HKS 2018

Stacy_85

12 minutes ago, adow93 said:

Funding (scholarship & fellowship) and financial aid have been handled separately by all the schools that have given me a decision. Therefore, could they announce funding and admissions decisions together and then financial aid information a few days later?

Good point, I hope this is the case! Makes sense too with the accelerated timeline for  the fellowship applications and interviews. The interview I had for a CPL fellowship was 11 days ago, which I realize is not that long in the big picture, but it's feeling like forever haha. I've been hoping to get the news all at once, whether it's good or bad! 

6 minutes ago, lackey said:

Not HKS-related but it's been confirmed by WWS admissions via phone (someone else called): Decision Thursday!

If I remember correctly, doesn't HKS try to beat Princeton to the punch in releasing decisions?

I was chatting with a friend of mine who is at Harvard a while back about this entire process and he relayed to me that part of the reason HKS wants to try and release the financial aid info earlier is because they keep losing high quality students to WWS. Essentially, students are accepted to both schools and because they didn't know what Harvard was going to offer in aid until it was too late, they decide to head to Princeton.

13 minutes ago, tropisk_winter said:

Good point, I hope this is the case! Makes sense too with the accelerated timeline for  the fellowship applications and interviews. The interview I had for a CPL fellowship was 11 days ago, which I realize is not that long in the big picture, but it's feeling like forever haha. I've been hoping to get the news all at once, whether it's good or bad! 

Glad I'm not the only one freaking out after the CPL interview. It wasn't my best interview I've ever done and it's been killing me ever since haha.

I had a dream that I received that email notification to check my application page...and that it said accepted and what not. The night prior I had a slight panic attack...so ready for this all to be DONE! Haha. I'm hoping it's tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, Damis said:

If I remember correctly, doesn't HKS try to beat Princeton to the punch in releasing decisions?

I was chatting with a friend of mine who is at Harvard a while back about this entire process and he relayed to me that part of the reason HKS wants to try and release the financial aid info earlier is because they keep losing high quality students to WWS. Essentially, students are accepted to both schools and because they didn't know what Harvard was going to offer in aid until it was too late, they decide to head to Princeton.

Glad I'm not the only one freaking out after the CPL interview. It wasn't my best interview I've ever done and it's been killing me ever since haha.

I had a dream that I received that email notification to check my application page...and that it said accepted and what not. The night prior I had a slight panic attack...so ready for this all to be DONE! Haha. I'm hoping it's tomorrow!

Matt should release decisions tomorrow, in that case! How good is HKS' typical aid? I can't imagine it being on par with WWS for most...

4 minutes ago, lackey said:

Matt should release decisions tomorrow, in that case! How good is HKS' typical aid? I can't imagine it being on par with WWS for most...

I have a friend who went into astronomical debt...and I have another friend who had a full ride and hefty stipend. On average, it's somewhere in between haha.

HKS doesn't come close to matching WWS in regards to scholarships, someone from the school actually said that on these forums a while back actually, but I do know they make a concerted effort to get as much merit aid out the door as possible. It will be interesting to see what the change in FA processing will do in regards to institutional aid offered. I've never heard of anyone negotiating with Harvard around FA before, but that may now be a possibility haha.

15 minutes ago, Damis said:

I have a friend who went into astronomical debt...and I have another friend who had a full ride and hefty stipend. On average, it's somewhere in between haha.

HKS doesn't come close to matching WWS in regards to scholarships, someone from the school actually said that on these forums a while back actually, but I do know they make a concerted effort to get as much merit aid out the door as possible. It will be interesting to see what the change in FA processing will do in regards to institutional aid offered. I've never heard of anyone negotiating with Harvard around FA before, but that may now be a possibility haha.

if i'm lucky enough to be admitted, i don't expect much aid from HKS. i want to go there more than anything, but now that i have $60k in funding to another great school and close to a decade of work experience, i'm going to have to think long and hard about whether the name is worth it. since I live in Boston, HKS at sticker price is still comparable to an out-of-state school with aid (though the one that offered me aid is also in MA). 

5 minutes ago, pumpkinturbo said:

if i'm lucky enough to be admitted, i don't expect much aid from HKS. i want to go there more than anything, but now that i have $60k in funding to another great school and close to a decade of work experience, i'm going to have to think long and hard about whether the name is worth it. since I live in Boston, HKS at sticker price is still comparable to an out-of-state school with aid (though the one that offered me aid is also in MA). 

