verosanchez

On 1/28/2019 at 5:03 PM, suhlast said:

Did you get your financial offer from Penn yet? I got mine this week and wasn't super impressed.

Hi! I just received my financial offer and while it is hefty, Penn still ends up being very expensive overall compared to a state school

hi! sorry, i know i'm a little late to post on here - i just found this website!

i am a bunch of nerves applying to MSW graduate programs.. i'm the first in my family to attend college so i've had absolutely no guidance!!

i applied early acceptance deadlines to Columbia University, Widener University, and Rhode Island College. after visiting manhattan this weekend i felt so excited about the city i decided to apply and just submitted tonight applications to NYU and Fordham. Has anyone else applied to these schools and heard back yet?

On 1/24/2019 at 9:40 AM, nbm1031 said:

I was accepted into Fordham University’s Advanced Standing program! My application was complete on Jan. 7 - heard back within 16 days. 

My stats aren’t so great, so if anyone is worried just stay hopeful!! Still waiting to hear back from NYU. 

congratulations!! i just submitted an application tonight to Fordham. How long did it take you to hear back, and if you dont mind sharing stats??

On 1/23/2019 at 2:20 PM, Capturedvitality said:

I was accepted into NYU full time Washington square program with a 15,000$ yearly accidemic scholarship!!

congratulations!!! i just submitted my application tonight. how long did it take you to hear back / if you dont mind sharing stats??

5 hours ago, MSW401 said:

hi! sorry, i know i'm a little late to post on here - i just found this website!

i am a bunch of nerves applying to MSW graduate programs.. i'm the first in my family to attend college so i've had absolutely no guidance!!

i applied early acceptance deadlines to Columbia University, Widener University, and Rhode Island College. after visiting manhattan this weekend i felt so excited about the city i decided to apply and just submitted tonight applications to NYU and Fordham. Has anyone else applied to these schools and heard back yet?

You aren't late - I didn't find this website until February of last year and it was still immensely helpful! Welcome!

I think I've decided to commit to Pitt. I've done extensive research on online programs in the last week or so (as in, I literally looked up the tuition per credit hour of every accredited online MSW program in the US), and the cheapest programs (Boise State and UCF) would only be about $7,000 less in tuition with my scholarship. This isn't enough for me to sacrifice the benefits of an on-campus program, such as in-person class discussions, field placement options, and networking opportunities. I also don't think I can handle the stress of applying to more programs - tweaking my essay, asking for more recommendations, etc. I feel exhausted just thinking about it. Idk. Part of me is still so scared of the debt. I understand that I don't have to attend grad school right now if it doesn't feel right, but why wait if I know this is what I want to do? Although I'm also scared that there's no real way I can know that since I have no experience. I'm just scared all around, guys.

7 hours ago, MSW401 said:

congratulations!!! i just submitted my application tonight. how long did it take you to hear back / if you dont mind sharing stats??

Yeah no problem. I applied on 1/09 and heard back 1/23. 

Status BFA in photography 3.4 accumulative gpa for that  

Then went back to community college to get my education hours completed for what we call in Texas an LCDCI  ( listened chemical dependency counselor intern)  4.0 for all this education 

have been working in an inpatient substance abuse treatment facility for the past 2 years to complete my requirements for liscensure  

volunteer at crisis shelter for women and children 6 hours a week  

Good luck  

Edited by Capturedvitality
B

2 hours ago, doctormelody said:

I think I've decided to commit to Pitt. I've done extensive research on online programs in the last week or so (as in, I literally looked up the tuition per credit hour of every accredited online MSW program in the US), and the cheapest programs (Boise State and UCF) would only be about $7,000 less in tuition with my scholarship. This isn't enough for me to sacrifice the benefits of an on-campus program, such as in-person class discussions, field placement options, and networking opportunities. I also don't think I can handle the stress of applying to more programs - tweaking my essay, asking for more recommendations, etc. I feel exhausted just thinking about it. Idk. Part of me is still so scared of the debt. I understand that I don't have to attend grad school right now if it doesn't feel right, but why wait if I know this is what I want to do? Although I'm also scared that there's no real way I can know that since I have no experience. I'm just scared all around, guys.

GIRL .... don’t think you commit . Commit! Follow your heart and the rest will fall into place. You applied to one school. You were accepted that seems like the path to follow. Don’t let FEAR ( false evidence appearing real) hold you down. 

1 minute ago, Capturedvitality said:

GIRL .... don’t think you commit . Commit! Follow your heart and the rest will fall into place. You applied to one school. You were accepted that seems like the path to follow. Don’t let FEAR ( false evidence appearing real) hold you down. 

Thank you, you're very kind. Also liked the FEAR acronym, that made me smile.

Hey Everyone,

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill and am still waiting to hear back a decision as well. 

I got a B.A in Linguistics at UF, taught English in France for a year, and have been volunteering in social work for the past year at a DV shelter and a Child Advocacy Center.

GPA 3.74, No GRE.

Would love to know when people start getting their decisions!

9 hours ago, MSW401 said:

congratulations!! i just submitted an application tonight to Fordham. How long did it take you to hear back, and if you dont mind sharing stats??

Thank you! I applied on 1/07 and received a decision on 1/23.

