2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

On 12/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, Mickey26 said:

Hello! So I only heard of the PEI PsyD program this year--I believe its relatively new? I'm assuming they'll be aiming for accreditation once they've had few cohorts going. Have you asked the program admin folx about plans for accreditation? I'd also consider that if you do get into the program prior to the program getting accredited, and then the program gets accreditation while your in the program, I wonder if you'd be grandfathered in and be able to graduate with an accredited degree. Just a few things to consider :) 

If a program is accredited at the time of your graduation then you graduated from an accredited program. 

On 1/12/2021 at 7:37 PM, katgoheen said:

Yesterday was the day I decided to learn how to use power tools (aka put up really simple shelves in my room) just to keep my hands busy and away from my email ?

Enjoy that. If you do get in there will no longer be time for puzzles and crafts! (at least for 5-7 years)

I won't be applying till next year, but I had a question I wanted to ask while people are still active on here. The University of Windsor website says they require a Psychology Honours BA and specifiy that is 18-20 courses including introductory psych, basic and intermediate statistics, and laboratory courses in learning and experimental methods. I will have done all of that except my school doesn't offer lab courses in learning and experimental methods. I'm wondering if any applicants have been able to get around this requirement? 

27 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

This is probably way to early to ask this, but does anyone have any insight into whether the GRE will be required again for applications this fall? TIA

I get the impression that dropping the GRE wasn't the result of the pandemic alone - but also an attempt to create equal opportunities for students to apply to programs that may be facing additional barriers as a result of this requirement. So, I suppose it depends on what the schools' stance is and their reasoning for dropping it. I want to say it won't be back for all schools, but probably some. (not helpful, I know...)

4 hours ago, CateFace said:

I get the impression that dropping the GRE wasn't the result of the pandemic alone - but also an attempt to create equal opportunities for students to apply to programs that may be facing additional barriers as a result of this requirement. So, I suppose it depends on what the schools' stance is and their reasoning for dropping it. I want to say it won't be back for all schools, but probably some. (not helpful, I know...)

Yeah, I have a feeling if they see that they are successfully able to screen applicants without it, it may soon be perceived as an unnecessary barrier. 

5 hours ago, neurologic said:

I won't be applying till next year, but I had a question I wanted to ask while people are still active on here. The University of Windsor website says they require a Psychology Honours BA and specifiy that is 18-20 courses including introductory psych, basic and intermediate statistics, and laboratory courses in learning and experimental methods. I will have done all of that except my school doesn't offer lab courses in learning and experimental methods. I'm wondering if any applicants have been able to get around this requirement? 

Contact the admin and ask, it's likely they've gotten this question before! Perhaps you could find an online university to take the courses at, or maybe (on the condition you're accepted) you can take it in the spring/summer at their university prior to the fall that you're starting your studies. 

School: Ryerson

Program: Clinical Psychology MA

Interview type: POI requested time to talk.

Date of Invite: Jan 18th

DM for POI(s): Yes

This is my first interview! If anyone has advice on how to prepare that would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Psychologystudent2021

2 hours ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

This is my first interview! If anyone has advice on how to prepare that would be greatly appreciated!!

I meant to take out the last line on this post, sorry. I am not able to edit posts so I cannot change the original. At this time I am not ready to share initials, I thought it meant did the person message me directly... oops!

1 minute ago, higaisha said:

Anyone heard back from Western? Interviews are in two weeks, and with only 3 faculty recruiting (1 of which I know might not recruit at all), I wouldn't be surprised if Western end up not taking any students this year. 

How do you know when the interviews are? Is this posted on their website? 

5 hours ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

There is a great thread from last year that might be helpful to you! 

Also check out Mitch's guide: http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf