2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Just now, CateFace said:

I've emailed a whole bunch this fall and out of those I had one actual interview via zoom and it was more to just talk more about what I had to offer and what I wanted to pursue and for her to explain what happens in her lab, how the mentoring side of it is set up with phd students, grad students, honours students..etc and details on each of her main studies. How the first few years look, what the objectives are. We also introduced our dogs on camera...you know that sort of thing. Others have replied that they already had a student in mind, but wished me luck in applications, others replied that they don't meet with students until after the admissions process to keep things fair, and yet others replied that they will be taking a student and look forward to seeing my application but aren't meeting with any students at this point. It truly is a mixed bag. This was all within one institution too! If anything, I can say that every single email I did send was replied to with kindness and nothing but well wishes, and for those that I didn't get to meet with or talk more to - I am grateful to just get to the point and not waste their time or my own time too! 

Yup, this seems pretty consistent with the emails I've received! I definitely appreciate the ones who have been clear about not being interested/having someone else in mind. It's those who never responded that are a still quite a mystery to me. Love that your dogs got to meet, that's so cute and sounds like that prof would be lovely to work with!  

On 6/6/2020 at 10:43 AM, Mickey26 said:

I can't answer all questions but here you go:

2. Ensure its CPA accredited AND you need to make sure you take the required courses for licensing. For example, I'm in a ClinPsych program in Nova Scotia, but ultimately, will seek licensing in Alberta. So I go to the AB Psychologists Assoc, check their licensing requirements, and note down which courses are needed. The program you're doing your training in will ultimately set you up for licensing in that specific province, as such, you need to be proactive and ensure you have the req courses for licensure in a diff province (some course differences).

3. I've heard that your GRE scores might be the first step in the application process. Ie if your GRE scores are too low (Quant score below 50th percentile), your application is automatically in the reject pile. This may not be the case for all institutions, but just aim to get over 50th percentile on the Quant portion to be safe.

4. Most ppl will not have clinical exp b/c they just finished undergrad/took a yr off to work as lab coordinator, etc. Clinical exp is a BONUS, not a necessity. For example, I personally had no clinical exp prior (I do have extensive research exp) whereas two members of my cohort had clinical exp. There's a greater emphasis on research exp than clinical exp, bc clinical exp is what you acquire in ClinPsych grad schools programs :)

5. You can check admissions stats from previous yrs (listed on each institution's site) for number of applicants vs number of offers. It's also about research match, and the pool of applicants applying. To an extent, there is luck involved. But off the top of my head, I know UBC and McGill consistently get lots of applicants (see: reputation of institution).

6. For Tri-Council funding, so CGS-M, yes it was changed to only 3 schools. I was torn between two fields of research (for example, trauma vs autism). So I picked the one I was slightly more interested in (trauma) and indicated the 3 schools that I planned to do trauma work.

Hey Mickey,

Just FYI...

College of Alberta Psychologist (CAP) now approves CPA-accredited programs for fulfilling the academic credential requirements as per their August 2020 update, so if you go all the way to the doctoral level with your schooling, when you're ready to register in Alberta, you no longer need to ensure you've taken the range of courses CAP is asking for. The same holds true if you're in a program approved by the college.

https://www.cap.ab.ca/Portals/0/pdfs/evaluation-criteria/Criteria-for-Evaluating-Academic-Credentials-After-August-31-2020.pdf?ver=2020-11-26-171348-830&timestamp=1606436125447

Anyone else keep having dreams where you get an offer somewhere and you wake up to check you didn't actually get one? These dreams are SO CRUEL lol. I've also been having dreams where I get rejections but the interview invites/acceptances ones are way more common and wooooow they hurt haha

2 hours ago, VanessaB said:

Hey Mickey,

Just FYI...

College of Alberta Psychologist (CAP) now approves CPA-accredited programs for fulfilling the academic credential requirements as per their August 2020 update, so if you go all the way to the doctoral level with your schooling, when you're ready to register in Alberta, you no longer need to ensure you've taken the range of courses CAP is asking for. The same holds true if you're in a program approved by the college.

https://www.cap.ab.ca/Portals/0/pdfs/evaluation-criteria/Criteria-for-Evaluating-Academic-Credentials-After-August-31-2020.pdf?ver=2020-11-26-171348-830&timestamp=1606436125447

Thanks Vanessa! I wasn't aware of this update! 

It say "For applicants who commenced graduate studies after August 31, 2020", but I started Sept 2019 so I'll follow up with them :) Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I recently noticed online that a school I applied to last year says that my GRE scores are "on file" even though I didn't re-submit them this year. I know the school is accepting scores this year but it's not required (optional). I called the admissions office yesterday and they said to make sure that they don't look at my scores for this year's application, they suggested they leave a note on my application to say that I wish to not consider my scores. I've been overthinking this decision a ton- does this look bad? I feel like maybe they wouldn't have looked at them to begin with but now with the note it just draws attention... They told me another applicant did the same thing a day before I called. On the other hand, I guess it makes it clear that I don't want them to be considered when looking at my application since they DO have access to them. Thoughts? :)

EDIT: It's also my top school :( 

Edited by xtrahotlatte

Just now, xtrahotlatte said:

