Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Our psychology PhD lord & savior Dr. Mitch Prinstein held a zoom meeting about "Getting Into Psych Grad School During the Time of COVID" and has a lot of helpful tips about all aspects of applications. Link is below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-5DjLRKCHQ&feature=youtu.be

On 10/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, Raz16 said:

Can anyone tell me why Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine Clinical Psychology PhD Program application requests publications to be listed in MLA format? My experience has always been APA. Under "Additional Statements" within the application, it says the following: 

1370795702_ScreenShot2020-10-12at3_27_48PM.thumb.png.56bf9be7d3e25887142452bd84e3a6bb.png

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated, since I have yet to receive a response from the Admissions Assistant. Thanks in advance! 

Does it matter why? Just put it in MLA...

Just now, VeriWolf said:

@BeatriceWillow Hey there! I am applying to 17 this year, but last year I applied to 8. I really think it is all about having POIs that really match your interests. I just so happened to have a lot that were available for me to apply to this year.

Wow! I didn't expect so many, I'm still trying to get a grasp on how competitive the field is. I have a fairly good working relationship with one of the professors I'm hoping to work with in the future. Do you know if that means anything when going through this whole process? 

This whole process is overwhelming! 

Just now, BeatriceWillow said:

Hi everyone! Would love to know on average how many schools everyone is applying to. This is my first round applying for Clinical PhD programs and it is a bit intimidating! 

I’m applying to 18. Similar to what @VeriWolf said, there are so many POIs whose research align with my goals and interests. It is a tedious process, but this forum makes it less intimidating =] 

@BeatriceWillow I think it can certainly be helpful to have a good relationship with one of the POIs you are applying to because it is all about the POI fitting with your interests. It is definitely overwhelming, but pacing yourself and working towards those deadlines can help! Don't forget to take breaks :)

11 hours ago, BeatriceWillow said:

Wow! I didn't expect so many, I'm still trying to get a grasp on how competitive the field is. I have a fairly good working relationship with one of the professors I'm hoping to work with in the future. Do you know if that means anything when going through this whole process? 

This whole process is overwhelming! 

I've applied before and am applying again and usually have around 15 that fit pretty well with my interests, and then that narrows down to around 10 once I learn what PIs are actually accepting students that cycle. In my experience the best way to gauge how competitive each program is is by looking at their provided admissions data from recent cohorts to see how many applicants they usually have, as well as the average GRE/GPA of their admitted students. Some schools I like have closer to 100-200 applicants and lower score averages, and some have closer to 700 applicants with higher score averages. I think having a working relationship with one of the professors would be an advantage because they will already know the quality of your work, know how well you get along with others, and you'd clearly have relevant experiences for their lab.

image.png.463869cb47441107d6c26f8c15fcd770.png

As a heads up to anyone planning to apply to the University of Minnesota's Clinical Science and Psychopathology Research (CSPR) program. You cannot submit your application due to the above. Don't make my mistake and miss this banner. Not sure if they will end up allowing any applications to be submitted. Information can be found here: https://cla.umn.edu/psychology/graduate/how-apply

On 10/15/2020 at 9:03 AM, BeatriceWillow said:

Hi everyone! Would love to know on average how many schools everyone is applying to. This is my first round applying for Clinical PhD programs and it is a bit intimidating! 

applying to 5 - to save costs and also make sure that im a decent fit wth them. 

Does having an existing connection to one of the departments you're applying to (e.g. having a working relationship with a non-POI faculty member) make much of a difference in terms of how you app is viewed? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

2 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Does having an existing connection to one of the departments you're applying to (e.g. having a working relationship with a non-POI faculty member) make much of a difference in terms of how you app is viewed? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

It really just kind of depends on your strength as an applicant. They can vouch for you, but if your POI isn’t interested or there’s some other barrier (GPA/ GRE) there’s probably not much they can do. Though, I’m sure it depends on a lot of other factors specific to the department!

I’m happy to share my experience with this particular situation if you want to DM me :)

To anyone with experience reapplying to a program - should you address in your personal statement the fact that this is your second time applying? I was thinking this would make sense, so that I could comment on what I learned through attending that program's interview last year.

