, Pandas said:

Yay congrats!! :) 

I just emailed them asking for an update and they said "Contact will be by email and all students will be notified by the middle of April with regard to their application." " :( 

Thank you! Hmmm it seems they are still contacting folks though, so there is definitely hope! 

Also for those who are hoping to hear back from UBC any time soon... not likely. 

This is what they responded: 

We will inform successful applicants in mid March and unsuccessful applicants in late April.

5 hours ago, Neposydko said:

I'm from McGill, and yes they don't do interviews in most cases. I can confirm they have contacted a few students already though, my friend got accepted to clinical about a week ago. For counselling and educational, not much has gone out yet from what I know.

Thank you! Very helpful ☺️ So still some hope maybe sort of.  Hahahaha 

2 hours ago, delmoon said:

what takes so long about decisions after an interview ? 

Often a multitude of things, from what I've heard. There is usually a grace period of a week where faculty create a priority list and review their applicants. They then have a departmental meeting where they discuss the applicants. Then there is a meeting later about funding for students, which often amounts to a decent wait time for applicants! 

I hope that helps!

4 hours ago, psych123456 said:

I am pretty sure that the people they plan to contact have been contacted because I cant see some profs accepting people while others haven't :( Sorry I am in the same case as you I've heard nothing 

? sigh....

to those who received offers of admission, was there a specified date that you are required to decide whether you accept or decline the offer? I just received an offer at Calgary and the deadline is March 22 which seems extremely close considering I have only heard back from one other place and still have 5 other universities that I am waiting to hear back on. Do you think its possible to ask for an extension??? I even applied to CGS for funding and I know that April 1 is when you receive offers. I am not sure what to do at this point! 

14 minutes ago, Jungandrestless said:

to those who received offers of admission, was there a specified date that you are required to decide whether you accept or decline the offer? I just received an offer at Calgary and the deadline is March 22 which seems extremely close considering I have only heard back from one other place and still have 5 other universities that I am waiting to hear back on. Do you think its possible to ask for an extension??? I even applied to CGS for funding and I know that April 1 is when you receive offers. I am not sure what to do at this point! 

I'm surprised they don't use the April 15 deadline that everyone else uses. I would tell them that you'll let them know as soon as possible and ask for an extension if you don't hear back before the deadline. 

EDIT: Just looked it up, CPA requires that schools give applicants until April 15 to make a decision. U of C is accredited, so they need to abide by this. 

Edited by FacelessMage

1 minute ago, FacelessMage said:

I'm surprised they don't use the April 15 deadline that everyone else uses. I would tell them that you'll let them know as soon as possible and ask for an extension if you don't hear back before the deadline. 

This is a counselling program so I feel that they might have earlier deadlines but regardless I saw on the results page that other people received offers for counselling programs in April or even later. I just assumed April 15 is kinda like a universal deadline for these programs. Do you think it best to mention that I am waiting to hear back from other universities and funding? I'm not sure what the best way to formulate an email would be! 

6 minutes ago, Jungandrestless said:

This is a counselling program so I feel that they might have earlier deadlines but regardless I saw on the results page that other people received offers for counselling programs in April or even later. I just assumed April 15 is kinda like a universal deadline for these programs. Do you think it best to mention that I am waiting to hear back from other universities and funding? I'm not sure what the best way to formulate an email would be! 

The counseling program is still CPA accredited (one of the few in Canada that is actually), so they really should be abiding by the April 15 standard. Definitely mention the funding aspect, and also ask about the CPA-mandated April 15 deadline (http://www.cpa.ca/accreditation/resources/). I feel it's valid to want to know about the funding beforehand. 

4 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

The counseling program is still CPA accredited (one of the few in Canada that is actually), so they really should be abiding by the April 15 standard. Definitely mention the funding aspect, and also ask about the CPA-mandated April 15 deadline (http://www.cpa.ca/accreditation/resources/). I feel it's valid to want to know about the funding beforehand. 

Wow thank-you for the link I had no idea that is was actually mandated. I worry that because I applied to a Master's program (which is not CPA accredited only PhD is - however I intend to carry into the PhD program) I won't be able to use that information but I feel that funding is a valid reason to ask for an extension. Thanks!!!

Anyone got insider info on what's up at OttawaU? I saw someone posted about an interview in the results section, but nothing new since then it seems...

Edited by Neposydko