I recently noticed online that a school I applied to last year says that my GRE scores are "on file" even though I didn't re-submit them this year. I know the school is accepting scores this year but it's not required (optional). I called the admissions office yesterday and they said to make sure that they don't look at my scores for this year's application, they suggested they leave a note on my application to say that I wish to not consider my scores. I've been overthinking this decision a ton- does this look bad? I feel like maybe they wouldn't have looked at them to begin with but now with the note it just draws attention... They told me another applicant did the same thing a day before I called. On the other hand, I guess it makes it clear that I don't want them to be considered when looking at my application since they DO have access to them. Thoughts? :)

So, I think that as they're optional they can't make the decision to put you through to the "next round of consideration" based solely on your GRE scores when they aren't doing that to people who have not submitted them. They would still have to weight your other stuff like GPA, research experience, clinical experience, publications (if you have any), thesis, and reference letters just as highly as they do for people who did not submit GREs.

I think for them to remain fair it would be like "submitting these scores may only help you" not hurt you.

I could be wrong but that's my perception of this whole thing :)

I did it, and I didn't really care. If their process is indeed fair/optional, we should have the right to *not* have our scores viewed if we don't want them to be. To me, it seems like basic courtesy, and doing otherwise would disadvantage repeat applicants. I'd think programs understand that as well.

Just now, higaisha said:

I did it, and I didn't really care. If their process is indeed fair/optional, we should have the right to *not* have our scores viewed if we don't want them to be. To me, it seems like basic courtesy, and doing otherwise would disadvantage repeat applicants. I'd think programs understand that as well.

Yes right?!? Thank you!! Glad you weighed in, this makes me feel more confident about my rather rash decision on the phone yesterday lol.

Yes right?!? Thank you!! Glad you weighed in, this makes me feel more confident about my rather rash decision on the phone yesterday lol.

I emailed a school for this and asked for them to be removed from my file. Kinda felt like a Karen for it, but I feel better about my application without the GREs (or at least knowing that I stood up for myself!).

Just now, higaisha said:

I emailed a school for this and asked for them to be removed from my file. Kinda felt like a Karen for it, but I feel better about my application without the GREs (or at least knowing that I stood up for myself!).

I totally would have done that, but for this particular school they said they didn't have the ability to remove my scores off file...

31 minutes ago, higaisha said:

28 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Do you think it's still reasonable to ask for this if the application deadline has already closed? I didn't even consider that asking for them to be removed would be an option, but I would prefer they not look at my scores if they're not required! 

40 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

I totally would have done that, but for this particular school they said they didn't have the ability to remove my scores off file...

Neither did mine! ended up having to attach a document in the hopes they wouldn't read it ?

52 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Blah... my scores were awful last year. I’m going to be so upset if they can’t remove them from my file. It’s so not fair to have them there if I didn’t submit them with this application and they are optional :(

1 hour ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

I’ve talked to individuals at UVic who have they received roughly 300 applications. Same thing for UTSC. U of C had about 250. 

Oh that is better than I thought actually! Where did you find this out? Or you know people there? I only applied to U of C and have been having actual nightmares about 900 applicants for like 5-6 offers. I realize that 250 is still a lot of likely truly strong and capable and deserving applicants, but in comparison to my nightmare 900 I feel a little bit better, even if it is a total fallacy.

1 hour ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Also, has anyone gained insight into how much the # of applicants actually increased at specific schools in Canada?

I heard SFU had over 300 but that the applicant pool has necessarily increased in competitiveness, still super nerve wracking 

2 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Also, has anyone gained insight into how much the # of applicants actually increased at specific schools in Canada?

It’ll be interesting to see how the applicant numbers stack up between programs that never required the GRE and ones that always required the GRE but dropped the GRE requirement due to Covid. If the schools that never required the GRE get significantly more applicants too, then perhaps more people are applying to grad school this year in general?

Hearing all of this about there being many more applicants this year is really nerve wracking. Especially since last year I only interviewed at 1 school out of the 13 I applied to. It's not like I could have upgraded my grades or anything so I'm kind of still standing on the same feet. 

1 hour ago, VanessaB said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the applicant numbers stack up between programs that never required the GRE and ones that always required the GRE but dropped the GRE requirement due to Covid. If the schools that never required the GRE get significantly more applicants too, then perhaps more people are applying to grad school this year in general?

This is a really good point! Do you know of any schools that never did require the GRE though? I can't think of any. 

Question for anyone here.

If you're a reapplying to a PI that you interviewed for last year who did display an interest but wasn't able to take you, would that put you in a better position this round or does it not matter? 

Casually stressed as heck about this whole process haha 

51 minutes ago, aaapal said:

Hearing all of this about there being many more applicants this year is really nerve wracking. Especially since last year I only interviewed at 1 school out of the 13 I applied to. It's not like I could have upgraded my grades or anything so I'm kind of still standing on the same feet. 

Keep in mind that more applicants doesn’t necessarily mean more competitive applications! I’ve heard from profs that often times nearly half of applicants don’t meet minimum criteria. I know the large number of applications is concerning, but don’t forget that it doesn’t take away from your level of competitiveness, or all the hard work that you have put in!  

44 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

This is a really good point! Do you know of any schools that never did require the GRE though? I can't think of any. 

University of Ottawa doesn’t require the GRE!