2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

17 hours ago, LostSoulInPsychology said:

Hey all,

Haven't posted on here in months because I realized I needed time to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Quick question - is the PEI PsyD considered one of those predatory degrees that's just a money grab? It's not accredited, and it seems that the only thing they look at is GPA and GRE (but GRE not required this year)...I started clicking through the application to see if there was space for me to talk about ECs and research, but nope, I couldn't see anything.

I might've asked about this program before, apologies about that - I didn't want to scroll through the 40 pages of this thread to find it. But yeah does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Hello! So I only heard of the PEI PsyD program this year--I believe its relatively new? I'm assuming they'll be aiming for accreditation once they've had few cohorts going. Have you asked the program admin folx about plans for accreditation? I'd also consider that if you do get into the program prior to the program getting accredited, and then the program gets accreditation while your in the program, I wonder if you'd be grandfathered in and be able to graduate with an accredited degree. Just a few things to consider :) 

7 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Hello! So I only heard of the PEI PsyD program this year--I believe its relatively new? I'm assuming they'll be aiming for accreditation once they've had few cohorts going. Have you asked the program admin folx about plans for accreditation? I'd also consider that if you do get into the program prior to the program getting accredited, and then the program gets accreditation while your in the program, I wonder if you'd be grandfathered in and be able to graduate with an accredited degree. Just a few things to consider :) 

I did indeed email them a few months ago (back when I was more sure that I was going to apply to clinical psyc this year - again, for a variety of reasons I ended up not doing any apps this year!). They kinda just gave me the runaround and did not provide a concrete answer

Is a "grandfathered accreditation" a thing?

Their application deadline isn't even til January 15th...I might just do it and see what happens. Might be a sign from the universe to do it/not do it based on my application result. It literally doesn't even look like they ask for references which is odd. Maybe it's one of those ones where they only ask for references for applicants who get interview offers or something...

Edited by LostSoulInPsychology

School: Ryerson

Type: Clinical Psychology MA

Date of invite: December 28

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): Choice from several dates/times

woke up this morning with a feeling that I'd hear something and then BAM an email! So beyond excited and nervous!

I'm starting to get anxious. I had it in my head to not really start compulsively checking until after xmas (which really should be until after new years). I only applied to one school and looking at past years results the earliest was Jan 8 - but I'm definitely beginning to have really really weird dreams related to admissions (a swimming race in a river that is semi frozen over because its the winter and I'm like "what, how on earth is this part of the admission process???" - its been a weird week). 

Anyways, I'm getting excited, I flip flop between feeling confident and then accepting that its not happening this year. This is SUCH a strange existence right now. I'm hoping that either way I do hear by mid January so that I can tone it down in my sleep hahaha.

3 hours ago, aaapal said:

School: Ryerson

Type: Clinical Psychology MA

Date of invite: December 28

Interview date(s): Choice from several dates/times

woke up this morning with a feeling that I'd hear something and then BAM an email! So beyond excited and nervous!

woot woot! Please share with us about how the interview format goes as in - if virtual what to expect? Panel on zoom, phone call etc etc. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, CateFace said:

I'm starting to get anxious. I had it in my head to not really start compulsively checking until after xmas (which really should be until after new years). I only applied to one school and looking at past years results the earliest was Jan 8 - but I'm definitely beginning to have really really weird dreams related to admissions (a swimming race in a river that is semi frozen over because its the winter and I'm like "what, how on earth is this part of the admission process???" - its been a weird week). 

Anyways, I'm getting excited, I flip flop between feeling confident and then accepting that its not happening this year. This is SUCH a strange existence right now. I'm hoping that either way I do hear by mid January so that I can tone it down in my sleep hahaha.

I feel literally everything in this post 100% haha, right down to the weird dreams and the flip-flopping. I also have not heard back from any school and it’s getting sort of disheartening, but right now people seem to be hearing back about preliminary interviews, which means that there’s going to be lots of variation in who reaches out when. I’m doing my best to stay positive and remind myself it’s not over until there’s a rejection email!! 

21 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

Does anyone know when rejections typically begin? Do they tell people who haven't made it on the shortlist soon after the shortlist is determined or do rejections not start until later on? All this uncertainty is so nerve-wracking! 

