2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Hi everyone!

I applied for some clinical psychology programs this year and this is my first year applying. I am just wrapping up my undergrad and unfortunately after reading through these forums I feel very discouraged about my applications.

When I contacted potential supervisors back in the summer/fall of 2020, I received a ton of positive feedback from every professor I contacted. Many were encouraging me to apply and were excited to review my application. In August, I had an online informal interview/meeting with a potential supervisor and shortly after I met with one of their current students to ask questions about the school and program. Those meetings went super well and the prof even helped me apply for government funding.

I also had an informal interview/meeting with another potential supervisor in September for a different school and that went fantastic. I have been in contact with him since June. However, I haven’t received any invites to interviews yet, any advice for helping calm the nerves I have been feeling? 

17 minutes ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

Hi everyone!

I applied for some clinical psychology programs this year and this is my first year applying. I am just wrapping up my undergrad and unfortunately after reading through these forums I feel very discouraged about my applications.

When I contacted potential supervisors back in the summer/fall of 2020, I received a ton of positive feedback from every professor I contacted. Many were encouraging me to apply and were excited to review my application. In August, I had an online informal interview/meeting with a potential supervisor and shortly after I met with one of their current students to ask questions about the school and program. Those meetings went super well and the prof even helped me apply for government funding.

I also had an informal interview/meeting with another potential supervisor in September for a different school and that went fantastic. I have been in contact with him since June. However, I haven’t received any invites to interviews yet, any advice for helping calm the nerves I have been feeling? 

I too am finishing my undergrad, and feel similar. I'm trying to remind myself I've done everything I can to be as strong as I can and that if that isn't enough then I know I need to take the next year getting prepared. I'm not sure if its a idea/thing that admissions committees hold/do or if it is the PIs that are more reluctant to take on students fresh from their undergrad - and so we just have to wait to see. I understand the dread you are feeling though, I'm right there with you. 

Mostly, I just have so much regret starting my education so so late in life and have visions of being mid40s before I can work. 

Edited by CateFace

5 minutes ago, CateFace said:

I too am finishing my undergrad, and feel similar. I'm trying to remind myself I've done everything I can to be as strong as I can and that if that isn't enough then I know I need to take the next year getting prepared. I'm not sure if its a idea/thing that admissions committees hold/do or if it is the PIs that are more reluctant to take on students fresh from their undergrad - and so we just have to wait to see. I understand the dread you are feeling though, I'm right there with you. 

Mostly, I just have so much regret starting my education so so late in life and have visions of being mid40s before I can work. 

It’s nice to know there are fellow new applicants here! 

Also, don’t regret that you went back late, be proud that you went back! It’s not easy to take on a degree at any point in life and it’s an accomplishment that you definitely shouldn’t shadow with regret. I really hope within the next few months we see an update from you that you got in, I believe in you!

Just now, Psychologystudent2021 said:

It’s nice to know there are fellow new applicants here! 

Also, don’t regret that you went back late, be proud that you went back! It’s not easy to take on a degree at any point in life and it’s an accomplishment that you definitely shouldn’t shadow with regret. I really hope within the next few months we see an update from you that you got in, I believe in you!

you are too sweet, thank you. I genuinely hope the same for you. I love love love sharing the exciting news in here - I think we're all so deserving and have worked so hard! I think you are right too, it doesn't matter when it happens, just doing it is a huge deal. We all need like a group coffee and chocolate! 

33 minutes ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

Hi everyone!

Most schools haven't sent out invitations yet! Don't start getting down on yourself. I've personally found that focusing on things that are productive has really kept me from spiralling. For instance, instead of constantly scanning the forum or re-checking application portals, I signed up for stats class, I do some interview prep, I review GRE vocab, or I watch online lectures about my field on interest etc. These are all great activities that will be relevant for my future if I need to reapply or will be helpful for starting school in the fall and also keep me from focusing on the negative. Again, most schools are yet to send out invites! 6/7 of the schools I applied to have not sent out anything so far. IDK about your programs but I'm willing to bet you still have schools that haven't made admissions decisions

Hope this helps!

10 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Most schools haven't sent out invitations yet! Don't start getting down on yourself. I've personally found that focusing on things that are productive has really kept me from spiralling. For instance, instead of constantly scanning the forum or re-checking application portals, I signed up for stats class, I do some interview prep, I review GRE vocab, or I watch online lectures about my field on interest etc. These are all great activities that will be relevant for my future if I need to reapply or will be helpful for starting school in the fall and also keep me from focusing on the negative. Again, most schools are yet to send out invites! 6/7 of the schools I applied to have not sent out anything so far. IDK about your programs but I'm willing to bet you still have schools that haven't made admissions decisions

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the insight. I will be sure to try out some of your tips :)

On 8/3/2020 at 2:47 AM, higaisha said:

+1 on this. Didn't get in, but I wasted so much time coming up with the ~perfect~ email to send POIs and I cringe now bc 1.) they were way too long, 2.) weren't worth the often copy-pasted or very brief responses I got and 3.) didn't count for anything--POIs I didn't email interviewed me and POIs who I had pleasant back and forth with didn't interview me. I admittedly wasn't too strong a candidate back then, so maybe thats why (lol). Also, it's fun to get responses from people you admire a lot, which was validating for me at the time, but it definitely doesn't count for much (if at all) in the greater scheme of things. 

Reiterating this. On one cycle, I heard back with an interview offer from a PI almost immediately, I interviewed and felt there was REALLY great rapport and a great interview, had students tell me that he had space for extra students that year and you wouldn't be here without serious consideration, had an informal interview with another faculty who said he was going to put in a word for me, and wasn't accepted. 

