2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

51 minutes ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

Could the person that posted on the results page about SFU please PM me! or anyone else whose heard

If you feel comfortable sharing can you please PM me as well? 

22 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Yes! Previous york undergrad here. I meant after the shortlist if I’m not mistaken the POIs have more say in who they are taking rather than a committee deciding who will be admitted (but please correct me if I’m wrong). I also heard they received 1000 applicants but I believe this is across different programs (e.g., clinical, clinical developmental, social personality, history, etc.). 

Ooh yes, from my understanding, after the shortlist is created and the POI has interviewed their candidates, it's basically up to them who to offer admission to although it does still have to be approved by the admissions committee! My understanding is that the approval by the admissions committee at that point is more of a formality than anything although they can still say no for some reason (which seems unlikely). 

22 hours ago, UroboroS said:

I am wondering the same thing. York has a very large psychology department. These are the following specialization in graduate studies in psychology.

@sparrow123 is more likely that they received 1000 applications for their whole department?

Yes, that definitely makes the most sense! Sorry I should have been more clear about that. York has the largest graduate psychology program in Canada apparently so it makes sense that the number of applications is huge. I didn't mean to unduly alarm y'all sorry!

13 minutes ago, UroboroS said:

A little heads up.. Most people on here are cool, some are trolls. Beware! Do not take everything everyone has to say at face value. That goes for the results section as well.

Heard there were some trolls posing about US results. Have you encountered any Canadian trolls lmao 

Not to bring anyone down (there's still time and it could still work out!), but has anyone been thinking about how they're going to improve their CV for the next round of applications? This is my first time applying, and I had a pre-march-2020 plan for how I was going to use this year to work on mine but unfortunately much of that plan seems useless right now. I had been betting on getting more volunteer experience because it's very difficult to get paid experience with a BSc in psychology where I live unless you are bilingual (My French language skills stop around the 'where is the bathroom' level), but volunteer opportunities seem to be shut down for now to limit contacts in the labs. I've been signing up for various online courses, but I'm feeling pretty lost thinking about what to do next.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, Sephix said:

Hey All,

SFU, I hear are planning to invite students for interviews shortly and WILL be sending this information out next week - Tuesday is the deadline for interviewers to confirm and then between Wed and Fri you should hear :) (prob Thurs or Fri to be safe)

IF people have questions about their interviewers - don't hesitate to ask. I will check this on occasion to pass info as per every year :D

I am still waiting to hear from peers at other schools about their system and will inform once I find out.

Good luck!

Seph

I am hearing some students are starting to hear from the GPA at SFU which is great! Please don't panic if you don't hear today - you have all week :) it is a lengthy process as some faculty and grad students have already responded to the GPA and whichever student was associated with those members, will have probably received an email - sit tight!

PS: this is quite similar to other schools where the process is rolling and so if you hear some students getting a response, it doesn't mean you won't get a response. I had some schools respond to me early and some quite late --- there is too much going on at these schools during this period.

35 minutes ago, noamountoflavender said:

Not to bring anyone down (there's still time and it could still work out!), but has anyone been thinking about how they're going to improve their CV for the next round of applications? This is my first time applying, and I had a pre-march-2020 plan for how I was going to use this year to work on mine but unfortunately much of that plan seems useless right now. I had been betting on getting more volunteer experience because it's very difficult to get paid experience with a BSc in psychology where I live unless you are bilingual (My French language skills stop around the 'where is the bathroom' level), but volunteer opportunities seem to be shut down for now to limit contacts in the labs. I've been signing up for various online courses, but I'm feeling pretty lost thinking about what to do next.

There is ALOT of time still! Some schools will be sending out invites in to mid and some even late February.