21 hours ago, teenygreeny said:

To anyone with experience reapplying to a program - should you address in your personal statement the fact that this is your second time applying? I was thinking this would make sense, so that I could comment on what I learned through attending that program's interview last year.

I wouldn’t address it! I reapplied to multiple programs last cycle (though I had not interviewed the first time) and I think I actually ended up with interviews at all of them the second time around and offers from two. If you’re applying to the same POI, they probably remember you, but I would just highlight new experiences/ skills you’ve gained since the last app cycle rather than mentioning anything about the interview process. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:19 AM, teenygreeny said:

Just to offer another perspective. I had one program that I am reapplying to that I had an interview at last year and I did decide to mention it since my experience with the interview was such a positive experience. Basically, it was a small mention in my personal statement that I felt a good fit with the program, but I thought it was important to add. Other schools I reapplied to but hadn't had an interview I did not mention it. Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, VeriWolf said:

Just to offer another perspective. I had one program that I am reapplying to that I had an interview at last year and I did decide to mention it since my experience with the interview was such a positive experience. Basically, it was a small mention in my personal statement that I felt a good fit with the program, but I thought it was important to add. Other schools I reapplied to but hadn't had an interview I did not mention it. Hope this helps!

That actually may be the only reason I’d mention it! You went to the interview weekend last time and had a great experience and felt the fit was strong, etc. I think this is a good point!

How does everyone feel about submitting GRE scores to programs that don't require it BUT give the option? My scores aren't great at all, so I am trying to decide if I should get my scores up and submit them or not even bother.

I am talking specifically about the programs that have waived it, BUT also mention that you can submit it if you like, some even recommend it, despite it not being a requirement, so I am a bit worried it will be biased there, does that make sense? I wish they would just say to NOT submit at all instead.

Any input?

Just now, PyschMama said:

How does everyone feel about submitting GRE scores to programs that don't require it BUT give the option? My scores aren't great at all, so I am trying to decide if I should get my scores up and submit them or not even bother.

I am talking specifically about the programs that have waived it, BUT also mention that you can submit it if you like, some even recommend it, despite it not being a requirement, so I am a bit worried it will be biased there, does that make sense? I wish they would just say to NOT submit at all instead.

Any input?

If you don't believe your scores are competitive, I don't think you should submit them. 

On 10/21/2020 at 12:41 PM, PyschMama said:

Any input?

To second what was already said, I spoke to my PI and advisor about this and they both said that unless your score is at or significantly above the school's average then don't send it. Clinical programs (as you know) are very competitive and receive a large number of applications, so they will try to look for any reason not at accept you and if your GRE is the weakest part of your application than it could be the breaking factor. This is just the advice I was given though!

Hey everyone!

I was super active here a few years ago when I went through PhD/PsyD recruiting my first time around. I had a few acceptances but decided to decline all and work in the field as a masters level therapist to gain some experience and see if I really wanted to do psychology long term. I ended up being premed for 2 years hahaha. And then decided that med school was not for me. I'm applying again exclusively for cheap PsyD schools in-state.

My school list:

• University of Houston Clear Lake - PsyD Clinical/School Psychology
  • Our Lady of the Lake University - PsyD Counseling Psychology

Nice and easy :) Will keep y'all updated!

I am definitely sending in my GRE scores. I have a 168 Verbal and a 162 Quant (and a 5.5 AW but who looks at that) soooooo xD

Edited by dancedementia

I've narrowed my list to 6: Hofstra, Fordham, Yale, University of Maryland, Binghamton, and UNC Chapel Hill. Scary and also horrifying! I've emailed PI's at all of these and gotten at least some kind of affirmation that a cohort will be accepted (though some PIs have been saying they will be accepting "a" student, which....... yikes!) I'll update y'all on the process! I'm done with around half of the apps now.

11 hours ago, expensiveswimmer said:

I've narrowed my list to 6: Hofstra, Fordham, Yale, University of Maryland, Binghamton, and UNC Chapel Hill. Scary and also horrifying! I've emailed PI's at all of these and gotten at least some kind of affirmation that a cohort will be accepted (though some PIs have been saying they will be accepting "a" student, which....... yikes!) I'll update y'all on the process! I'm done with around half of the apps now.

I'd say it's much more common for advisors to accept only one student, unless they are a new faculty member or have a ton of funding.