2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

20 hours ago, Psychologystudent2021 said:

Hey there! I’m not 100% sure on the answer but when I contacted the Graduate Program Administrator they said professors will be contacting students throughout January. That being said, I know some people have already been contacted for their second interview so I’m not sure where interviews are at overall. Sorry this wasn’t overly insightful, just wanted to share what I know 

So from what I understand, they're doing second interviews separate from their "visiting day" - so those would be the 'clinical interviews'. I do believe they are working through and finalizing lists for formal invites still --- not sure if this helps anyone at all 

20 minutes ago, aaapal said:

So from what I understand, they're doing second interviews separate from their "visiting day" - so those would be the 'clinical interviews'. I do believe they are working through and finalizing lists for formal invites still --- not sure if this helps anyone at all 

This does help, thank you! I'm just a bit confused, is their process informal interview -> clinical interview -> visiting day where they are narrowing down each time (so then, for example, not having an informal interview would mean you couldn't end up on the shortlist)? And do you know if everyone who had a clinical interview go to visiting day?

Edited by psychapplicant2021

Just now, psychapplicant2021 said:

This does help, thank you! I'm just a bit confused, is their process informal interview -> clinical interview -> visiting day where they are narrowing down each time (so then, for example, not having an informal interview would mean you couldn't end up on the shortlist)? Or does everyone who had a clinical interview go to visiting day?

That one I'm not 100% sure of. This year's process is much different than last year's - last year you would have an informal interview, then formal invite to visiting day where you'd have a clinical interview, lab interview, and POI interview. 

This time it seems like it's your informal, then the clinical, and then you get an invite to visiting day? Honestly it's all very different so... uncharted territory haha 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:38 AM, Leashy said:

I am currently in the Counselling Psych program at McGill. I did have an interview last year and was accepted into the program early March. if you have more questions, let me know

Thanks, this helps!

32 minutes ago, aaapal said:

That one I'm not 100% sure of. This year's process is much different than last year's - last year you would have an informal interview, then formal invite to visiting day where you'd have a clinical interview, lab interview, and POI interview. 

This time it seems like it's your informal, then the clinical, and then you get an invite to visiting day? Honestly it's all very different so... uncharted territory haha 

I had an informal interview this week with my POI at Ryerson. They said they would create a shortlist from there and invite those people to Virtual Interview Day. Not sure if I should be expecting to hear back for a formal interview. Just curious, in case I do, how would the formal interview differ? My informal interview was pretty in depth and lasted almost an hour. What else could be asked in the formal interview? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :) 

11 minutes ago, egyptianintoronto said:

does anyone know the status with York? I still haven’t heard anything back at all and I am not sure if I should lose hope on hearing back 

It's still too early for York. I don't believe they have sent out any interview invites yet. I would expect to hear back within the next couple of weeks.

14 minutes ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

This does help, thank you! I'm just a bit confused, is their process informal interview -> clinical interview -> visiting day where they are narrowing down each time (so then, for example, not having an informal interview would mean you couldn't end up on the shortlist)? And do you know if everyone who had a clinical interview go to visiting day?

13 minutes ago, aaapal said:

This is what it sounds like is happening this year. Although, profs are on their own timelines for scheduling prelims, and even the secondary interviews are happening at different times. That being said, it seems like they want all interviews be finished before the visiting day.

From what I can tell, POI's had a semi-short list of applicants that they conducted prelims with, a subset of those applicants made it to the clinical interviews, but the clinical interviews are not used to determine whether you will get an invite to the visiting day. It seems that was up to the POI (unless there are some major red flags that are revealed in the clinical interview–which is probably rare). The clinical interview was also conducted to assess fit with the program, and it sounds like applicants had very different experiences for their secondary interviews (some unstructured, some very clinical oriented with many questions). 

Lastly, I have heard that in previous years some profs don't participate in the "visiting day", and I am not sure if this is still the case or where to find out that information regarding your prospective POI, or how that would change the timeline.

14 minutes ago, egyptianintoronto said:

does anyone know the status with York? I still haven’t heard anything back at all and I am not sure if I should lose hope on hearing back 

Pretty sure they havent even completed their shortlist

12 minutes ago, UroboroS said:

This is what it sounds like is happening this year. Although, profs are on their own timelines for scheduling prelims, and even the secondary interviews are happening at different times. That being said, it seems like they want all interviews be finished before the visiting day.

