2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

1 hour ago, psych101010 said:

Does anyone know if you need a prelim interview to get an interview at Ryerson/if a conversation in the Fall, before applications were submitted, would be sufficient?

Some POIs don't do the preliminary interviews - as with all schools, so it really just depends (sorry if that isn't the most helpful answer) but from what I gather they are pretty standard in their process

2 hours ago, UroboroS said:

This, all of this. The exact same thing happened to me last cycle. Rejection was so much harder because I was so "sure" that I would get in at this specific program. I think it's important to remain hopeful and have a generally positive attitude, but this year I am remaining much more realistic about the possibility of outcomes and more mentally and emotionally balanced. It is so important to protect your mental health during this process.

This isn't meant to bring people down, but I wish I had known last year that literally things can change up until the very last minute (like they did for me). The outcome does not reflect our potential or competency, it's just that the process can be idiosyncratic and so much is way beyond our control or based on information we're not privy to. I really hope this process becomes more transparent and less difficult on the applicants because right now I feel that a lot of this is pretty unnecessary and could be ironed out beforehand.

10000000%. I had a hell of a roller coaster ride with the school I was eventually accepted at... I didn't end up getting accepted until the very end of March, weeks after initial offers went out and when my POI said I would be accepted. It was so stressful to get my hopes up wildly, only to learn that I might not get in. 

2 hours ago, Terelia said:

Hi everyone! 

I received an email from my POI at Calgary today requesting to meet sometime next week to chat. The email was pretty informal so I wouldn't worry if you haven't received anything yet - i suspect these will be going out on a rolling basis. I know that Calgary has had interview days in the past and this request to meet is definitely not for an interview day so don't worry if you're still waiting to hear! 

Congrats, Terelia! That’s very exciting. Would you mind sharing who your POI is with me in a PM? I would greatly appreciate it! 

Edited by clinical_psych

Hi lovely people! 

A few more interviews to share, feel free to message me for the POI if you're interested. :)

School: Simon Fraser University

Type: Clinical Psychology - General (MA/PhD) 

Date of invite: 1/11/2020

Type of invite: Email from Department for formal interviews (3) 

Interview date(s): All will be completed prior to Feb 3rd

School: Queen's University

Type: Clinical Psychology (MSc)

Date of invite: 1/10/2021

Type of invite: Email from POI inviting me to interview 

Interview date(s): Mid-Jan

Also has anyone else heard from Dal re: admissions (I haven't yet)? Would be amazing if you could DM me if so. :) Thanks so much.

6 hours ago, aaapal said:

Ryerson has started their prelim interviews and I believe are wrapping those up to prepare for formal interview invites from the admissions committee. York has not done any interviews yet as far as I'm aware, and I think someone on here had an interview at Guelph but I haven't seen much from them yet this cycle. 

Just curious, how did you find this out?

Edited by iamstressed

5 minutes ago, iamstressed said:

Just curious, how did you find this out?

Last year Ryerson had followed a similar cycle. The other information is based off of previous posters and their experiences as well.

Edited by aaapal

I know this is a clinical psychology thread, but has anyone applied to McGill's counselling psychology program this year/in the past? Is early march usually around when they send out offers? On the website they say interviews are not required as a part of the admissions process for 2020... so I'm assuming the next I'll hear from them might be the admissions decision? Maybe that means offers will be going out sooner this year? Oof I have so many questions yet I know nobody who has also applied to this program lol

1 hour ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I know this is a clinical psychology thread, but has anyone applied to McGill's counselling psychology program this year/in the past? Is early march usually around when they send out offers? On the website they say interviews are not required as a part of the admissions process for 2020... so I'm assuming the next I'll hear from them might be the admissions decision? Maybe that means offers will be going out sooner this year? Oof I have so many questions yet I know nobody who has also applied to this program lol

I applied to the MA in Counselling Psychology at UVic and there is no interview process for that program and even then they take until early March to get back to applicants - it seems most Canadian masters in counselling programs take several months to get back to applicants with the exception of a few programs (like Calgary for example). Waiting sucks, I know!

Edited by Samantha123

3 minutes ago, Samantha123 said:

I applied to the MA in Counselling Psychology at UVic and there is no interview process for that program and even then they take until early March to get back to applicants - it seems most Canadian masters in counselling programs take several months to get back to applicants with the exception of a few programs (like Calgary for example). 

Makes sense, thanks!

Also, question for you, did you do your Bachelor's at uVic? I wanted to apply there too for counselling but I'm from U of A and they are SO strict about their prerequisites. There's two classes that they just absolutely do not accept any equivalent classes for and you must take them prior to even applying!! Unless they changed their rules since then? 

Edited by carlrogersfan98

58 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Makes sense, thanks!

Also, question for you, did you do your Bachelor's at uVic? I wanted to apply there too for counselling but I'm from U of A and they are SO strict about their prerequisites. There's two classes that they just absolutely do not accept any equivalent classes for and you must take them prior to even applying!! Unless they changed their rules since then? 

I did my undergrad at UBC actually but yes UVic is super particular about their pre-reqs - I had to go back after I graduated to take some additional classes and even then I didn't complete all the pre-reqs because one of them isn't really offered in the Lower Mainland (Group Processes) but I contacted the department and they said they understand because it's hard to find outside of the island. So yes I completely understand when people say the pre-reqs are demanding! 

2 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Makes sense, thanks!

You can apply to UVic and take the courses as a post-professional student or whatever they call it now. It might be worth considering if UVic is a top choice for you. It will be semi-expensive, but in my situation I figured I’d do anything for my dreams, even if it meant doing more courses or spending more money. The courses might even be online for you now if you wanted to take them and take them soon, but I lived in Victoria for two months as there were no online options at the time. Side note...I don’t recommend staying in campus townhomes. I’ll spare you the story!

