2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

14 minutes ago, Drew James said:

For Calgary, is anyone else seeing the 'Final Official Transcript' icon listed on their 'To-Do' List in their application portal?

I had my institution send them the transcript via mail and email well before the application deadline, so I'm not sure why I'm seeing this. I've completed and awarded my degree before sending the transcript, so the checklist shouldn't be showing up as incomplete...

I applied to Calgary and did contact the department about this ahead of applications. They assured me that you do not need to have your final official transcript in unless you are accepted. As long as you have an official transcript there, you should be good! They said submitting an official transcript early just streamlines the process, should you be accepted. 

To answer your question though, I sent my official transcript ahead of the deadline as well (in addition to my unofficial one) and it's showing as incomplete on my to-do list as well. However, given what I said above, I don't think that this is too big of a problem (at least I hope it's not ?)

34 minutes ago, Drew James said:

For Calgary, is anyone else seeing the 'Final Official Transcript' icon listed on their 'To-Do' List in their application portal?

I had my institution send them the transcript via mail and email well before the application deadline, so I'm not sure why I'm seeing this. I've completed and awarded my degree before sending the transcript, so the checklist shouldn't be showing up as incomplete...

No, this went away roughly a week after I requested my institution send them a copy of my transcript. Can you email the email listed and confirm? Due to shipping issues with COVID, I'd imagine they are far more flexible on this than previous years. 

2 minutes ago, CateFace said:

No, this went away roughly a week after I requested my institution send them a copy of my transcript. Can you email the email listed and confirm? Due to shipping issues with COVID, I'd imagine they are far more flexible on this than previous years. 

Also, what a poster earlier in the thread said, that the official transcript isn't needed yet so it is ok. 

Other question to Calgary applicants, did a "notices" section appear on your home dashboard today? I swear it was not there yesterday...I applied to two programs at Calgary though, could very well be getting a rejection letter in there for one of them soon or it means absolutely nothing, or I was just oblivious to it before. 

3 minutes ago, CateFace said:

Also, what a poster earlier in the thread said, that the official transcript isn't needed yet so it is ok. 

Other question to Calgary applicants, did a "notices" section appear on your home dashboard today? I swear it was not there yesterday...I applied to two programs at Calgary though, could very well be getting a rejection letter in there for one of them soon or it means absolutely nothing, or I was just oblivious to it before. 

I have a notices section there but I haven't really been checking the portal so I'm not sure if it was there previously. 

Edited by Terelia
spelling

4 minutes ago, Terelia said:

I have a notices section there but I haven't really been checking the portal so I'm not sure if it was there previously. 

I may just be desperate for communication. Yesterday I reached out to an applicant from a previous year asking if there was a section for emails or letters to come through for acceptance or rejection because I had no idea where in the portal that would go, but this really may be an oblivious moment for me and I am just that hopeful for some kind of correspondence lol! 

51 minutes ago, CateFace said:

I may just be desperate for communication. Yesterday I reached out to an applicant from a previous year asking if there was a section for emails or letters to come through for acceptance or rejection because I had no idea where in the portal that would go, but this really may be an oblivious moment for me and I am just that hopeful for some kind of correspondence lol! 

Join the club lol! I haven't heard from any schools yet so I'm desperate as well hahahah :)

56 minutes ago, CateFace said:

I think the notices section has always been there, just with nothing in it haha. When you click on "my application" and "status" there's a section for admission decision, but I'm not sure if there would be info anywhere else as well. I haven't applied to Calgary before, but when I applied to other programs I didn't get a rejection notification until March or April, even when I hadn't received an interview etc. But maybe some programs send rejection notices earlier (it would probably save us some stress if they did!) 

1 hour ago, Drew James said:

Mine is still there even though they were sent way before the deadline - I emailed the admin team about it earlier this week to ask if they've been received or if I should re-send them, but I haven't received a response yet! 

