2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Just now, psych51038 said:

So do you think it would be pretty much impossible to get in straight out of undergrad? I don't know many undergrads with all of those types of experiences or even any really 

It's definitely rare. Most of the current grad students I've spoken to applied 2-3 times before being accepted. For example, a panel I was recently on about applying to grad school, only 2/5 students got in their first cycle/right after undergrad. 

I wouldn't say its impossible, but def rare. Again, depends on your experiences/research output etc etc :) 

Just now, Mickey26 said:

It's definitely rare. Most of the current grad students I've spoken to applied 2-3 times before being accepted. For example, a panel I was recently on about applying to grad school, only 2/5 students got in their first cycle/right after undergrad. 

I wouldn't say its impossible, but def rare. Again, depends on your experiences/research output etc etc :) 

I would second this. I applied straight out of undergrad on my first go and while I did get interviews, I was up against applicants who had their MAs and/or had 3+ years of clinical research coordinator experience at prestigious labs... there's just no comparison. 

I will add, though, that I was accepted with pubs under review and a book chapter in press but nothing in print! I just published my first article in my first semester of grad school, but it was a project from 2018 that I had been working on consistently until now. So it is doable to get accepted with no pubs, as long as you can demonstrate significant research experience and productivity (e.g., pubs under review, multiple conference presentations).

4 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

So do you think it would be pretty much impossible to get in straight out of undergrad? I don't know many undergrads with all of those types of experiences or even any really 

It definitely depends! It's not unheard of for someone to get in straight out of undergrad. At the end of the day, it's important that students do have those experiences, but I've met quite a few undergrads that lucked out at their undergrad institution and have those key experiences (like conferences, research projects, workshops/presentations, mentored reviews, etc.)... I'd say it depends where you did your undergrad and what your department had to offer. But like what @Mickey26 said, we really can't predict what admissions will do, so lets stay hopeful! ☺️

Just now, rainydaychai said:

I would second this. I applied straight out of undergrad on my first go and while I did get interviews, I was up against applicants who had their MAs and/or had 3+ years of clinical research coordinator experience at prestigious labs... there's just no comparison. 

I will add, though, that I was accepted with pubs under review and a book chapter in press but nothing in print! I just published my first article in my first semester of grad school, but it was a project from 2018 that I had been working on consistently until now. So it is doable to get accepted with no pubs, as long as you can demonstrate significant research experience and productivity (e.g., pubs under review, multiple conference presentations).

Absolutely! Tangible research output = pubs (does not have to be published, can be under review, does not have to be 1st author, etc), conferences (even student run conferences count!!). 

Faculty know its hard to go to a national conference as a student. So present at as many local/student-run conferences as you feasibly can. Even the year end psychology conference at your school counts! :)

Just now, LMoll said:

It definitely depends! It's not unheard of for someone to get in straight out of undergrad. At the end of the day, it's important that students do have those experiences, but I've met quite a few undergrads that lucked out at their undergrad institution and have those key experiences (like conferences, research projects, workshops/presentations, mentored reviews, etc.)... I'd say it depends where you did your undergrad and what your department had to offer. But like what @Mickey26 said, we really can't predict what admissions will do, so lets stay hopeful! ☺️

I’m finishing off my 5th year currently & have the following .. any thoughts on if this is good/would be competitive to get in after my undergrad (aka for this cycle?):

2 pubs (one first author)

1 pub at revise and resubmit

5 pubs in prep

1 oral conference presentation

12 poster presentations 

2 research coordinator/lab manager positions over 1 year 

-managed several projects (including clinical trials)

1 lab manager position for one semester

4 additional RA positions

1 honours thesis

3 independent research projects 

6 minutes ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I’m finishing off my 5th year currently & have the following .. any thoughts on if this is good/would be competitive to get in after my undergrad (aka for this cycle?):

2 pubs (one first author)

1 pub at revise and resubmit

5 pubs in prep

1 oral conference presentation

12 poster presentations 

2 research coordinator/lab manager positions over 1 year 

-managed several projects (including clinical trials)

1 lab manager position for one semester

4 additional RA positions

1 honours thesis

3 independent research projects 

Wow, this is so impressive!! I honestly think you'd have a good shot at getting in this year. Any clinical experience?

For me, I have:

1 pub (third author)

1 pub in prep (first author)

Honours Thesis

4 presentations (oral & poster, all first author)

Volunteered at 3 research labs in undergrad, worked full-time in one after undergrad 

Excellent letter of recs 

A lot of clinical experience/practicums at hospitals, crisis responder, volunteer work at schools, etc.

BSc. from UofT, CGPA: 3.76, GPA L2 years: 4.0 

Edited by xtrahotlatte

Just now, xtrahotlatte said:

Wow, this is so impressive!! I honestly think you'd have a good shot at getting in this year. Any clinical experience?

For me, I have:

1 pub (third author)

1 pub in prep (first author)

Honours Thesis

4 presentations (oral & poster, all first author)

Volunteered at 3 research labs in undergrad, worked full-time in one after undergrad 

Excellent letter of recs 

A lot of clinical experience/practicums at hospitals, crisis responder, volunteer work at schools, etc.

Thank you!! I have a lot of clinical research experience (examining therapy sessions).. I also have assessment training for suicide risk assessment, and some other assessment training (happy to chat backchannel). I've also communicated with participants with diagnostic disorders as a research coordinator for clinical trials. 