In terms of your other question, this is a really unfortunate time with the pandemic and all, but if you have any connections to research labs or faculty who you have worked with in the past OR know of your work, I would get in touch with them and ask to do some research with them in their lab - the ultimate goal being trying to get a conference poster and maybe even a publication submitted by the next round of applications. Schools care about GPA of course, but research output is just as important! Also, I presume GREs will become a factor again come next cycle and can help make-up for your GPA if that is a concern as some schools value the GRE quite heavily. My GPA was not the best, but my GRE scores were quite strong and that helped me get more interest from schools that otherwise would have turned me down

Feel free to DM me and we can chat further so as to not takeaway from the purpose of this forum :)

Edited by Sephix

1 hour ago, noamountoflavender said:

I've been thinking about this as well. I am graduating this spring and am debating whether I should take a whole admissions cycle off and apply again in 2022 so I can gain plenty of relevant experience. Or maybe it is worth it to try again this fall. My only worry is that schools will bring back the GRE this fall and I'm not mentally prepared to go through that again right now haha. Current students, did you take time off before applying? if so, would you recommend it?

6 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

I've been thinking about this as well. I am graduating this spring and am debating whether I should take a whole admissions cycle off and apply again in 2022 so I can gain plenty of relevant experience. Or maybe it is worth it to try again this fall. My only worry is that schools will bring back the GRE this fall and I'm not mentally prepared to go through that again right now haha. Current students, did you take time off before applying? if so, would you recommend it?

Likewise. My biggest dread are the GREs if they come back for the 2022 cycle. I studied for them this year only to have them be cancelled and then waived. I do not want to study for them again. 

1 hour ago, noamountoflavender said:

I have a plan to work as a volunteer in the lab I hope to work in as a student that I'm currently attached to - so I'll be able to strengthen my CV with whatever comes out of that. But I'm really hoping that I can count that work towards my masters. I realize that students coming straight out of undergrad aren't typically accepted...but I'm also 32, a year, 2 year, 3 year delay does start to add up. I mean nothing I can do about it but continue to re-apply - time marches on anyways - but it is something that is in my mind too. 

18 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

I'm not a current student, but I applied once straight after I graduated a few years ago, and I'm applying again this year, and I have to say I feel genuinely prepared to do a PhD now and am really confident in my decision to apply and what I want out of it, 1000x more than I did the first time I applied. That's not to say I currently have a flawless application or anything, there is a lot I'm worried about in terms of getting in. And I know that however much experience you have, doing a PhD is going to be really hard. But I do understand more about the research process after working in research, and getting much more "real world" research experience than as a student. I think this will all be very individual though and depend on your own experience. 

That said, I definitely believe getting experience even for your own personal benefit is a really good way to go to help you learn more about research and your field of interest as a whole, and will help improve your CV.

2 hours ago, noamountoflavender said:

I don't have any direct experience in the field I applied to research (although I have lots of research experience in other areas) which I think is hurting my chances since it's such a competitive year. Thus, if I turn up empty-handed in terms of offers, I will seek out perhaps getting involved in research that looks at the area I'm applying to, as well as find some volunteering in relevant areas. I plan on working as a psychometrist at a rehab clinic I did an undergrad internship at.

3 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Anyone know when Ryerson's official interviews are being held?

From what I understand, the official interview day invites have not been sent out yet (as the department is still doing prelim interviews) - info from a PhD student for the POI I interviewed with.

Last year these invites went out around January 20th, and the interview day was February 12th - so I'd imagine to expect a timeline similar to this. 

7 minutes ago, aaapal said:

From what I understand, the official interview day invites have not been sent out yet (as the department is still doing prelim interviews) - info from a PhD student for the POI I interviewed with.

Last year these invites went out around January 20th, and the interview day was February 12th - so I'd imagine to expect a timeline similar to this. 

Oh interesting, okay! Are prelim interviews department-wide at Ryerson or do some profs forgo them?

Just now, carlrogersfan98 said:

Oh interesting, okay! Are prelim interviews department-wide at Ryerson or do some profs forgo them?

Umm I think the standard is some sort of prelim interview, BUT that really does depend on the prof. I know last year some profs didn't even invite to the final interview day but did accept students. So, it definitely depends. 

It's all still quite early in the grand scheme of things so don't get all stressed just yet!