2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

27 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

This is really interesting - thank you so much for sharing! 

Something else I've been wondering about is that in the situation you describe, it sounds to me (although I may be misunderstanding) like the professor identifies the student they want and as long as they meet the requirements of the committee, the committee will mostly like recommend that student's admission. Something I saw on an older forum (either 2018-19 or 2019-20 admissions) were schools where the committee essentially chooses their top candidate from a professor's shortlist. I can't seem to find that post again and don't remember what school it was referring to, but does anyone know if any schools operate like this? Seems kind of different from most of what I've seen on this forum so maybe I interpreted the person's post wrong but I'd be curious to know more!

I’ve also heard of some applicants not making the initial faculty screening but had a POI interested in working with them, and ultimately was able to gain acceptance due to the POI specifically seeking out their application. This to say, I think the process is varies by institutions. 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:24 PM, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I believe they’re formal as from what I’ve heard there’s no like committee! 

Current York clinical student here. Interview invites tend to go out in the last week of January. I think I heard on January 29 or 30 when I applied last year. There is an admissions committee (I'm not sure if this is what this comment is referring to?) and they make a shortlist of candidates. Typically most profs will interview two candidates but some interview more. Last year the interview day was on February 14. Also we were only interviewed by our POI, no one else and they vary in formality. Mine was incredibly informal but most of my cohort had a more intense experience.

That being said, I'm wondering if things might be a bit later this year. I heard from my supervisor that the department received over 1000 applications this year, which is about double the normal volume.

9 minutes ago, sparrow123 said:

Current York clinical student here. Interview invites tend to go out in the last week of January. I think I heard on January 29 or 30 when I applied last year. There is an admissions committee (I'm not sure if this is what this comment is referring to?) and they make a shortlist of candidates. Typically most profs will interview two candidates but some interview more. Last year the interview day was on February 14. Also we were only interviewed by our POI, no one else and they vary in formality. Mine was incredibly informal but most of my cohort had a more intense experience.

That being said, I'm wondering if things might be a bit later this year. I heard from my supervisor that the department received over 1000 applications this year, which is about double the normal volume.

1000 applications?! That's actually insane. This is literally no different from a lottery at this point LOL. Does that number refer to clinical psych or all graduate psych programs?

11 minutes ago, sparrow123 said:

Yes! Previous york undergrad here. I meant after the shortlist if I’m not mistaken the POIs have more say in who they are taking rather than a committee deciding who will be admitted (but please correct me if I’m wrong). I also heard they received 1000 applicants but I believe this is across different programs (e.g., clinical, clinical developmental, social personality, history, etc.). 

20 minutes ago, CateFace said:

OK, so it is starting to get to me this week. 

Good luck everyone, happy Monday/inbox refreshing! 

Me too! Although I’ve been hearing recently that it’s still extremely early and invites for initial interviews may not even be sent out until the end of this month or early feb. 

2 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

1000 applications?! That's actually insane. This is literally no different from a lottery at this point LOL. Does that number refer to clinical psych or all graduate psych programs?

I am wondering the same thing. York has a very large psychology department. These are the following specialization in graduate studies in psychology.

@sparrow123 is more likely that they received 1000 applications for their whole department?

1 minute ago, UroboroS said:

I am wondering the same thing. York has a very large psychology department. These are the following specialization in graduate studies in psychology.

@sparrow123 is more likely that they received 1000 applications for their whole department?

If I’m not mistaken they’ve received double the normal applications for clinical and clinical developmental so I’m assuming roughly 400 for each program as they are distinct

2 minutes ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

If I’m not mistaken they’ve received double the normal applications for clinical and clinical developmental so I’m assuming roughly 400 for each program as they are distinct

Public-Disclosure-Tables-2020-2021-1.pdf

the CD area surprisingly only received 68 applications last year! 

Hi everyone! I just received more information about Concordia's interview process and I am looking for advice! Pretty much the format will be multiple mini interviews and many of these interviews will be used to assess "your natural relational and problem-solving skills". I have been informed that I will be asked to participate in several tasks relevant to the work of clinical psychologists but that they don't expect me to have past clinical training (will not be assessing clinical skills directly). I am wondering if anyone has gone through a similar experience before? Did you do anything to prepare? What sorts of tasks would this involve? Would appreciate any insights or ideas! Thanks in advance :) 

9 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Have official invites been sent from UTSC yet? or just prelims so far?

POIs were very quiet (at least in my experience) during prelims about when invites would go out, but their interview days are Jan 25-27 so I would hope this week they would send invites. 

2 minutes ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

POIs were very quiet (at least in my experience) during prelims about when invites would go out, but their interview days are Jan 25-27 so I would hope this week they would send invites. 

From my experience I believe they will go out latest Friday! Anxiously waiting!

Just now, coffeeinmyveins said:

I know other departments are still figuring out interviews/scheduling, but this makes sense--hoping invites/rejections are sent out sooner rather than later as it is in two weeks. Thanks for sharing!

14 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Public-Disclosure-Tables-2020-2021-1.pdf

the CD area surprisingly only received 68 applications last year! 

I was just about to post this! I have yet to find the public disclosure tables for York's clinical program, but their handbook states that they typically receive 150-180 applications and admit around 8 students. 

Also, I think it's important to remain realistic about the increase in applications this year and the potential increase in competitiveness. However, I think we could all use a little moral boost at this time and remember that not everyone has chosen to work with your POI and much of the increase we are seeing this round is coming from non-competitive applicants (according to some chatter between faculty on academic twitter). It takes a long time to prepare for graduate school.

Program's typically see (across graduate studies) a large increase in apps during an economic downturn (this happened in 2008).

I think it's important to understand there has been an increase in applications, but keep your heads high and don't let those high numbers psych you out!

Edited by UroboroS

1 minute ago, UroboroS said:

I was just about to post this! I have yet to find the public disclosure tables for York's clinical program, but in their handbook states that they typically receive 150-180 applications and admit around 8 students. 

Also, I think it's important to remain realistic about the increase in applications this year and the potential increase in competitiveness. However, I think we could all use a little moral boost at this time and remember that not everyone has chosen to work with your POI and much of the increase we are seeing this round is coming from non-competitive applicants (according to some chatter between faculty on academic twitter). It takes a long time to prepare for graduate school.

Program's typically see (across graduate studies) a large increase in apps during an economic downturn (this happened in 2008).

I think it's important to understand there has been an increase in applications, but keep your heads high and don't let those high numbers psych you out!

Love that ❤️ 

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

Have official invites been sent from UTSC yet? or just prelims so far?

There are a few people who posted on the results page about being contacted for interviews already (contacted between Dec 13 and Jan 8), but I'm hoping they're still going out! One person posted the initials of the POI, and they happen to match the initials of my first choice supervisor which is discouraging.... The competition seems to be very intense this year, and I'm really not sure if I measure up or not. I've been having stress dreams since christmas, and honestly I'm looking forward to the interview dates passing regardless of the outcome. At least once they're over I'll have a better idea of how to plan for the next year of my life!

6 minutes ago, gradclinical said:

The person who got an interview from Ryerson University today and posted on the Result page, Could you please PM  me? Many Thanks

Me too please! :)