2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Guys do you think that NW will only release rejections from now on? I saw many acceptances already and based on previous years statistics it is highly likely that it will be rejections as they send them later. Does any one of you have an idea about this?? This is SO FRUSTRATING... 

3 hours ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Hi! Thank you. You are likely right, I genuinely thought of IR as more theoretical, because my graduate program in the UK was basically all theory, but US programs seem to be really different. I am thankful for the help!

I just wanna say that there are also plenty of IR programs and Theory programs (in the US and otherwise) that may offer what you're looking for! Don't force yourself to learn quant if it's not your interest. On the other hand, it could be.

It took me a couple application cycles to really identify fit as well, since I don't fall into what is considered traditional/popular areas of research in political science. I'd start by talking with professors you admire and looking up where they went to school.

13 minutes ago, MEESASOBOREDSA said:

Guys do you think that NW will only release rejections from now on? I saw many acceptances already and based on previous years statistics it is highly likely that it will be rejections as they send them later. Does any one of you have an idea about this?? This is SO FRUSTRATING... 

It seems like may programs are releasing their top choices for admissions and rejections for those that clearly wouldn't be considered.  Rather than explicitly saying someone is on the waitlist, there appears to be a 'wait and see' approach for those in neither category from what I have gathered.

1 hour ago, verschiedene said:

I've only seen on this thread that a couple of people have received personalized admissions from their POIs, so I think they might still be in the process of submitting recommended admits to DGS before sending out official letters? Could just be my wishful thinking tho

I think so. When I asked the department directly they said official decisions would come early March. 

Well everyone, I got a rejection from my last viable school today. I still technically have an app outstanding at Yale but I've honestly written myself out of that race given all the other rejections. I'm looking into Master's programs now. For everyone that has gotten accepted this cycle, congrats! You've really earned them given how much smaller the cohort sizes are this year. For everyone else, there is always next cycle and I will likely see you all then. 

17 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Well everyone, I got a rejection from my last viable school today. I still technically have an app outstanding at Yale but I've honestly written myself out of that race given all the other rejections. I'm looking into Master's programs now. For everyone that has gotten accepted this cycle, congrats! You've really earned them given how much smaller the cohort sizes are this year. For everyone else, there is always next cycle and I will likely see you all then. 

Aren't you already a masters student?

16 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Disappointing news but I'm sure your path will lead you to a great program after your M.A.! You've been one of the stalwarts of this forum and I know everyone appreciates your contributions and positive vibes this cycle!

2 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Disappointing news but I'm sure your path will lead you to a great program after your M.A.! You've been one of the stalwarts of this forum and I know everyone appreciates your contributions and positive vibes this cycle!

Absolutely agree, thank you @Mad Scientist Malfrost Regardless of this year, I know for a fact that you'll be a great Professor someday, if only for the positive impact you've had on this community. :)

20 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Thanks, friend. I appreciate it.  Congrats on your admits and I hope you get good news from your three outstanding applications as well! 

15 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Thanks, friend. I appreciate it.  Congrats on your admits and I hope you get good news from your three outstanding applications as well! 

Just want to echo the previous comments.  You're always such a positive presence here.  :)   Also I remember seeing you post about your Goodreads account earlier; you have great taste in books.   I'm assuming you're into critical theory too.  Good luck in the future! 

1 hour ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Good luck with Masters programs. I don’t mean to instil false hope in you, but you really never know what happens with Yale :) 

2 hours ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Will you be back next year? I'll be here then to cheer you on. In the mean time work on those GREs (literally put in 10 months of study for them), perfect your statement and writing, sample and I'm sure you'll be golden next cycle! 

9 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

Will you be back next year? I'll be here then to cheer you on. In the mean time work on those GREs (literally put in 10 months of study for them), perfect your statement and writing, sample and I'm sure you'll be golden next cycle! 