From what I can tell, POI's had a semi-short list of applicants that they conducted prelims with, a subset of those applicants made it to the clinical interviews, but the clinical interviews are not used to determine whether you will get an invite to the visiting day. It seems that was up to the POI (unless there are some major red flags that are revealed in the clinical interview–which is probably rare). The clinical interview was also conducted to assess fit with the program, and it sounds like applicants had very different experiences for their secondary interviews (some unstructured, some very clinical oriented with many questions). 

Lastly, I have heard that in previous years some profs don't participate in the "visiting day", and I am not sure if this is still the case or where to find out that information regarding your prospective POI, or how that would change the timeline.

Yeah that's the understanding I'm getting as well!

Edited by aaapal

Regarding Ryerson Visiting Day, I guess my question is if in the past interviews would have taken place on this day but this year POIs had their interviews prior to Visiting Day, then how does Visiting Day change the POIs decision on who to make an offer to? Is it possible they have already identified their top choice(s) but just invited multiple people to the Visiting Day in case their top choice rejects the offer? 

Just now, T.O.hopeful said:

Regarding Ryerson Visiting Day, I guess my question is if in the past interviews would have taken place on this day but this year POIs had their interviews prior to Visiting Day, then how does Visiting Day change the POIs decision on who to make an offer to? Is it possible they have already identified their top choice(s) but just invited multiple people to the Visiting Day in case their top choice rejects the offer? 

Good question. After visiting day, it is unclear how decisions are made. From what I know, visiting day has no bearing on admissions decisions. It is like an orientation of the program, etc. After all interviews have been conducted, I think (but I'm not 100% sure) it's a committee decision with POI's input weighted heavily. At this point faculty priority would come into play, such as who has first pick at taking on a student. And yes, I think the short-lists are incase top selected applicants decline their offers.

54 minutes ago, admissionsrhard said:

Hi! What is going on with Windsor? One person heard from adult clinical and no one has heard from child or neuro?? Seems kind of strange.

So I've been told that the interview invites have already been sent out. It seems that if you did not get one you were not shortlisted. 

22 minutes ago, admissionsrhard said:

So I've been told that the interview invites have already been sent out. It seems that if you did not get one you were not shortlisted. 

Can I ask where you heard that from? I would be surprised if Windsor sent out all/most of their invitations. Just looking at the numbers, Windsor accepts a relatively larger cohort each year (~12) and yet only 1 person has posted an invitation on the forum or results page so far. Programs that tend to accept smaller cohorts (~6-8), like UCalgary and UVic, have quite a few invitation notifications listed here. I would think there would be more invitations posted for Windsor if they sent out ~30 invitations, that's how many were invited last year. This is just my train of thought! Would love to hear if you or anyone else knows anything more!

29 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Also wondering this 

30 minutes ago, hopefulcandi said:

Hi! Has anyone heard back from Guelph? Does anyone know what their interview process is like?

I interviewed at Guelph a couple years ago (pre-pandemic obv so take this with a grain of salt!). It was an interview day which included a tour of the lab for your POI, an interview with the POI, an interview with another faculty member, lunch/Q&A with current students (they started with everyone together then split off into lab groups), and a general Q&A session with some people from the department. In that year (2019) the interview was on Feb 1, with invites being sent ~one week before and decisions for acceptances/waitlists being a week after and then I'm guessing rejections around then too? Hope that helps!

Edited by mphxpsych

1 hour ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Can I ask where you heard that from? I would be surprised if Windsor sent out all/most of their invitations. Just looking at the numbers, Windsor accepts a relatively larger cohort each year (~12) and yet only 1 person has posted an invitation on the forum or results page so far. Programs that tend to accept smaller cohorts (~6-8), like UCalgary and UVic, have quite a few invitation notifications listed here. I would think there would be more invitations posted for Windsor if they sent out ~30 invitations, that's how many were invited last year. This is just my train of thought! Would love to hear if you or anyone else knows anything more!

I was told by @Itsnotyaboi

Edited by admissionsrhard

School: Ryerson University

Program: Clinical Psychology, MA.

Interview type: Visiting Day on Feb 8th, following clinical interview, from program coordinator

Date of Invite: January 29th, 2021

Happy to share POI if you are interested!

Edited by Hope466