35 minutes ago, pkv said:

If you don't mind me asking, which track was that?

Did you get an official acceptance letter? Or were you contacted by POIs?

Epidemiology. I received an email with a link to view my decision. The official acceptance letter was attached.

Anyone accepted/considering UT Houston? I got my acceptance today but was interested in chatting about other people’s experiences with the acceptance process. Did people have interviews? Did anyone receive funding? They say you have to commit before they’ll tell you about funding, which seems fishy. Anyone know if they’re typically able to provide funding to most students?

1 hour ago, CatDog1122 said:

Anyone accepted/considering UT Houston? I got my acceptance today but was interested in chatting about other people’s experiences with the acceptance process. Did people have interviews? Did anyone receive funding? They say you have to commit before they’ll tell you about funding, which seems fishy. Anyone know if they’re typically able to provide funding to most students?

Hi, I got accepted there and like you I am very confused and disheartened by their communication and funding options.  I actually accepted just so I could learn about funding, but the answers was "you will learn more about funding during orientation."  Feel free to PM me to discuss further!

I was also told that GA/TAs for incoming students are very limited as faculty want to work with established students.

Edited by Pennk

On 1/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, linnbear said:

It seems like a lot of people have already heard back from UNC Epi for interview requests and some even have acceptances. UNC was my first choice and I haven't heard anything. I'm assuming it' a no go for me. :(

Just check the email and find I'm admitted into Brown EPI PhD Program! Five years full funding + health insurance + etc.!

So excited!

13 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

You're right to think this is fishy. I didn't apply to this school for this very reason - they seemed iffy on the funding, especially for international students. For comparison, Tulane was very upfront with me on the lack of funding before I made a decision. The head of the program, some faculty, and the admissions coordinator emailed me to let me know (with regrets). 

18 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

I got accepted as well. I was told during the interview that since it's a state university, they don't have full funding available but if you get a fellowship/TAship, you will be qualified for in-state tuition. I agree that it's fishy and I think they will miss many great candidates due to this specific reason. Maybe you can find out more from current students. 

On 2/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, lws007168 said:

Same here. But I've seen a post on the result page saying that he or she got an interview. Hope that it's not a bad sign for us.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, vitorstardelli said:

Anyone else applying for the Mental Health PhD at Hopkins? Didn't find a specific topic for that and haven't heard one word from them...

I applied to the Mental Health program and spoke with a faculty member over the phone about 2-3 weeks ago. It was a general conversation about my research interests and their program structure. I haven't heard anything since then so I assume they are still processing their applicants! 

30 minutes ago, JenJen1 said:

I got accepted as well. I was told during the interview that since it's a state university, they don't have full funding available but if you get a fellowship/TAship, you will be qualified for in-state tuition. I agree that it's fishy and I think they will miss many great candidates due to this specific reason. Maybe you can find out more from current students. 

I was accepted without an interview, so I didn't get to ask the question myself, but did they indicate a timeline for finding out about fellowships?  I applied for the Scholarship deadline, but have received no information about what that even means.  Yeah, this school is my failsafe at this point.  I love Austin so much that I am willing to work full/part-time and take evening classes where available until I can learn more about funding.  That is if everything else falls through!

19 minutes ago, storm_jonas said:

Apparently they plan to fill 14 spots at JHU-Epi. Not sure how they'll be distributed by track (it changes year to year).

Thanks! Do you happen to know how many people they accepted or how many they have accepted in the past?