You are not accepted until you are accepted. 

25 minutes ago, iliketurtlestoo said:

Reiterating this. On one cycle, I heard back with an interview offer from a PI almost immediately, I interviewed and felt there was REALLY great rapport and a great interview, had students tell me that he had space for extra students that year and you wouldn't be here without serious consideration, had an informal interview with another faculty who said he was going to put in a word for me, and wasn't accepted. 

Yes. Guys, please try to protect yourself emotionally and don't consider informal acceptances or word of mouth as official until you receive something in writing. Last year I had made it to final round interviews, was the top pic by the POI but then wasn't offered acceptance because the university hadn't placed the supervisor at high enough consideration for a student. It does happen and it's out of your control so getting excited is amazing, over-preparing is great, but please please hold out until you get the call/email. 

For those of you who listed Dalhousie as one of their proposed institutions for the CGS-M, did you list the Psychology and Neuroscience for department and Science for Faculty? 

Thanks!

Edited by Drew James

Has anyone heard anything from McMaster yet?

Also, don't get down on yourself! There are so many applicants with such diverse backgrounds that a lot of the time it's really a mystery why one prof would pick one candidate over another - for instance - I had an informal interview with a prof and she was most excited by the fact that I used to be a national athlete - and this information only came out because she talked about how she was like a coach in her supervision. If I get a formal interview with her it will be because of that information - I guarantee lol.

I've received some interviews so far but I'm still waiting to hear from others. I figured I'd share in case anyone was waiting to hear from the same programs/POIs

School: University of British Columbia

Type: Clinical Masters

Date of invite: 12/28/2020

Type of invite: Email from POI for official interview

Interview date(s): Dec. 31, 2020

DM for POI: Yes 

School: Waterloo

Date of invite: 12/18/2020

Interview date(s): Jan. 8, 2021

School: Queen's University

Date of invite: 1/7/2021

Interview date(s): Week of Jan 11

17 minutes ago, psycpolarbear said:

I've received some interviews so far but I'm still waiting to hear from others. I figured I'd share in case anyone was waiting to hear from the same programs/POIs

Congrats!! 

1 hour ago, RebeccaPsych said:

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone knows what the timeline is like for Queen's. OR, has anyone heard about their ability to take international students this year? ? I'm specifically interested inJS

Thank you! 

I believe (based on previous years) that Queen's does their formal interview day around mid-to-late Feb. As of now it seems like POIs are conducting preliminary interviews before extending official invites to Queen's interview day! 

6 minutes ago, KKrup said:

I was wondering if anyone has heard from Ryerson, York, or Guelph yet about interviews? Or if anyone knows when we should expect to hear from them? 

Ryerson has started their prelim interviews and I believe are wrapping those up to prepare for formal interview invites from the admissions committee. York has not done any interviews yet as far as I'm aware, and I think someone on here had an interview at Guelph but I haven't seen much from them yet this cycle. 

1 hour ago, psycpolarbear said:

HOLY COW! that's amazing!!! congratulations on all of the interview invites that's so exciting! Let us know how it all goes for you and good luck!! :) 

On 9/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, MaryQofS said:

I just checked the course fees for people who are not Canadian or resident in Canada, and, unfortunately, the course I checked was $2000. Since I have so many credits I need to do, I wouldn't be able to afford this. Anybody else have any suggestions about where to do credits? Perhaps there are some Americans reading this who could give advice about where to get them in the US?

In case this is helpful: https://www.fielding.edu/our-programs/school-of-psychology/postbaccalaureate-clinical-psychology-certificate/

2 hours ago, aaapal said:

Yes. Guys, please try to protect yourself emotionally and don't consider informal acceptances or word of mouth as official until you receive something in writing. Last year I had made it to final round interviews, was the top pic by the POI but then wasn't offered acceptance because the university hadn't placed the supervisor at high enough consideration for a student. It does happen and it's out of your control so getting excited is amazing, over-preparing is great, but please please hold out until you get the call/email. 

3 hours ago, iliketurtlestoo said:

This, all of this. The exact same thing happened to me last cycle. Rejection was so much harder because I was so "sure" that I would get in at this specific program. I think it's important to remain hopeful and have a generally positive attitude, but this year I am remaining much more realistic about the possibility of outcomes and more mentally and emotionally balanced. It is so important to protect your mental health during this process.

This isn't meant to bring people down, but I wish I had known last year that literally things can change up until the very last minute (like they did for me). The outcome does not reflect our potential or competency, it's just that the process can be idiosyncratic and so much is way beyond our control or based on information we're not privy to. I really hope this process becomes more transparent and less difficult on the applicants because right now I feel that a lot of this is pretty unnecessary and could be ironed out beforehand.

Edited by UroboroS

Hi everyone! 

I received an email from my POI at Calgary today requesting to meet sometime next week to chat. The email was pretty informal so I wouldn't worry if you haven't received anything yet - i suspect these will be going out on a rolling basis. I know that Calgary has had interview days in the past and this request to meet is definitely not for an interview day so don't worry if you're still waiting to hear! 

39 minutes ago, Terelia said:

Hi everyone! 

I received an email from my POI at Calgary today requesting to meet sometime next week to chat. The email was pretty informal so I wouldn't worry if you haven't received anything yet - i suspect these will be going out on a rolling basis. I know that Calgary has had interview days in the past and this request to meet is definitely not for an interview day so don't worry if you're still waiting to hear! 

Thanks for sharing! I've been stalking the boards for info on Calgary, so it sounds like their initial screening and forwarding applications to PI's is nearing completion, which is nice to have an idea of where they are at. I hope your interview goes well and you click with the PI!