I plan to be back next year! I'm looking into one year Master's programs and I'm contacting the professor I'm doing research for to see if I can stay on full time after I graduate with this first Master's degree. I'm glad a number of people felt my presence was a positive one; if I was able to bolster the morale of even a few of you than I'm happy to have helped. 

Edited by Mad Scientist Malfrost

2 hours ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Wishing you nothing but the best in your next steps!! Thanks for being a really positive force on the forum :) 

10 hours ago, Theory007 said:

Speaking of the GRE, does anyone have any resources they recommend for studying? I already have a practice test book that I work on, but I'm wondering if there's more (like online classes). I'm pretty much out of the running everywhere pending Yale, so now I'm turning to a 2nd master's as well!

17 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Speaking of the GRE, does anyone have any resources they recommend for studying? I already have a practice test book that I work on, but I'm wondering if there's more (like online classes). I'm pretty much out of the running everywhere pending Yale, so now I'm turning to a 2nd master's as well!

I am in a pretty similar boat and am debating if I should try to retake it as well. Not sure where you're looking to improve, but here are some things that helped me.

The that helped me by far the most was an online Princeton Review class (like all things standardized test related, it was a bit pricey).The teacher was wonderful, and having the class helped me hold myself accountable to actually studying. Beyond the class content itself (which varied in how helpful I found it) the class provided me with a lot of practice drills, tests etc. The class definitely helped me a lot, I ended up getting a 164V, 160Q and 6 AW, which going into this cycle I had thought was good enough but apparently not!

Beyond that, I did a TON of flashcards for verbal. I got both of the sets of 500 high frequency cards from Manhattan Test Prep (they were maybe like $20 on Amazon or something) and those were a big help for me on the verbal section. But most people on here are likely to already know at least 2/3 of the words in their "starter" set, so might not be as worth the investment. 

52 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I think nothing helped me personally as much as simply doing a lot of practice questions. There are tons of textbooks online and I just purchased most of them and did the questions. 

59 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

N=1 but I cannot recommend Magoosh enough. I was plateauing around the mid-160s (quant) and after a couple months of Magoosh videos and exercises I nailed a perfect score! The exercises are actually a bit more difficult than the real thing, which I think is good since it gave me a cushion (particularly in terms of time management).

Edited by smug-face
explained better

4 minutes ago, smug-face said:

N=1 but I cannot recommend Magoosh enough. I was plateauing around the mid-160s (quant) and after a couple months of Magoosh videos and exercises I nailed a perfect score! The exercises are actually a bit more difficult than the real thing, which I think is good since it gave me a cushion (particularly in terms of time management).

Did you mostly just use it for Quant? I just looked at the prices and it seems way more affordable than any other option I've seen.

1 hour ago, icemanyeo said:

+ gregmat and vince kotchian-i liked them and think I will get back to them to refresh my gre powers in case this cycle is not nice to me

23 minutes ago, Uberfloweret said:

+ gregmat and vince kotchian-i liked them and think I will get back to them to refresh my gre powers in case this cycle is not nice to me

Gregmat is truly helpful and the videos are all easily accessible on youtube. Good luck

29 minutes ago, btermite said:

Did you mostly just use it for Quant? I just looked at the prices and it seems way more affordable than any other option I've seen.

Yeah, my verbal was already good and I applied to do formal theory so I just did the quant! I heard good things about verbal, too.

I used Manhattan Prep's self-guided online platform and I found it extremely helpful. I really liked the interface and the way it progresses through the material. I only used it for quant though, since I was already scoring well on the verbal. So, I can't speak to the verbal training it provides. The Manhattan practice tests are also much much harder than the actual GRE, which as @smug-face said, is actually helpful. 

My main issue going in was variance--I would get 168 on one practice test and a 159 on another. Manhattan helped me stabilize that and bring up my average so that I was scoring between 166 and 169, depending on how hard the specific test was. And I ended up with a 167. No perfect score, but certainly respectable for someone whose quant background is entirely self-taught.