2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

3 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Does anyone know when we will typically hear back from schools? Specifically from York, OISE, UTSC, Guelph, Waterloo and McMaster? I have an interview next week with a prof over Zoom from Mac but I'm not even sure if she is accepting students, as her name was taken off the list of profs who are accepting. Thoughts??

OISE profs seem to contact applicants for interviews in late Jan - early Feb. Official offers go out via the SGS portal email in the first week of March. 

If your prof is still interviewing applicants, she likely still has an opening for this year (or the maybe the next). I don't think she would hold interview just for the fun of it :)  Hope it works out!!

6 minutes ago, StClPsy said:

For anyone who applied to McMaster, is it normal for the application on Student Center to say Pending? And all the document requirements to say 'Required' still?

2018026711_ScreenShot2020-12-10at3_05_01PM.png.ee712dbd42c65b8140446d05c1ef903a.png

I think so! Mine says pending as well! I assume it says that until it is updated with the results. Regarding the 'Required' status, if I click on view requirements it says my reference assessments are complete but statement of interest and official transcript (which I believe they do not need until you get an offer - an unofficial transcript is fine) are labeled 'required'. I also think this is fine because the status legend mentions that these statuses remain this way until they are manually updated by the graduate program.

5 minutes ago, janelove said:

I think so! Mine says pending as well! I assume it says that until it is updated with the results. Regarding the 'Required' status, if I click on view requirements it says my reference assessments are complete but statement of interest and official transcript (which I believe they do not need until you get an offer - an unofficial transcript is fine) are labeled 'required'. I also think this is fine because the status legend mentions that these statuses remain this way until they are manually updated by the graduate program.

Exact same with my app too!

On 12/3/2020 at 9:11 PM, Wanderingmind said:

For those planning on re-applying next year if you dont get in this year, any thoughts on how you may spend the year?

Going back to the place I did a 12-month co-op at and working as a testing assistant. I found a job posting for it on LinkedIn and they make BANK - 65k starting!!! I was tempted to honestly just take a year off and do that anyways to save some money. 

14 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Anyone's application for UBC say "in progress" when they click "manage"? Kinda wondering why it says that when I click "manage", but on the homepage of the application website it says "submitted"

Mine says that as well! I think in progress means like in review?

Applying to SFU, Mac, Windsor, UBCO, UBC, UVIC! Fingers crossed everyone.

GPA: 3.94,/4.00 Good LOR's, 3 RA positions, 2 clinical practicums, GRE: 166V, 164Q, NO publications, 2 presentations upcoming. 

Status: extremely worried that I won't get in anywhere, especially since I don't have any pubs :(

Edited by shelovesyouleon

hey! I was wondering if anyone who applied to York had trouble uploading their supporting documents?
Every time I try to upload my transcript or CV i get "C:\fakepath (document name)" and when I click preview it leads me to the "passport york" webpage. Any advice would be appreciated. thank you! 

Just now, sg99 said:

hey! I was wondering if anyone who applied to York had trouble uploading their supporting documents?
Every time I try to upload my transcript or CV i get "C:\fakepath (document name)" and when I click preview it leads me to the "passport york" webpage. Any advice would be appreciated. thank you! 

Hi!

That happened to me as well. If you sign in to your passport york, it just lets you see the preview of your document. Otherwise, rather than clicking preview, you can select submit underneath the preview button.

Just now, PsychGirl2 said:

Hi!

That happened to me as well. If you sign in to your passport york, it just lets you see the preview of your document. Otherwise, rather than clicking preview, you can select submit underneath the preview button.

Thanks so much for the reply! So "fakepath" does not indicate that there is an error with the document? 

Just now, sg99 said:

Thanks so much for the reply! So "fakepath" does not indicate that there is an error with the document? 

Nope. As long as you click submit, you're all good. To double check, go to your supporting documents page and it will show you that the document has been received :) 

8 hours ago, shelovesyouleon said:

Applying to SFU, Mac, Windsor, UBCO, UBC, UVIC! Fingers crossed everyone.

GPA: 3.94,/4.00 Good LOR's, 3 RA positions, 2 clinical practicums, GRE: 166V, 164Q, NO publications, 2 presentations upcoming. 

Status: extremely worried that I won't get in anywhere, especially since I don't have any pubs :(

I haven't found a firm threshold for what makes an applicant strong or weak so I wouldn't count yourself out without a publication. Having 2 clinical practicums is something a lot of applicants do not have, and you do have 2 presentations coming up! So chin up, you are amazing and need to remember that! In my opinion, I think you have a great shot! :)

12 hours ago, +ve regard said:

OISE profs seem to contact applicants for interviews in late Jan - early Feb. Official offers go out via the SGS portal email in the first week of March. 

If your prof is still interviewing applicants, she likely still has an opening for this year (or the maybe the next). I don't think she would hold interview just for the fun of it :)  Hope it works out!!

Just to add my depressing two cents here as an accepted clinical psychology student who has been through a few interviews. 

There are students who get interviewed at schools for POIs who are not accepting students. It's possible faculty just think they are a strong student and may suggest another supervisor for you. Faculty are also ranked as to how likely they are to get a student, so many students interview for faculty who say they are "Accepting students" but realistically they are very unlikely to get students. That's why being strategic about who you apply to is very important. 

Also out of curiosity can I ask what the allure is for everyone with Mac? It's a newer program, largely just affiliated with one (very good) but nonetheless mainly one hospital network in Hamilton, in a city that's not super exciting. No offense to Mac, I'm just surprised to see almost as many people applying to it as say, Ryerson for example. I did interview there so I have some knowledge of the program - it just wouldn't be my first choice, but that's just personal preference :). 

5 hours ago, Chebben said:

Also out of curiosity can I ask what the allure is for everyone with Mac? It's a newer program, largely just affiliated with one (very good) but nonetheless mainly one hospital network in Hamilton, in a city that's not super exciting. No offense to Mac, I'm just surprised to see almost as many people applying to it as say, Ryerson for example. I did interview there so I have some knowledge of the program - it just wouldn't be my first choice, but that's just personal preference :). 

Interesting....I considered Mac last year and it being newer sort-of-felt like it might be better somehow. I was imagining that I would have more freedom with my focus of research or maybe easier to get in....don't remember but those sorts of thoughts crossed my mind which now do not make sense. I have always been interested in Ryerson but I just could not seem to see my fit with any faculty except one who for 2 years consecutively was NOT taking students

8 hours ago, CateFace said:

I haven't found a firm threshold for what makes an applicant strong or weak so I wouldn't count yourself out without a publication. Having 2 clinical practicums is something a lot of applicants do not have, and you do have 2 presentations coming up! So chin up, you are amazing and need to remember that! In my opinion, I think you have a great shot! :)

Very true...we need to tap into that confidence we all had when we were completing the applications. Its almost like when we clicked the submit button to send the applications our confidence slowly starts fading....after all those weeks/months of putting the application together- reflecting on why you want this so much....and now all you can do is wait!