Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

Thank you @maengret! :)

I'm trying my very best to NOT check the portal or e-mail every five minutes. 

I miss the days when notifications were sent via mail - postal service! I think we were all probably a lot let anxious. Who agrees? 

Since I live abroad every week that goes by places me on a tighter deadline with my move, which I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat! :)

So this is my application status: Your file has been forwarded to the department for an admission recommendation. It has been like this for a couple of months now. I don't know if this is good or bad because I turned in the application two weeks before the deadline and within 5 days, the application status changed from "complete" to "University evaluating file for preliminary eligibility" to what I have written above. Should I be excited or nervous?

On 1/30/2018 at 6:33 AM, WhyTry said:

Everyday I check my mail, way beyond 5pm in their respective time, because you know, maybe they work late. It's so crushing as another day passes, constantly questioning your self worth(don't!). but today, nearly 8pm on their time, I got an acceptance. Relief! It feels good, hope you all get the same feeling soon.

Omg. I've been doing that too!

Congrats on the acceptance btw! :)

Rather confused here. I received an e-mail from the department where I applied stating that I have been recommended for admission and my PhD application has been forwarded for review by the graduate school. It also stated that I will be receiving an offer letter along with funding details. Does that mean I have been offered admission?

On the same day, on the results webpage here I saw someone posting about their acceptance for the same program. I received the e-mail 2 days ago and I still haven't received the offer letter or funding details. I am really freaked out! Not sure what is going on here. I am happy that it may be my first ever acceptance but at the same time I am also very confused.

Anyone having similar experiences?

23 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

I wonder if the graduate school can see the timestamps from the daily checks I do to the application page. 

They're likely laughing, thinking the poor person doesn't realize we aren't going to get back to her for another month yet. 

Hello everyone, I want to know is it normal or frequent to receive rejection letter after a positive POI interview? 

I just finished the POI interview in the last week, and he just asked me generic questions as "Why you think this program best suits you...?". We relaxedly chat for a while and at the end of our discussion, he said that he will highly recommend me to the committee at the faculty meeting. Now I am nervously waiting for the result come out, and even cannot eat well or sleep well. Here I want to know how frequently happened to receive the rejection letter after a not bad POI interview? (It is a Ph.D. program.)

40 minutes ago, dreamerr33 said:

Rather confused here. I received an e-mail from the department where I applied stating that I have been recommended for admission and my PhD application has been forwarded for review by the graduate school. It also stated that I will be receiving an offer letter along with funding details. Does that mean I have been offered admission?

On the same day, on the results webpage here I saw someone posting about their acceptance for the same program. I received the e-mail 2 days ago and I still haven't received the offer letter or funding details. I am really freaked out! Not sure what is going on here. I am happy that it may be my first ever acceptance but at the same time I am also very confused.

It is very likely that you will be officially accepted pending you meet university requirements (which the department should know about).  The graduate school or possibly the dean has to approve your application,  but if your GPA,  GRE, and TOEFL (if applicable)  meet requirements you should be fine.  So far my timelines on official letters have been about a week (plus or minus 3 business days) until it becomes completely official.  The person who posted likely is in a similar boat or also had to wait for things to become official. 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:04 AM, samman1994 said:

I had the same thing happen to me too. They reached out to tell me they were interested in my research experience, but that they had not made the decision to accept me yet. I don't know if it means anything, but i have been invited to interview at that school

I received an invitation to interview the following day!

On 2/8/2018 at 8:16 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

It is very likely that you will be officially accepted pending you meet university requirements (which the department should know about).  The graduate school or possibly the dean has to approve your application,  but if your GPA,  GRE, and TOEFL (if applicable)  meet requirements you should be fine.  So far my timelines on official letters have been about a week (plus or minus 3 business days) until it becomes completely official.  The person who posted likely is in a similar boat or also had to wait for things to become official. 

Hey,

Thanks for your response :) It is a relief to know that.

Fingers crossed.

I was also wondering if the offer letter and funding details are sent by e-mail or postal mail?

Edited by dreamerr33

On 2/8/2018 at 2:03 PM, dreamerr33 said:

I also received a similar email from my POI on Thursday.

Hi Everyone,

Please, anyone heard update from Kansas State University, University of Rochester and Florida International University PhD Biology program.

A bit nervous waiting for decisions from these schools.

Thank you.

Stanford EE PhD probably will give out results starting tomorrow. I'm really nervous. Unfortunately, I didn't get an interview but that could have been because I had a recommendation letter from an alumni. So it's still possible I think that I have a shot. My gre was 158/162/4.5     V/Q/W  low quantitative :(  ... please feel free to comment on what you think of this situation. 

On 06.02.2018 at 6:57 PM, nesasp said:

Thank you @maengret! :)

I'm trying my very best to NOT check the portal or e-mail every five minutes. 

I miss the days when notifications were sent via mail - postal service! I think we were all probably a lot let anxious. Who agrees? 

Since I live abroad every week that goes by places me on a tighter deadline with my move, which I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat! :)

100% yes 

I'm already planning my summer and potential 3-4 weeks to move and get settled in while seeing friends and family before life starts back up again and it's another layer of worrying on top of hearing back from applications (though I'd much prefer the stress of having to move across country than the disappointment from getting rejected by every school)

On 2/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, ProfONE said:

Hi Everyone,

Please, anyone heard update from Kansas State University, University of Rochester and Florida International University PhD Biology program.

A bit nervous waiting for decisions from these schools.

Thank you.

I don’t know if this helps, but I applied to Kansas State’s history PhD program and I received an acceptance email last Friday. So, decisions are slowly going out which is good.