verosanchez

1 hour ago, ML878 said:

Yep, assistantships! Those seem so hard to nail down but if you successfully get one, you’ll be pretty much set. And I’ve also been looking at scholarships and you’re right, the criteria usually are so narrow or the deadlines have passed....unfortunately if you’re applying to any now, it’ll likely be for the next academic year (as far as I can tell). But maybe it’s a matter of taking on a lot of loans your first year and then finding more external aid for your 2nd. And perhaps there are scholarships available for current students to apply to? The infosession might tell you more. 

I wish you the best with all of this too. It is definitely not an easy decision to make.

Yep, this is pretty much my plan... take the loans this year and just try to maximize aid for next year. It isn’t but as others have pointed out, it’s my only real option for next year. Do you have any inkling where you’ll be going yet or are you still waiting to hear back from a lot of places?

16 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Yeah no problem. I applied on 1/09 and heard back 1/23. 

Status BFA in photography 3.4 accumulative gpa for that  

Then went back to community college to get my education hours completed for what we call in Texas an LCDCI  ( listened chemical dependency counselor intern)  4.0 for all this education 

have been working in an inpatient substance abuse treatment facility for the past 2 years to complete my requirements for liscensure  

volunteer at crisis shelter for women and children 6 hours a week  

Good luck  

thanks for the info! congrats again!

13 hours ago, nbm1031 said:

Thank you! I applied on 1/07 and received a decision on 1/23.

Cumulative GPA is a 2.9 from my previous major/social work GPA is a 4.0.

I have done a lot of volunteer work in the field (one example: I am a mentor for children in the foster care system) and I am currently interning at an alternative high school.

thanks for the information! have you made a decision yet?

9 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Yep, this is pretty much my plan... take the loans this year and just try to maximize aid for next year. It isn’t but as others have pointed out, it’s my only real option for next year. Do you have any inkling where you’ll be going yet or are you still waiting to hear back from a lot of places?

I’m still waiting! I haven’t heard back from the local MSW program I applied to but if I get in, it’ll be hard to turn down because it’s way cheaper than the other programs I’m considering. 

3 hours ago, ML878 said:

I’m still waiting! I haven’t heard back from the local MSW program I applied to but if I get in, it’ll be hard to turn down because it’s way cheaper than the other programs I’m considering. 

Gotcha, well, good luck!

On 1/30/2019 at 12:24 AM, MSW1313 said:

hi! sorry, i know i'm a little late to post on here - i just found this website!

i am a bunch of nerves applying to MSW graduate programs.. i'm the first in my family to attend college so i've had absolutely no guidance!!

i applied early acceptance deadlines to Columbia University, Widener University, and Rhode Island College. after visiting manhattan this weekend i felt so excited about the city i decided to apply and just submitted tonight applications to NYU and Fordham. Has anyone else applied to these schools and heard back yet?

I applied to NYU second week of January & haven't heard back yet

13 hours ago, MSW1313 said:

thanks for the information! have you made a decision yet?

Fordham only gave me 30 business days to render a decision. I’m hoping I hear from NYU before then. I’ve sent the admissions office an email asking for an extension but I haven’t received a reply. 

1 hour ago, ddd777 said:

Same! been debating on whether I should call and inquire about the status of my application or if I should just wait.

I'm thinking most schools will get back to us before the end of February. I think NYU said on their website we will get a decision on or before Feb 22nd

New to the forums- just got accepted to NYU this morning. I applied on Jan 11 (end of their "first round" of applications). Hope this helps people!

I want to go to NYU or Fordham and I am now accepted to both, but the financial aid they each gave me makes their tuitions equal! They are both still expensive and moving to NYC is not cheap. Has anyone here ever heard of or appealed for more money from a university? I read online that it can be done, just wondering if anyone has done this for MSW!

On 1/29/2019 at 5:59 AM, suhlast said:

Yes! I just came on here to see if anyone else had heard yet..

Was really hoping they wouldn't wait until the deadline.

It's already Feb 1 here... Not yet heard from them. Well, one silly question: have they waived the application fee for you?

2 hours ago, PurpleHippo321 said:

New to the forums- just got accepted to NYU this morning. I applied on Jan 11 (end of their "first round" of applications). Hope this helps people!

I want to go to NYU or Fordham and I am now accepted to both, but the financial aid they each gave me makes their tuitions equal! They are both still expensive and moving to NYC is not cheap. Has anyone here ever heard of or appealed for more money from a university? I read online that it can be done, just wondering if anyone has done this for MSW!

Big Congrats!

53 minutes ago, calmchili said:

It's already Feb 1 here... Not yet heard from them. Well, one silly question: have they waived the application fee for you?

I'm still waiting to hear from Denver too. I had to call them to have the application fee waived and they refunded the application fee immediately. They were super helpful! 

Edited by msw1849

1 hour ago, msw1849 said:

I'm still waiting to hear from Denver too. I had to call them to have the application fee waived and they refunded the application fee immediately. They were super helpful! 

I actually just realized that I would have to contact them when I was submitting the application. No idea if they would still refund the application fee.

1 hour ago, msw1849 said:

Would you also notify us when you hear from them? I sent an inquiry email to the dean few hours ago.

11 hours ago, calmchili said:

It's Feb 1, but it's only 8am in Denver so I don't expect to hear until later in the day. 

Yes, I applied before Dec and the fee was waived. 

16 hours ago, PurpleHippo321 said:

Congrats!! Which program did you apply to?

Hello! I just applied to Case last night. I'm incredibly nervous about the debt and going back to school. I'm 38- so definitely not the traditional student. I have my BSW (low GPA), 15 plus years of social work experience, incredible references, and international work. I am confident in my experience. I am just anxious about my GPA from a lifetime ago when I wasn't focused and HOW WILL I AFFORD THIS. 

Also, I need to apply to a safety school. Any recommendations on a small safety school (I despise extremely large schools)? 

42 minutes ago, msw1849 said:

I just got my acceptance letter from Denver! They didn’t send me an email - I had to check my portal. 

I also just got my acceptance and scholarship award from Denver! They sent an email that my portal had been updated.