2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

9 hours ago, Chebben said:

UTSC has received over 400 applications this year. Over twice their usual amount, unfortunately. I imagine its similar for a lot of the Toronto area schools/more popular clinical psych programs. 

So high! Anyone else hear back from UTSC? 

11 hours ago, Chebben said:

UTSC has received over 400 applications this year. Over twice their usual amount, unfortunately. I imagine its similar for a lot of the Toronto area schools/more popular clinical psych programs. 

hey there! wondering if you heard this from an admissions office or a prof. just curious on how people access this information 

Do we think it's okay to reach out to a POI before hearing back about interviews? (I have a burning urge to because the stress and impatience is killing me, but I also feel it reeks of desperation) 

2 hours ago, aaapal said:

Do we think it's okay to reach out to a POI before hearing back about interviews? (I have a burning urge to because the stress and impatience is killing me, but I also feel it reeks of desperation) 

I feel you and I also feel the temptation, but I wouldn't. You don't know what's happening with the POI that's caused them to not get around to sending emails yet - perhaps they're very busy with personal matters, maybe they're teaching a lot of undergrad classes and had to worry about marking tests and term papers first, or maybe this is just simply their process. Or maybe they sent out emails already. Either way, you'll find out eventually, so I think it's better to be patient to show some courtesy. :)

3 hours ago, aaapal said:

It’s still so early! Many many schools have not even opened applications yet. It’s hard to do but I’d definitely just wait! 

4 hours ago, aaapal said:

I wouldn't right now - a lot of people are taking their holidays as of Friday last week and may be completely disconnecting from their work for a couple of weeks. I get the urge, I want to BADLY, but I'd just hold off right now and wait for the holidays to be over at least. I know the program I applied to doesn't typically make contact until mid January - even knowing this I keep refreshing my portal, so I get it I really do!

53 minutes ago, Psych1313 said:

To the person who posted an interview with Queens on the results page: if you happen to see this, do you mind dming me your POI?

Me as well please!! (if that's okay) 

Interview

School: University of Toronto Scarborough 

Date of notice: December 24th, 2020 via email

Date of interview: Week of Jan 4th

Type of interview: first round with POI 

1 hour ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Interview

School: University of Toronto Scarborough 

Date of notice: December 24th, 2020 via email

Date of interview: Week of Jan 4th

Type of interview: first round with POI 

Congrats!! Are you willing to share your POI initials? 

22 hours ago, psych51038 said:

Has anyone had any formal/preliminary interviews with any other schools? I know some schools haven't even reviewed applications yet but I'm curious about others!

Hey! I already PM'd some people about this, but I had an interview with Queen's on December 17th. The prof and I have a history though, so that might explain why the interview was so early? Last year I interviewed the second week of January at Queen's

2 hours ago, Annapple1 said:

Hey! I already PM'd some people about this, but I had an interview with Queen's on December 17th. The prof and I have a history though, so that might explain why the interview was so early? Last year I interviewed the second week of January at Queen's

Thanks so much for sharing this! And congrats on the interview, hope it went really well! :) 

There's something I've been mulling over and I could use some advice. I did not include my GRE scores in any of my applications because I was worried about my quant score. I took the GRE twice. The first time I scored a (V/Q/A) 163/153/5.0 and the second time a 164/154/4.5. While my GPA in my final two years is an A-, my cumulative GPA isn't the best...I'm wondering if, given my below average cGPA, I should have included my GRE scores to offset my cGPA. Does anyone think I should have included my GRE scores? Or is my average quant score a red flag for admissions committees? I've been considering the possibility of asking schools to add my GRE scores to submitted applications but I may be overthinking this. Any perspective on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I only applied to schools that explicitly state they consider your last two years of study when calculating GPA. However, I know some schools do look at overall GPA anyways considering the level of competition in these programs

Edited by PrettyFlyForACogSci

20 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

There's something I've been mulling over and I could use some advice. I did not include my GRE scores in any of my applications because I was worried about my quant score. I took the GRE twice. The first time I scored a (V/Q/A) 163/153/5.0 and the second time a 164/154/4.5. While my GPA in my final two years is an A-, my cumulative GPA isn't the best...I'm wondering if, given my below average cGPA, I should have included my GRE scores to offset my cGPA. Does anyone think I should have included my GRE scores? Or is my average quant score a red flag for admissions committees? I've been considering the possibility of asking schools to add my GRE scores to submitted applications but I may be overthinking this. Any perspective on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Without knowing your cGPA or whether the schools you are applying to look at final 2 year GPA vs cGPA, I'm not sure I have a good answer to this question. That said, I really don't think your quant score would hurt your chances if you were to submit your GRE scores! GRE scores aren't going to make or break your application unless they're really terrible which yours clearly are not and from what I've been told by my academic advisor, even a somewhat below average quant score wouldn't be likely to harm you for clinical psych (it is an average, after all, with people having gotten in with both higher AND lower scores!). 153-154 in quant is not bad at all and I don't think anyone in clinical psych would consider those to be a red flag!

This is just my opinion, but if you are applying to any schools that specifically look at cGPA, I'd go ahead and submit the GRE scores if they allow it because (1) those are awesome scores that you should be proud of, and (2) a cGPA of below A- might hurt your application if this is a specific requirement whereas I am assuming you absolutely meet the GRE cutoffs, so worst case scenario is that your GRE scores just have no effect. My only concern here is that I have no idea if schools allow you to submit materials like GRE scores past the deadline. 

As for schools that only require GPA from your final two years, I'm sorry but I don't really know :( Since your GRE scores are good I personally doubt they'd hurt you, but I'm no expert and hopefully someone else can weigh in! 

1 hour ago, psych51038 said:

Without knowing your cGPA or whether the schools you are applying to look at final 2 year GPA vs cGPA, I'm not sure I have a good answer to this question. That said, I really don't think your quant score would hurt your chances if you were to submit your GRE scores! GRE scores aren't going to make or break your application unless they're really terrible which yours clearly are not and from what I've been told by my academic advisor, even a somewhat below average quant score wouldn't be likely to harm you for clinical psych (it is an average, after all, with people having gotten in with both higher AND lower scores!). 153-154 in quant is not bad at all and I don't think anyone in clinical psych would consider those to be a red flag!

This is just my opinion, but if you are applying to any schools that specifically look at cGPA, I'd go ahead and submit the GRE scores if they allow it because (1) those are awesome scores that you should be proud of, and (2) a cGPA of below A- might hurt your application if this is a specific requirement whereas I am assuming you absolutely meet the GRE cutoffs, so worst case scenario is that your GRE scores just have no effect. My only concern here is that I have no idea if schools allow you to submit materials like GRE scores past the deadline. 

As for schools that only require GPA from your final two years, I'm sorry but I don't really know :( Since your GRE scores are good I personally doubt they'd hurt you, but I'm no expert and hopefully someone else can weigh in! 

Edited by psych51038

Hey all,

Haven't posted on here in months because I realized I needed time to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Quick question - is the PEI PsyD considered one of those predatory degrees that's just a money grab? It's not accredited, and it seems that the only thing they look at is GPA and GRE (but GRE not required this year)...I started clicking through the application to see if there was space for me to talk about ECs and research, but nope, I couldn't see anything.

I might've asked about this program before, apologies about that - I didn't want to scroll through the 40 pages of this thread to find it. But yeah does anyone have any knowledge on this?