Anyways, I did the courses back in the summer of 2018. I spent a summer in Victoria, which was a new experience having lived in Alberta most of my life! I took ED-D 414 (group processes) and ED-D 417 (skills for effective interpersonal communication). I already had the counselling theories class from an Alberta university. I did the two classes as “extra” classes you could say, but the prep in 417 was fantastic, and the instructor was what I’d call a master at her craft. She also occasionally brought in current MA counselling psyc students to talk about the program and answer questions about the program.

Ultimately, that experience made me realize that I actually wanted to go into a school/clinical/applied child psychology program and not counselling psychology, so it was a very insightful summer that changed my new career path (I started as a teacher wanting to become a counsellor, but I’m now in my dream program...SCCP). “Trying things on,” so to speak, in Victoria also gave me a chance to see if I’d like living in Victoria and if I liked the courses. I found my group process instructor to be slightly bonkers, and although that wasn’t what ultimately turned me off from counselling psychology altogether, I couldn’t imagine myself in the program part way and at the end of that summer experience.

Interestingly, for those wanting to do the UVic program, my counselling skills class was told that being a male can help you get in the program as very few males apply compared to females. I believe the MA in counselling psyc at UVic may still consider you if you’re missing a prerequisite, but I think getting admitted with a missing prerequisite is rare. Between my two classes (ED-D 414 and 417), there was only one student who had been admitted and was required take a course prior to the program start.

Edited by VanessaB

9 hours ago, VanessaB said:

You can apply to UVic and take the courses as a post-professional student or whatever they call it now. It might be worth considering if UVic is a top choice for you. It will be semi-expensive, but in my situation I figured I’d do anything for my dreams, even if it meant doing more courses or spending more money. The courses might even be online for you now if you wanted to take them and take them soon, but I lived in Victoria for two months as there were no online options at the time. Side note...I don’t recommend staying in campus townhomes. I’ll spare you the story!

Anyways, I did the courses back in the summer of 2018. I spent a summer in Victoria, which was a new experience having lived in Alberta most of my life! I took ED-D 414 (group processes) and ED-D 417 (skills for effective interpersonal communication). I already had the counselling theories class from an Alberta university. I did the two classes as “extra” classes you could say, but the prep in 417 was fantastic, and the instructor was what I’d call a master at her craft. She also occasionally brought in current MA counselling psyc students to talk about the program and answer questions about the program.

Ultimately, that experience made me realize that I actually wanted to go into a school/clinical/applied child psychology program and not counselling psychology, so it was a very insightful summer that changed my new career path (I started as a teacher wanting to become a counsellor, but I’m now in my dream program...SCCP). “Trying things on,” so to speak, in Victoria also gave me a chance to see if I’d like living in Victoria and if I liked the courses. I found my group process instructor to be slightly bonkers, and although that wasn’t what ultimately turned me off from counselling psychology altogether, I couldn’t imagine myself in the program part way and at the end of that summer experience.

Interestingly, for those wanting to do the UVic program, my counselling skills class was told that being a male can help you get in the program as very few males apply compared to females. I believe the MA in counselling psyc at UVic may still consider you if you’re missing a prerequisite, but I think getting admitted with a missing prerequisite is rare. Between my two classes (ED-D 414 and 417), there was only one student who had been admitted and was required take a course prior to the program start.

Interesting!! I've never heard of anyone who's actually gone through that process, thanks for sharing! I definitely found faculty members that were excellent matches there, but I wouldn't say it was my TOP top choice that I absolutely NEEDED to apply. However, if things don't work out this year, and if classes continue to be offered remotely, I may just consider that for next year. I appreciate your anecdote, thanks again :)

23 hours ago, Drew James said:

For those of you who listed Dalhousie as one of their proposed institutions for the CGS-M, did you list the Psychology and Neuroscience for department and Science for Faculty? 

Thanks!

Yup :) except I haven't heard anything from them regarding my CGSM, unlike UBC who emailed me confirming they received it and are forwarding it to the psych dept...

Edited by carlrogersfan98

School: University of Calgary

Type: Clinical Psychology (MSc)

Date of invite: 1/15/2021

Type of invite: Email from POI for preliminary interview 

Interview date(s): next week 

POI: PM for POI

Edited by clinical_psyc_hopeful
POI

What is the difference between an informal interview and a formal interview? And by that I mean, what would be the difference in questions/topics of these interviews? Do formal interviews usually have multiple people from the department while informal are usually one to one?

Also, what kinds of questions would you be asked by a grad student in an interview vs a possible supervisor? I get that you might want to ask them different types of questions in terms of labs/working with different people etc, but what kind of information would they be looking for from us? 

Would anyone be interested in joining a Discord sever or Slack group for Canadian applicants?

I belong to groups for US applicants and I find the discussions are much more organized. For example you have different sections like 'Interview Invites', 'Resources', 'Emotional Support', etc. And you can ctrl+f in the entire chat to find what you're looking for. Discord would still maintain anonymity, though we could hold Zoom get-togethers or game nights if we wanted.  

2 minutes ago, broski said:

Would anyone be interested in joining a Discord sever or Slack group for Canadian applicants?

I belong to groups for US applicants and I find the discussions are much more organized. For example you have different sections like 'Interview Invites', 'Resources', 'Emotional Support', etc. And you can ctrl+f in the entire chat to find what you're looking for. Discord would still maintain anonymity, though we could hold Zoom get-togethers or game nights if we wanted.  

I would be in! 

School: UTSC

Program: Clinical Psychology MA

Interview type: Formal interview days Jan 25-27

Date of Invite: Jan 15th from Program coordinator 

DM for POI(s): Yes

Edited by freudianslipintogradschool