2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

10 minutes ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Just received an invitation to Concordia's 'Clinical Interview'. The only details available are that it will be 4.5 hours long. I am wondering if anyone has any insights to how to prepare for this length of an interview, or if anyone has gone through this process before? HELP ?

Congrats!! Is this a department-level interview or an interview with mainly your POI? 

35 minutes ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Just received an invitation to Concordia's 'Clinical Interview'. The only details available are that it will be 4.5 hours long. I am wondering if anyone has any insights to how to prepare for this length of an interview, or if anyone has gone through this process before? HELP ?

I interviewed at Concordia in a previous year. If its anything like in person, it will be multiple shorter interviews with different faculty members and grad students. And potentially an info session about the program. I would be shocked if it’s a single long interview because they def don’t have time to interview every applicant for hours. 

40 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I interviewed at Concordia in a previous year. If its anything like in person, it will be multiple shorter interviews with different faculty members and grad students. And potentially an info session about the program. I would be shocked if it’s a single long interview because they def don’t have time to interview every applicant for hours. 

This is very helpful, thank you! Do you remember if they told you who the different faculty members would be before hand? If they didn't, how did you prepare?

Just wondering if anyone here has been contacted for an interview/accepted into a program with a supervisor that they ranked 2nd or 3rd on an application? Some programs asked us to rank possible supervisors in order of preference, and I suppose it makes sense in terms of finding a match, but I guess I'm wondering if your 3rd choice supervisors would even look at your application when there will likely be plenty of applicants that ranked them first? Has anyone had any luck with someone they didn't rank as their first?

1 hour ago, Terelia said:

Im curious about how much luck people have had in getting interviews with programs they didn’t list on funding applications. Have you ever gotten an interview in a place where you didn’t list funding for? 

Hey! 

This does happen so don't worry! Last year I didn't list a school for the CGS-M funding competition but ended up interviewing and making it to final round interviews for them. I ended up being top choice for that PI but they ended up not being able to take a student. So, it does happen! :)

28 minutes ago, aaapal said:

Hey! 

This does happen so don't worry! Last year I didn't list a school for the CGS-M funding competition but ended up interviewing and making it to final round interviews for them. I ended up being top choice for that PI but they ended up not being able to take a student. So, it does happen! :)

Hi! Did they ask why you didn’t list their institution? If yes, what is an appropriate response to this Q?

Just now, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Hi! Did they ask why you didn’t list their institution? If yes, what is an appropriate response to this Q?

They had just asked if I had applied for external funding. I said that unfortunately I wasn't able to allocate funding to their program but should I be accepted I will most definitely be applying to both the CGS-M and OGS competitions. (luckily, the way they worked you applied for OGS once invited to the final interview round, so I got around that). 

It's kind of one of those questions where you can give a vague answer, but then affirm that you are very invested in research and will definitely be applying to funding in the fall. 

3 minutes ago, aaapal said:

They had just asked if I had applied for external funding. I said that unfortunately I wasn't able to allocate funding to their program but should I be accepted I will most definitely be applying to both the CGS-M and OGS competitions. (luckily, the way they worked you applied for OGS once invited to the final interview round, so I got around that). 

It's kind of one of those questions where you can give a vague answer, but then affirm that you are very invested in research and will definitely be applying to funding in the fall. 

Makes sense! If I’ve applied for OGS but not CGS for this school is that sufficient or would they question why I didn’t apply for CGS?

Just now, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Makes sense! If I’ve applied for OGS but not CGS for this school is that sufficient or would they question why I didn’t apply for CGS?

That all depends on the PI. Most will be okay with it I think - but I can only answer to my own experience. Personally, I always state whether or not I've applied to OGS or CGS in my statements so they know ahead of time. If that's the case and they reached out to an interview, odds are they are aware, and are still interested. 

On 1/5/2021 at 6:57 PM, Psyched_abt_psych said:

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone who has already done an informal interview  (where POI has reached out) can offer any insight on what this looked like and how it went for them? Was it more of a chat to assess fit or even semi structured would you say?

thanks in advance!! 

Hey! 

Yeah I can give some insight! So it was phrased as a "chat to discuss my interest in the program", but I was asked some formal interview questions. I was asked things like

"why do I want to be a clinical psychologist"

"to talk more about my research background"

"why that specific school and/or lab"

"What I want to do long-term in the field" 

etc. 

They are assessing fit throughout the whole process so that doesn't really change. In this informal interview they are now trying to get a glimpse of the person behind the paper. I would say it's still semi-structured and to still prepare some standard interview question responses. 

Mine overall went really well I think! (I had interviewed with them last year so specifically mine was more of a catch up and re-phrasing why I was still interested etc.) 

Hope it helps! :) 

45 minutes ago, aaapal said:

Hey! 

Thank you! I applied to CGS for some schools but obviously not every school can be listed so I really appreciate that reassurance that things can still happen :)

3 hours ago, emsmith said:

Just wondering if anyone here has been contacted for an interview/accepted into a program with a supervisor that they ranked 2nd or 3rd on an application? Some programs asked us to rank possible supervisors in order of preference, and I suppose it makes sense in terms of finding a match, but I guess I'm wondering if your 3rd choice supervisors would even look at your application when there will likely be plenty of applicants that ranked them first? Has anyone had any luck with someone they didn't rank as their first?

I'm curious about this too and don't have much info to offer, but one professor that I emailed did specifically ask that I list him as my first choice to ensure he saw my application - not sure if this would be the case for all schools, though. I also noticed that many schools did not specify to list supervisors in order of preference. I'm really hoping that these schools would perceive all supervisors listed as being equal, although I might just be overly optimistic!  Anyone have any insight?

5 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

I'm curious about this too and don't have much info to offer, but one professor that I emailed did specifically ask that I list him as my first choice to ensure he saw my application - not sure if this would be the case for all schools, though. I also noticed that many schools did not specify to list supervisors in order of preference. I'm really hoping that these schools would perceive all supervisors listed as being equal, although I might just be overly optimistic!  Anyone have any insight?

I know someone who has been reached out to by their 3rd choice, so it definitely happens I would say. 

Edited by psych11123

14 hours ago, Terelia said:

Im curious about how much luck people have had in getting interviews with programs they didn’t list on funding applications. Have you ever gotten an interview in a place where you didn’t list funding for? 

I was interviewed/offered a spot in a program where I didn't list CGS-M for (could only list 3 schools lol). The PI had sufficient funding though and I would have applied for CGS-M once I was in grad school. I think it depends on whether your PI has enough funding for you/is willing to support you that first year if you didn't apply for external funding.

So a “notices” section has appeared in my portal this morning (although there are no notices in it), that I’m pretty sure is new as I refresh it a lot and was wondering only yesterday where in the portal any communication would be found...which is unsettling a bit as without an interview this may be where I find rejections too. Regardless, this is an exciting step! Maybe there will be some communication soon!

For Calgary, is anyone else seeing the 'Final Official Transcript' icon listed on their 'To-Do' List in their application portal?

I had my institution send them the transcript via mail and email well before the application deadline, so I'm not sure why I'm seeing this. I've completed and awarded my degree before sending the transcript, so the checklist shouldn't be showing up as incomplete...