4 minutes ago, emsmith said:

I think the notices section has always been there, just with nothing in it haha. When you click on "my application" and "status" there's a section for admission decision, but I'm not sure if there would be info anywhere else as well. I haven't applied to Calgary before, but when I applied to other programs I didn't get a rejection notification until March or April, even when I hadn't received an interview etc. But maybe some programs send rejection notices earlier (it would probably save us some stress if they did!) 

ok I'm chalking this up to my own powerful dissonance on this! I check the status all the time too, I'm fairly sure I'd receive an email for an interview or open house thing long before an admission, but alas the brain is powerful in convincing myself of whatever narrative fits what I'm hoping for! 

2 minutes ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

School: University of British Columbia (Van) 

Type: Clinical Masters

Date of invite: 1/8/2021

Type of invite: Email from POI invited to recruitment weekend

Interview date(s): Early February

DM for POI: Yes 

Ah congrats!! I love seeing these notices, you must be thrilled !

5 minutes ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

Congrats!!! Also appreciate your signature so adding as well!!

7 minutes ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

Congrats, that’s incredible!!! 

6 minutes ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

Congrats!! You should be so proud with all these interviews!! I didn't apply to this school but I'm pretty curious, any idea of what a recruitment weekend entails during covid times? 

9 minutes ago, psych51038 said:

Congrats!! You should be so proud with all these interviews!! I didn't apply to this school but I'm pretty curious, any idea of what a recruitment weekend entails during covid times? 

This POI said their weekend will include group information sessions, meeting with other faculty members, and meeting with graduate students. But they said a full itinerary will come out soon!

3 hours ago, CateFace said:

I completely understand how you're feeling! It's so hard to wait on receiving news. Although, it might help to know that communication between the programs and applicants to inform of interviews, etc. are done through email. Most, if not all, portals will only be updated if you receive an offer of admission (a formal letter indicating a funding package, etc) or a rejection letter. For clinical psych programs, those are communicated after an interview process. I am not aware of any clinical programs in Canada that make offers without interviewing applicants. I may be wrong on this as I've heard anecdotally that UAlberta's school/clinical program may do so, and way long ago on the results page someone said they received an offer from McGill without an interview.  Virtually none of my portals changed throughout the entire cycle until the end, March/April. I would make sure to check your spam folders and other folders in your email inbox for communication! :) 

And just a heads up, for Calgary's clinical program, the program coordinator sends invites en masse to everyone on one specific day with the POI cc'd. Historically it has been on the first/second week of Jan.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Psych1313

12 minutes ago, Psych1313 said:

And just a heads up, for Calgary's clinical program, the program coordinator sends invites en masse to everyone on one specific day with the POI cc'd. Historically it has been on the first/second week of Jan.

Hope that helps!

This is true of the experimental program as well (if there's anyone here who applied to experimental).

Invitations were sent out on January 10th last year, but like most other schools, UCalgary got a TON of applications this year. Don't be surprised if invitations are sent out on the later side.

22 minutes ago, Psych1313 said:

I completely understand how you're feeling! It's so hard to wait on receiving news. Although, it might help to know that communication between the programs and applicants to inform of interviews, etc. are done through email. Most, if not all, portals will only be updated if you receive an offer of admission (a formal letter indicating a funding package, etc) or a rejection letter. For clinical psych programs, those are communicated after an interview process. I am not aware of any clinical programs in Canada that make offers without interviewing applicants. I may be wrong on this as I've heard anecdotally that UAlberta's school/clinical program may do so, and way long ago on the results page someone said they received an offer from McGill without an interview.  Virtually none of my portals changed throughout the entire cycle until the end, March/April. I would make sure to check your spam folders and other folders in your email inbox for communication! :) 

Hope that helps!

I keep checking the portal for a rejection notice, likely not the best approach. Each email ding from my phone makes my heart leap - I’m sure we are all feeling this way. What a rollercoaster! 

For anyone applying to McMaster, PNB department was recently investigated in response to several sexual assault charges against a few faculty and grad students. A law firm independently reviewed the department culture. Interesting read and the dept is defs taking steps to address their issues. 

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-region/2020/12/03/review-uncovered-systemic-and-cultural-issues-at-mcmasters-psychology-department.html

4 hours ago, coffeeinmyveins said:

You're crushing it!! Do you mind PMing who your POI is?