Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

1 hour ago, AlexaS said:

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how valuable Education Assistant experience is for social work? I am thinking of jobs to apply for if I do not get into any programs and it is difficult to find social work related experiences without a BSW. Thanks!

I got in to the very competitive 2-year MSW online at Laurier because I was an educational assistant. It is very valuable experience for applications. 

Just now, ErinCM said:

I got in to the very competitive 2-year MSW online at Laurier because I was an educational assistant. It is very valuable experience for applications. 

Thank you, that is very helpful and congrats!

12 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Oh no! Is the platform glitching?

(Past and future) U of T student here, ACORN does that all the time. If you're having problems after entering your UTOR (Or Join) ID and password, try to type acorn.utoronto.ca/sws in the address bar on the same page and refresh. That should do the trick.

3 hours ago, tjo said:

Oh wow! Honestly, U of T and York (2-year) let me know I was waitlisted in early April (which I was on until September...). I didn't find out about the Post-Degree BSW until the end of April. It was so hard waiting! Sending you love!

Thanks so much! Fingers crossed, the waiting game is no fun! 

47 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

I am a non-U of T student so I have no idea how to access it!

I am not a U of T student either. They should have sent you an email with your JoinID after you applied in the fall that explains how to get it set up. Maybe check you junk folder? Best of luck!!!

Edited by MacaroniGirl

Hi everyone! 

Congratulations to all who have gotten accepted, and good luck to those still waiting to hear back!! you got this :). 

I have been accepted to U of T's advanced standing program, and I just wanted to offer some insight to those looking to apply for the 2 year program (for those who don't have a BSW) as I was in the same boat last year. I applied last year to the 2 year MSW and I was waitlisted.  I also applied to lakeheads 1 year accelerated BSW, which i got accepted to. I find that many people do not know about this program, so I wanted to tell you about it as there are other ways to get your MSW!! Lakeheads program is open to those who have a bachelors degree in a field similar to social work. I had my degree in sociology so I was able to apply. The program is VERY fast tracked and sometimes difficult to keep up with, but SO worth it. I am still in the program as it runs until May or so, but with this degree I was able to get accepted to U of T's advanced standing. Many of my peers in the program were also accepted to their top choice advanced standing programs. I highly recommend applying to Lakehead's 1 year BSW for those who do not have their BSW and are applying to the 2 year MSW's!

Hope this is helpful for some of you! : ) 

1 minute ago, ULSW123 said:

Hi everyone! 

Congratulations to all who have gotten accepted, and good luck to those still waiting to hear back!! you got this :). 

I have been accepted to U of T's advanced standing program, and I just wanted to offer some insight to those looking to apply for the 2 year program (for those who don't have a BSW) as I was in the same boat last year. I applied last year to the 2 year MSW and I was waitlisted.  I also applied to lakeheads 1 year accelerated BSW, which i got accepted to. I find that many people do not know about this program, so I wanted to tell you about it as there are other ways to get your MSW!! Lakeheads program is open to those who have a bachelors degree in a field similar to social work. I had my degree in sociology so I was able to apply. The program is VERY fast tracked and sometimes difficult to keep up with, but SO worth it. I am still in the program as it runs until May or so, but with this degree I was able to get accepted to U of T's advanced standing. Many of my peers in the program were also accepted to their top choice advanced standing programs. I highly recommend applying to Lakehead's 1 year BSW for those who do not have their BSW and are applying to the 2 year MSW's!

Is this program online or in person?

Just now, AMD_XO said:

Is this program online or in person?

Due to COVID-19, it was online this year. They have 2 locations, one in Orillia and one in Thunder Bay. I was enrolled in the Orillia campus. If im not wrong, normally it is in person for the first semester, then you are able to do your placement where you'd like (doesn't have to be in Orillia, I did my placement in Toronto), so I believe the second half of the semester is online regardless (but i'm not 100% sure about this!). 

2 minutes ago, ULSW123 said:

Hi everyone! 

That's super helpful! I'm just finishing up my undergrad right now at Waterloo in their Social Development Studies program which encompasses soc, psych and social work. I decided to take my chances applying to the 2 year MSW at UofT, and then I also applied to the BSW at Waterloo which is similar to Lakehead's fast tracked program as the BSW at Waterloo runs for 10 months and includes a placement for the duration of the 10 months. Of course I would prefer getting into the MSW at UofT, however, thought applying to the BSW as a backup would be a good idea in case I don't get into UofT. Maybe that way I'd have a better shot at getting in next year with a BSW if I don't get in this year. Got my offer for the BSW today, but hoping UofT lets us know soon so that I know what I'm getting into! 

If you're in the progress of completing a BSW, you're still able to apply to the advanced standing program? It's good to know for next year in case I don't get into the 2yr program this year! 

8 minutes ago, ULSW123 said:

Hi everyone! 

Hi there, thanks for sharing this! I was wondering how much experience majority of the people in the program have? I applied this year for the program and am waiting to hear back!

Just now, coffeegirl20 said:

That's super helpful! I'm just finishing up my undergrad right now at Waterloo in their Social Development Studies program which encompasses soc, psych and social work. I decided to take my chances applying to the 2 year MSW at UofT, and then I also applied to the BSW at Waterloo which is similar to Lakehead's fast tracked program as the BSW at Waterloo runs for 10 months and includes a placement for the duration of the 10 months. Of course I would prefer getting into the MSW at UofT, however, thought applying to the BSW as a backup would be a good idea in case I don't get into UofT. Maybe that way I'd have a better shot at getting in next year with a BSW if I don't get in this year. Got my offer for the BSW today, but hoping UofT lets us know soon so that I know what I'm getting into! 

If you're in the progress of completing a BSW, you're still able to apply to the advanced standing program? It's good to know for next year in case I don't get into the 2yr program this year! 

This is exactly what I did. I was in SDS and did their 1 year BSW. I had applied to it as well as UofT 2 year MSW. I was rejected from UofT but did the BSW at Waterloo. I think it really helped as now I have been accepted to both Toronto and Laurier advanced standing (funny enough, I was waitlisted at Waterloo). 

If you're currently in your BSW you can apply to advanced standing programs, you'll just need to submit your transcripts and maintain a certain average to hold your spot if you are accepted into a program.

Just now, coffeegirl20 said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Yes if you are in the progress of completing your BSW you are able to apply to the advanced standing program! If accepted, you have to send in your final transcript once you graduate! I also recommend sending in your updated transcripts, U of T application was due in December, so I only had my unofficial transcripts for my summer grades. After the winter semester was completed I emailed them my updated transcripts as well which included my winter grades! 

Good luck, hope you hear from U of T soon!! :)