2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

1 hour ago, Edge98 said:

I've been thinking about this as well. I am graduating this spring and am debating whether I should take a whole admissions cycle off and apply again in 2022 so I can gain plenty of relevant experience. Or maybe it is worth it to try again this fall. My only worry is that schools will bring back the GRE this fall and I'm not mentally prepared to go through that again right now haha. Current students, did you take time off before applying? if so, would you recommend it?

Speaking as a current student, I applied straight out of undergrad, was waitlisted at a few places but ultimately did not gain acceptance, and then worked as a research coordinator for a lab very closely aligned with my research interests for a year. I applied again the following year and was successful! Looking back, I'm very grateful for my "gap year," as I figured out my research interests more, gained more research experience, and was actually able to go home and relax at 5pm sharp for a year, which was pretty darn nice (certainly not doing that anymore). This may not work for everyone, but I would advise you to reach out to your current contacts in the field (PI, any other professors you've worked with, etc.) and ask if they have any assistant/coordinator positions coming up. This worked very well for me!

Hi friends! Just your daily reminder that if you haven't heard anything yet that's completely okay! You're fantastic! 

Also, taking some time away from the forums is definitely a great thing for your stress levels especially with everything else going on. 

Go binge-watch that show, get some fresh air, and whatever else it is that makes you feel better. A watched inbox never receives an email, and remember that great things will happen! :) 

26 minutes ago, aaapal said:

Hi friends! Just your daily reminder that if you haven't heard anything yet that's completely okay! You're fantastic! 

Also, taking some time away from the forums is definitely a great thing for your stress levels especially with everything else going on. 

Go binge-watch that show, get some fresh air, and whatever else it is that makes you feel better. A watched inbox never receives an email, and remember that great things will happen! :) 

Yesterday was the day I decided to learn how to use power tools (aka put up really simple shelves in my room) just to keep my hands busy and away from my email ?

7 minutes ago, katgoheen said:

Yesterday was the day I decided to learn how to use power tools (aka put up really simple shelves in my room) just to keep my hands busy and away from my email ?

I started a puzzle haha and moved to online shopping so I get it! haha 

9 hours ago, spicemelange said:

Anyone hear from Simon Fraser (SFU) yet? 

I did on Monday. It was a email from the graduate administrator inviting me for three separate interviews with two professors and a graduate student. Someone posted earlier that in the thread that some professors may not have submitted and their shortlist yet to the administrator so if you haven’t heard back, stay confident because you may still hear! 

1 hour ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Preliminary Interview 

school: UTSC

Program: Clinical Psych MA

date of invite: Jan 13

date of interview: Jan 15

dm for POI: yes

Congratulations!! 

Is it common for invites to go out at such short notice? Two days isn't a lot of time to prepare, get time off work, etc!

Just now, emsmith said:

Congratulations!! 

Is it common for invites to go out at such short notice? Two days isn't a lot of time to prepare, get time off work, etc!

I don't think it's super common, I had 10 days notice for my other interview at UTSC.  I am assuming that since UTSC interview days are the 25-27 they are trying to get all prelims out ASAP so they can give people some notice for formal interviews

I just wanted to talk about feelings of discouragement- which may be surfacing a lot right now. Most people have to apply multiple times to get into the program they want and there's nothing wrong with that! When I applied for the first time 3 years ago, I was so overwhelmed with the novelty of this intricate process, not to mention trying to balance school work simultaneously. I actually think some time off is beneficial because it allows you to reflect and focus on other things you may be neglecting- there are other things that matter in life! This process isn't always linear. I feel a sense of calmness this time around, perhaps because I've become experienced with timelines and writing applications, but probably because I know everything will work out in the end for the best. There are so many careers out there that are amazing and that will allow you to make a difference and help people. You are capable of doing all that and more! I was so narrow-minded a few years ago and told myself I HAD to go into clinical psych because it was the next logical step. Maybe it was the prestige. Try to be open-minded to other programs that may work even better with the lifestyle that you want. :) 

Hi everyone! What are your thoughts on contacting POIs to see where things are at? As open houses are coming up and interview invites are being sent out, I have been tempted to email some of the POIs I applied to. I received very positive email responses from several POIs and two enthusiastic informal interviews prior to the application deadline. While I believe it is acceptable I don’t want to annoy my POIs or come off as desperate/anxious. What does everyone else think? Is it acceptable? If so, when would be the earliest you would send these emails out?

7 minutes ago, clinical_psych said:

Hi everyone! What are your thoughts on contacting POIs to see where things are at? As open houses are coming up and interview invites are being sent out, I have been tempted to email some of the POIs I applied to. I received very positive email responses from several POIs and two enthusiastic informal interviews prior to the application deadline. While I believe it is acceptable I don’t want to annoy my POIs or come off as desperate/anxious. What does everyone else think? Is it acceptable? If so, when would be the earliest you would send these emails out?

I understand you wanting to reach out, I think most of us are feeling a similar way. ❤️ 

Although, I have received guidance to absolutely not do this. The only time it is appropriate to reach out in the middle of an app cycle is if you interview formally and it has been a considerable time since you were informed you would hear back, and/or when formal rejections/acceptances have gone out and you haven't heard anything yet. Or, yes it does have the potential to be perceived negatively. 

You may end up interacting with this POI in a professional sense in the future, so I think it's important to remain as professional as possible throughout the app cycle. I do not doubt your email would be professional, but it's kind of an unwritten etiquette to have patience throughout this super arduous and long process. 

Lastly, if you decide you want to reach out, I would suggest touching base with the program coordinator and not the POI. 

5 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Has anyone heard from Windsor U? 

They typically send out their interview invites in late Jan (people start receiving the emails like between Jan 20th-26th) and they schedule the interviews at the end of Jan (24th-31st) and try and wrap them up before Feb. They use Feb to review the interviews and evaluate and make their decisions. 

End of Feb is when the acceptances and invites to Open House (which will be virtual this year if it happens)

It's most likely to early too early for those emails to be sent out. Hope this helps anyone wondering about Windsor timelines :) 

9 minutes ago, SP2017 said:

They typically send out their interview invites in late Jan (people start receiving the emails like between Jan 20th-26th) and they schedule the interviews at the end of Jan (24th-31st) and try and wrap them up before Feb. They use Feb to review the interviews and evaluate and make their decisions. 

End of Feb is when the acceptances and invites to Open House (which will be virtual this year if it happens)

It's most likely to early too early for those emails to be sent out. Hope this helps anyone wondering about Windsor timelines :) 

Thank you!

55 minutes ago, broski said:

Does anyone know how Lakehead admission works? I heard they just offer acceptance/rejection without an interview.

Yup. This is consistent with what I've heard. Had a friend get an offer there for the 2019 application season without interviewing.

26 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Yup. This is consistent with what I've heard. Had a friend get an offer there for the 2019 application season without interviewing.

Hmm! @broski I know someone who got in last year (started fall 2020) and she had an interview

31 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

This could be PI specific though. Some schools don't adhere to a standard "prelim interview, final interview, acceptance/rejection" protocol so in those cases it depends on the supervisor and admissions committee. 

3 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

3 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Hmm! @broski I know someone who got in last year (started fall 2020) and she had an interview

3 hours ago, aaapal said:

This could be PI specific though. Some schools don't adhere to a standard "prelim interview, final interview, acceptance/rejection" protocol so in those cases it depends on the supervisor and admissions committee. 

Thanks y'all. Seems like it varies, like other posters have said on the Results page. If anyone knows a Lakehead grad student who's willing to chat about the program, my DMs are open