Your experience sounds great!! 

Yikes. I'm definitely finishing my undergrad currently. I have an independent research project and a manuscript resulting from it in prep. I have another manuscript in prep from an actual study and I'm first author on both. I'm second author on two other papers in prep (same data, different take/angle), and I have 2 poster presentations at international conferences (one first author, one second) then 3 student conference presentations I'm first author on, 2 other conference presentations that I'm second author on. 

I do not have an honours thesis. I have RA experience (less than a year though, started in May and is ongoing), 3.96 GPA, volunteer work in an applicable setting for 3 years, and held a council position on our student union council - I am a little rattled hearing that undergrads going directly into grad school isn't the norm. I suppose I just keep on working in the RA position and apply again and hope that my manuscripts are published? Ah.

This is probably a silly question but what kind of things are all of you presenting at these conferences? I wouldn't have even had independent research until the very end of my undergrad so I'm just wondering whether everyone just had a lot more research of their own or whether you can present other things you've helped with? Thanks in advance!

This is probably a silly question but what kind of things are all of you presenting at these conferences? I wouldn't have even had independent research until the very end of my undergrad so I'm just wondering whether everyone just had a lot more research of their own or whether you can present other things you've helped with? Thanks in advance!

I've presented my thesis, an extension of my thesis, my independent project, and another project I've helped with... I've also been a second/later author on some posters based on my contribution to the project

All of my presentations have been based on the same data collected for a study that I was RA on and my mentor guided me through putting together my own analysis, based on a grant I had as a summer studentship for undergraduate research. 

5 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

I've presented my Honours Thesis, an independent research project, as well as research that I helped out with in my lab.

I see a lot of people sharing on this thread everything on their CV wondering if they are competitive or not. 

I can imagine this can be really discouraging to see how many publications/conferences/RAships people have.

I was accepted out of my undergrad with 0 publications and only one student poster presentation. I had a clinical placement, my undergrad thesis, and research experience in a lab for one year. 

Different supervisors look for different things in their potential students so do not be discouraged if you don't have the longest CV.

Good luck everyone!!

I got a notification that someone from the university I've applied to has viewed my linkedin. Whether its related AT ALL to the application, I have no idea. Could just be an alumnus that viewed it after seeing a mutual connection. But I had an OH CRAP moment because I had not updated my linkedIn to reflect my research interests at all - they were from 3 years ago and things have changed!! 

So am I overthinking this? HECK YES. I have now changed it and kind of hoping it wasn't from someone viewing my CV (I put the link to it there). 

Reminder - go update your linkedin!

54 minutes ago, ClinPsych444 said:

I see a lot of people sharing on this thread everything on their CV wondering if they are competitive or not. 

I can imagine this can be really discouraging to see how many publications/conferences/RAships people have.

I was accepted out of my undergrad with 0 publications and only one student poster presentation. I had a clinical placement, my undergrad thesis, and research experience in a lab for one year. 

Different supervisors look for different things in their potential students so do not be discouraged if you don't have the longest CV.

Good luck everyone!!

Thank you so much for this! I was going to post something similar. I know many grad students who were accepted with a similar background as you (if not most).

Not everyone has the privilege to gain pubs/presentations/RA positions to the extent of others during their undergrad and after. Many applicants, either non-traditional, or otherwise have to work full-time, may come from small universities with less RA positions or opportunities, are unable to afford the costs of travelling to present research at conferences, and therefore have visibly smaller CVs. Universities and professors are becoming increasingly aware of these disparities. If you can sell the heck out of yourself and your potential and how your experiences have been meaningful, you have a chance! 

Good luck to everyone, we've all worked so hard to get here! ❤️ 

Edited by Psych1313

57 minutes ago, ClinPsych444 said:

Good luck everyone!!

Whether or not I actually have a chance at being accepted this year, your post just made me feel so much better. Thank you!!

36 minutes ago, Psych1313 said:

Thank you so much for this! I was going to post something similar. I know many grad students who were accepted with a similar background as you (if not most).

Not everyone has the privilege to gain pubs/presentations/RA positions to the extent of others during their undergrad and after. Many applicants, either non-traditional, or otherwise have to work full-time, may come from small universities with less RA positions or opportunities, are unable to afford the costs of travelling to present research at conferences, and therefore have visibly smaller CVs. Universities and professors are becoming increasingly aware of these disparities. If you can sell the heck out of yourself and your potential and how your experiences have been meaningful, you have a chance! 

Thank you for saying this. This is such a kind and understanding perspective and if you're not already a clinical psychology student, I really hope you become one soon! ❤️ 

2 hours ago, Psych1313 said:

I agree, thank you everyone for your kind posts! 

I think it's safe to say all of us are an ambitious and hard working group - We should absolutely all be proud of our accomplishments and all of the work we put in to our applications! It's definitely a stressful process but it's good to keep in mind that the whole point of graduate programs is that we're still learning and don't need to be perfect in everything to make valuable contributions. 

It's also nice to know that there are some really supportive current and future students around, hopefully some of us will meet in future programs ?

Hey! does anyone know if York University has a specific font type requirement for the statement of interest? I know they say font size should be 12 but wanted to confirm the font type. Thank you!

Edited by sg99