12 hours ago, corinthians1614 said:

I'm in the 2020 McGill cohort and got off the waitlist quite late in the summer (I think around July)! I would say don't discount the possibility of moving up on the waitlist and potentially getting offered a spot. I also feel like it's better not knowing your exact position on the waitlist, because good news can come when you least expect it! :)

Thank you for this information, and congrats on making it in! Would you mind if I messaged you to ask you a few questions about your experience at McGill so far? If not I completely understand :)

Thanks!

On 3/19/2021 at 2:11 PM, MiaSLP said:

Does anyone know anything about the movement of McGill’s waitlist? I’m pretty shocked there’s only 20/30 people on it compared to Western who has 100 on their list. I’m assuming there isn’t much movement ?

Do you know for sure if Western has 100? I know it's been an assumption tossed around since there are four quadrants, but from what I have heard plus what Janet has said in the past, they don't give out information about waitlists beyond what quadrant we are in. I'm just curious - this waiting game is not fun and it's testing my patience hahah I wish you all the best with your applications! :) 

19 minutes ago, Luck26 said:

Does anyone know how schools send out their acceptance/rejection notifications. Do the schools email you like McGill? or do they update your school portal or the ORPAS portal?

UBC, UA and Dal usually email based on what I've heard from current students. I think Ontario schools just update your portal but not 100% sure

2 minutes ago, neuroling said:

UBC, UA and Dal usually email based on what I've heard from current students. I think Ontario schools just update your portal but not 100% sure

Thanks! I mean I will definitely be checking all portals obsessively but it's nice to know how schools normally do things. 

5 hours ago, Luck26 said:

Thanks! I mean I will definitely be checking all portals obsessively but it's nice to know how schools normally do things. 

For sure. It helps that there's only a 24h window in which Western/Mac/UofT will post their acceptances (although I've been checking anyways for some reason lol)

On 3/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, speechie97 said:

Do you know for sure if Western has 100? I know it's been an assumption tossed around since there are four quadrants, but from what I have heard plus what Janet has said in the past, they don't give out information about waitlists beyond what quadrant we are in. I'm just curious - this waiting game is not fun and it's testing my patience hahah I wish you all the best with your applications! :) 

I believe last year a current student at Western shared that info! I could be completely wrong!!!

On 3/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Luck26 said:

I actually found out last year all through email right away. The portals didn’t update right away! 

1 hour ago, MiaSLP said:

I actually found out last year all through email right away. The portals didn’t update right away! 

What do you mean by right away? Like did you get an email right at 12 am April 1st. 

Just now, onaspeechcrayz said:

What do you mean by right away? Like did you get an email right at 12 am April 1st. 

I got an email from Western at 12:03am on April 1st. I heard back from UofT that morning at 8am I believe. The portals hadn’t updated at these times 

2 minutes ago, MiaSLP said:

I got an email from Western at 12:03am on April 1st. I heard back from UofT that morning at 8am I believe. The portals hadn’t updated at these times 

Interesting! I heard some people heard from UofT and Mac at 12 am! So I think its different for everyone. 

Just now, onaspeechcrayz said:

Interesting! I heard some people heard from UofT and Mac at 12 am! So I think its different for everyone. 

might also depend on whether you get rejected/accepted/waitlisted! were the acceptances at 12am?

2 minutes ago, MiaSLP said:

might also depend on whether you get rejected/accepted/waitlisted! were the acceptances at 12am?

Yes seems like it's only the acceptances. I don't get why they cant just tell everyone at the same time. But who knows how it actually works. 

General question - If I'm interested in the field of voice, does anyone know which schools are most geared towards that? I'm interested in any schools (even abroad), in case I do end up needing to re-apply next year

1 minute ago, neuroling said:

General question - If I'm interested in the field of voice, does anyone know which schools are most geared towards that? I'm interested in any schools (even abroad), in case I do end up needing to re-apply next year

When you say voice do you mean singing and voice training?

Just now, Luck26 said:

When you say voice do you mean singing and voice training?

Yep! Singing, gender affirmation, rehab, that sort of thing :) I know that it's a competitive area within the field and you also need additional training, but curious if any of the programs themselves are geared towards it 

2 hours ago, neuroling said:

Yep! Singing, gender affirmation, rehab, that sort of thing :) I know that it's a competitive area within the field and you also need additional training, but curious if any of the programs themselves are geared towards it 

I don't know how much their program focuses on it, but at UofA's OASIS conference in the fall, they had a speaker who specializes in voice therapy, and she did her Master's there. This is her website if you're interested! https://www.sablechan.com/

6 minutes ago, UnderLing21 said:

I don't know how much their program focuses on it, but at UofA's OASIS conference in the fall, they had a speaker who specializes in voice therapy, and she did her Master's there. This is her website if you're interested! https://www.sablechan.com/

That's super helpful, thank you!

4 hours ago, neuroling said:

I'm a first-year student at Western so I can touch on our program a bit. We have a great speech science course in our first term that talks a lot about pitch, resonance, breath, etc. and has a sister clinical applications course where we practice analyzing/measuring these things. However, our voice disorders course isn't until second year so I can't really provide information on that. I am finishing my first placement this week at Western's in-house clinic and I just happened to be randomly assigned to a voice client. My clinical supervisor (who I believe is always or at least usually the supervisor for voice clients) is absolutely amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable about working with voice disorders, LSVT, singers/actors, transgender individuals, etc. and she is always happy to share information/answer questions.

I don't believe that you can request certain areas for your first placement but if you do end up at Western and happen to get a voice placement I don't think you would be disappointed.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)