Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

On 2/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, BL4CKxP3NGU1N said:

CSU had a virtual visit day on Feb 15th and they invited me to it in my admission offer. Missouri's offer didn't say anything about a visit day, but I'm sure you could ask to set up some sort of virtual meeting with a professor and/or current grad students. I did that with Baylor.

@BL4CKxP3NGU1N do you remember how many invited students were there at CSU visit day? Just wondering about the chance of getting accepted later on. 

1 hour ago, StatCramer said:

@BL4CKxP3NGU1N do you remember how many invited students were there at CSU visit day? Just wondering about the chance of getting accepted later on. 

I didn't actually attend the visit day, so I'm not sure how many acceptances CSU has sent out so far. The deadline for accepting the first round offers though is on Monday (the 22nd), so I imagine they will likely send out more offers after that.

48 minutes ago, BL4CKxP3NGU1N said:

I didn't actually attend the visit day, so I'm not sure how many acceptances CSU has sent out so far. The deadline for accepting the first round offers though is on Monday (the 22nd), so I imagine they will likely send out more offers after that.

thanks @BL4CKxP3NGU1N nervously waiting. 

On 2/20/2021 at 2:40 AM, trynagetby said:

Given the fact that they sent the email out as a response to an applicants inquiry without even anonymizing the applicants contact info, I don't think we should expect too much from the department in terms of organization/communication/responsibility lol.

Is this a reflection of the UCLA stats phd program? Anyone know their reputation? Esp with regards to academia futures for their grads. 

Although I can't speak to their academic placements, I am not sure why they are looked down upon here - other than their bad communication with applicants. UCLA is one of the leading institutions for AI and machine learning research (see this link). They have quite a few labs that emphasize the value of statistical inference, e.g. Center for VCLA, StarAI Lab, and the Statistical Machine Learning Lab just to name a few - and students in their stats department often work in these labs due to their interdisciplinary nature.

2 minutes ago, patient512 said:

Although I can't speak to their academic placements, I am not sure why they are looked down upon here - other than their bad communication with applicants. UCLA is one of the leading institutions for AI and machine learning research (see this link). They have quite a few labs that emphasize the value of statistical inference, e.g. Center for VCLA, StarAI Lab, and the Statistical Machine Learning Lab just to name a few - and students in their stats department often work in these labs due to their interdisciplinary nature.

I don't think the program is looked down upon at all, even on this forum.  There have been multiple applicants over the years who have expressed that the program, at least in their admissions, has some organizational/communication problems.  But I don't think anyone doubts that they have some very good people.

24 minutes ago, bayessays said:

I don't think the program is looked down upon at all, even on this forum.  There have been multiple applicants over the years who have expressed that the program, at least in their admissions, has some organizational/communication problems.  But I don't think anyone doubts that they have some very good people.

FWIW the communication woes also extended to UCLA biostat, at least based off my experience last year.

Otherwise good luck to everybody here, can't believe it's already been a year since I went through this pain. You'll all make it :)

On 2/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, BL4CKxP3NGU1N said:

so I sent an email to the department yesterday regarding my application status. They sent me an email this morning stating "We will be sending out offers of admission on a rolling basis between now and May".

Have you heard from Texas A&M yet?

16 minutes ago, kingduck said:

Have you heard from Texas A&M yet?

I haven't heard anything yet, but I know they've sent out several acceptances so far (and some to current MS students at my current institution).

Edited by BL4CKxP3NGU1N

On 2/20/2021 at 9:07 PM, StatB said:

Has anyone received any decision(approval /rejection)  regarding the pre-application made to Statistics PhD program of  Iowa State University?

No I haven't, which is weird...

On 2/20/2021 at 10:07 PM, StatB said:

Has anyone received any decision(approval /rejection)  regarding the pre-application made to Statistics PhD program of  Iowa State University?

14 hours ago, shyburrito said:

No I haven't, which is weird...

I haven't too. Rumors have it that Iowa State does not have enough funding. Probably they are delaying the admission process because of that.

22 hours ago, monteCarlo said:

I haven't too. Rumors have it that Iowa State does not have enough funding. Probably they are delaying the admission process because of that.

Oh. If that is true, it is not a good indication as many of my batchmates are mainly waiting for it. But I know that last time they accepted one of my seniors but later he was asked to defer. So, the funding problem may persists 

4 hours ago, Ryuk said:

@StatB He was asked to defer?? So they suggested that he take a year off? I didn't think that was possible.

AFAIK, he told me something like that. One thing is sure that he was not able to join their program in last Fall. In fact I know that one senior who was accepted by Ohio, was told that there is no fund for the first year.  On the other hand, I could see some of my other seniors joining many other PhD programs in last Fall (of course virtually; i.e. they had to take online classes and, also were doing TA job remotely. They were also getting their stipends without any problem). But as Iowa did not ask him to join so it might be the case that they were lacking funds to host someone virtually, and hence perhaps was waiting till the next Fall so that he can come to campus physically. I do not know if I should use the term "defer" or not as I do not know what conversations went on between him and Iowa. But, he told me that he is expecting to join next year.