From when I applied two years ago, places I didn't get an interview at sent out final rejections around March/April. Although if you don't get an interview by end of Feb/early March for a particular school I think it's safe to check that school off. Unfortunately the final word doesn't come until later in the spring :(

7 minutes ago, Cookiemonster2020 said:

Received an interview offer and need to reply. The POI signed off his email with his first name, do I address him in my reply by his first name then? Hello, Brian, or Hello Dr...

Thanks! I am so nervous!

Always always Dr. X (in my opinion). I don't use first names until I join a lab or develop a closer relationship. Shows you can maintain professionalism. You'll have plenty of time to be more familiar once you work directly with a PI. Mind if I ask which school?

3 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Always always Dr. X (in my opinion). I don't use first names until I join a lab or develop a closer relationship. Shows you can maintain professionalism. You'll have plenty of time to be more familiar once you work directly with a PI. Mind if I ask which school?

Thanks, that was my instinct too! I don’t want to say yet, but it is in Western Canada from one I haven’t seen posted. Sorry

Hey just writing to assuage some application anxiety on the forum. I had a brief correspondence today from my POI at Queen's and they mentioned that they haven't even begun looking at applications yet. I know someone on here had a prelim interview at Queen's, but it sounds like we shouldn't be freaking out yet haha. I don't want to share my POI right now as its very early days and I don't want to get ahead of myself! If I hear anything conclusive (interview/waitlist/rejection) I'll post my POI initials :)

19 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Hey just writing to assuage some application anxiety on the forum. I had a brief correspondence today from my POI at Queen's and they mentioned that they haven't even begun looking at applications yet. I know someone on here had a prelim interview at Queen's, but it sounds like we shouldn't be freaking out yet haha. I don't want to share my POI right now as its very early days and I don't want to get ahead of myself! If I hear anything conclusive (interview/waitlist/rejection) I'll post my POI initials :)

I also want to point out that a lot of POI may be on holidays until next week, I know for a fact one that I've applied to has made a point of not doing work through the holidays so it would be extremely unusual to hear from them during this time.

On 12/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, LostSoulInPsychology said:

Hey all,

Haven't posted on here in months because I realized I needed time to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Quick question - is the PEI PsyD considered one of those predatory degrees that's just a money grab? It's not accredited, and it seems that the only thing they look at is GPA and GRE (but GRE not required this year)...I started clicking through the application to see if there was space for me to talk about ECs and research, but nope, I couldn't see anything.

I might've asked about this program before, apologies about that - I didn't want to scroll through the 40 pages of this thread to find it. But yeah does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Hey so im applying here and they are seeking accreditation as it is a new program. If the schools gets accredited before you graduate then you are considered as having attended an accredited program from what I have heard from students who did the same at other programs. Also for the other comment on here about requirements they do consider more than just grades and GRE scores. You need 3 reference letters and they also have 3 essay questions of 500 words each in addition to a general statement of interest talking about your work and school experiences and a CV. All your materials have to be in by Jan 15th including references. 

28 minutes ago, Rapunzel116 said:

Hey so im applying here and they are seeking accreditation as it is a new program. If the schools gets accredited before you gradute then you are considered as having attended an accredited program from what I have heard from students who did the same at other programs. Also for the other comment on here about requirements they do consider more than just grades and GRE scores. You need 3 reference letters and they also have 3 essay questions of 500 words each in addition to a general statement of interest talking about your work and school experiences and a CV. All your materials have to be in by Jan 15th including references. 

Ooooh okay fairs so I won't be applying this year then lol. Thanks for the info! I'll keep a lookout for next year/future years

Hi everyone! I'm new here but thought I would post my interview update:

School: Ryerson University

Type: Clinical Psychology, MA

Date of invite: December 29th

Interview date(s): Week of January 4

Edited by Psychqueen

Ah so last week I had a LinkedIn view and today I received and email that someone has viewed my academia.edu profile (which i forgot entirely that i had made in my first year of my undergrad so there is nothing to show on it..)

I have never had these emails, so it makes me excited that someone has actually read my application and is wondering about me! Maybe I’m extrapolating, but it gives me hope! 

8 hours ago, Psychqueen said:

Hey I PMd you! 

9 hours ago, Psychqueen said:

I PMd you as well!

12 hours ago, Psychqueen said:

Hello, wow congratulation! I PMd you too.