Cumulative GPA is a 2.9 from my previous major/social work GPA is a 4.0.

I have done a lot of volunteer work in the field (one example: I am a mentor for children in the foster care system) and I am currently interning at an alternative high school.

2 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Thank you, you're very kind. Also liked the FEAR acronym, that made me smile.

Never heard of that acronym either, but love it!!

Congrats on making your final decision to go to Pitt. The debt is definitely a real concern and very scary. I’m sure you’ve done your research already, but now that you know you’ll be going there, one way to alleviate your financial concerns is seeing if there are external scholarships you can apply for (which yes, will be stressful to do, but at least you’ll feel like you’re making some progress in this area of concern!) or see if any GSSA positions are offered or part time jobs on campus, etc. This is a big investment into your future, but hopefully it will be well worth it. 

1 hour ago, ML878 said:

Never heard of that acronym either, but love it!!

Congrats on making your final decision to go to Pitt. The debt is definitely a real concern and very scary. I’m sure you’ve done your research already, but now that you know you’ll be going there, one way to alleviate your financial concerns is seeing if there are external scholarships you can apply for (which yes, will be stressful to do, but at least you’ll feel like you’re making some progress in this area of concern!) or see if any GSSA positions are offered or part time jobs on campus, etc. This is a big investment into your future, but hopefully it will be well worth it. 

Yeah, I tried to look into scholarships, but the ones I could find were incredibly specific and I just didn't meet the criteria. I should probably do more digging, though. Is GSSA an assistantship-type thing? I'm not familiar with the acronym but I definitely plan to ask about assistantships/work study opportunities at the info session I'm attending in February. Thanks for the well wishes and for tolerating my whining! I wish you all the best as well.

3 hours ago, Shadylane427 said:

Hey Everyone,

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill and am still waiting to hear back a decision as well. 

I got a B.A in Linguistics at UF, taught English in France for a year, and have been volunteering in social work for the past year at a DV shelter and a Child Advocacy Center.

GPA 3.74, No GRE.

Would love to know when people start getting their decisions!

Did you apply advanced standing?

19 hours ago, mswguy said:

I just got admitted to USC this afternoon, they want my decision by February 12th. They're part of the April 15th resolution so I'll look into that too, that's a quick turnaround.

Hi congrats! I also just got my acceptance into USC. Was wondering if you could clarify the April 15th resolution?

February 12th is so soon and I am nervous about the other schools I applied to.

1 hour ago, micaela22 said:

Hi congrats! I also just got my acceptance into USC. Was wondering if you could clarify the April 15th resolution?

February 12th is so soon and I am nervous about the other schools I applied to.

Just talked to my admissions counselor, they will extend the date if you ask. Technically no school can require you to make an admissions decision before April 15th.  So just ask them to extend!

9 minutes ago, mswguy said:

Just talked to my admissions counselor, they will extend the date if you ask. Technically no school can require you to make an admissions decision before April 15th.  So just ask them to extend!

Congrats on your admission! I got into USC as well, do you happen to know when the financial aid information would go out? I figured I would check on here before contacting my admissions counselor. I have my heart set on this program because of their military social work track but it's so expensive that without adequate funding I'll have to say no ?

1 hour ago, mswguy said:

Thanks for clarifying! I also got an extension till March 1st but I am sure other programs will notify me by then.

1 hour ago, BananaSlug4MSW said:

Congrats on your admission! I got into USC as well, do you happen to know when the financial aid information would go out? I figured I would check on here before contacting my admissions counselor. I have my heart set on this program because of their military social work track but it's so expensive that without adequate funding I'll have to say no ?

Thank you and congrats yourself! I'm not exactly sure. I also have a strong interest in the military social work track as well! Hopefully they can aid us with adequate funding.

12 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Yeah no problem. I applied on 1/09 and heard back 1/23. 

Status BFA in photography 3.4 accumulative gpa for that  

Then went back to community college to get my education hours completed for what we call in Texas an LCDCI  ( listened chemical dependency counselor intern)  4.0 for all this education 

have been working in an inpatient substance abuse treatment facility for the past 2 years to complete my requirements for liscensure  

volunteer at crisis shelter for women and children 6 hours a week  

Good luck  

Congrats on your NYU acceptance! I was wondering how you were notified? I completed my app on January 15th and am anxiously waiting to hear back!

8 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, I tried to look into scholarships, but the ones I could find were incredibly specific and I just didn't meet the criteria. I should probably do more digging, though. Is GSSA an assistantship-type thing? I'm not familiar with the acronym but I definitely plan to ask about assistantships/work study opportunities at the info session I'm attending in February. Thanks for the well wishes and for tolerating my whining! I wish you all the best as well.

Yep, assistantships! Those seem so hard to nail down but if you successfully get one, you’ll be pretty much set. And I’ve also been looking at scholarships and you’re right, the criteria usually are so narrow or the deadlines have passed....unfortunately if you’re applying to any now, it’ll likely be for the next academic year (as far as I can tell). But maybe it’s a matter of taking on a lot of loans your first year and then finding more external aid for your 2nd. And perhaps there are scholarships available for current students to apply to? The infosession might tell you more. 

I wish you the best with all of this too. It is definitely not an easy decision to make.