What a position to be in! Congrats on that big amount! I understand your situation well! It's hard to envision myself there right now, let alone to think about whether or not I'd have to invest so much money in order to get the education. At this point in my career, I would be more than fine without the name, but I know how much more impactful I would be with the institution's name behind me. Best of luuuuuck!

6 minutes ago, Damis said:

What a position to be in! Congrats on that big amount! I understand your situation well! It's hard to envision myself there right now, let alone to think about whether or not I'd have to invest so much money in order to get the education. At this point in my career, I would be more than fine without the name, but I know how much more impactful I would be with the institution's name behind me. Best of luuuuuck!

thank you! fingers crossed for you and everyone here! 

another thing that's making me want HKS even more is their newly rebuilt campus. it's gorgeous. :wub:

33 minutes ago, Damis said:

Hah, I had a stress dream the day before Wagner came out; I had to complete fear factor esque challenges in a limited time or I wouldn’t get to see whether I’d been admitted.

I had a dream that the scholarship committee made me watch 3 short indie films and then asked me condescending questions about my take on them. Then they went into a room to read my high school SAT essay and poetry (???) and then came out and told me I was a cliche and couldn’t write. I got snarky with them so they rejected me :/ 

Glad im not the only one having stress dreams haha

20 minutes ago, bumblybee said:

Hah, I had a stress dream the day before Wagner came out; I had to complete fear factor esque challenges in a limited time or I wouldn’t get to see whether I’d been admitted.

11 minutes ago, gelatinskeleton said:

I had a dream that the scholarship committee made me watch 3 short indie films and then asked me condescending questions about my take on them. Then they went into a room to read my high school SAT essay and poetry (???) and then came out and told me I was a cliche and couldn’t write. I got snarky with them so they rejected me :/ 

Glad im not the only one having stress dreams haha

Oh my goodness these are hilarious. Hopefully we're all laughing later at ourselves right now later on! :D

Edited by Damis

4 hours ago, econ14 said:

Me too. Where did you read it?

It's gone now (maybe due to admissions reading this forum...) but before you could go to 2017-18 Drop Down => View Your Decision. It was more or less the same admission letter but with some updated links & info.

35 minutes ago, brown queer said:

I have a question: Are deferred students eligible to apply for fellowships in the academic year of admission?

Don't think you can defer financial aid; they told me to reapply the year I will be attending HKS.

6 minutes ago, kai123 said:

Hi, nice to see your posts. Do you need to worry about the yield rate? Once the school permit your deferral, does it mean you are sure to get into the class this year for sure? Many thanks  for your experience!

Assuming your deferral request is granted, you pay the deposit to secure your spot for following year. I think HKS is more receptive of deferrals for established dual degree programs; all I had to do was upload my MBA admissions letter.

1 hour ago, Nonprofitguy said:

It's gone now (maybe due to admissions reading this forum...) but before you could go to 2017-18 Drop Down => View Your Decision. It was more or less the same admission letter but with some updated links & info.

Don't think you can defer financial aid; they told me to reapply the year I will be attending HKS.

Wow, hadn't noticed. Thanks. I guess we'll find out later then... we've waited for an extra year, a couple of days should be a piece of cake :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, econ14 said:

Wow, hadn't noticed. Thanks. I guess we'll find out later then... we've waited for an extra year, a couple of days should be a piece of cake :rolleyes:

You didn't miss much. Just tidbits of info likewhen to expect financial aid, the new Connect to HKS student form, etc.

I do wish they switch up the New Admit portal - that was a headache to navigate...

Edited by Nonprofitguy

5 hours ago, Nonprofitguy said:

No, I meant if you defer admission for, say, 2017-18, can you apply for the CPL & other fellowships in the 2018-19 financial aid cycle when you attend? Assuming you may or may not have received fellowships at the time of admittance. 

10 minutes ago, brown queer said:

No, I meant if you defer admission for, say, 2017-18, can you apply for the CPL & other fellowships in the 2018-19 financial aid cycle when you attend? Assuming you may or may not have received fellowships at the time of admittance. 

Yes one can.

10 hours ago, Damis said:

Hi guys, 

New here. Just logged in yesterday to help with the last stretch. 

Damis, which fellowship was this? I've applied for CPL as well, but haven't heard back. Wondering if CPL is done.