13 minutes ago, linnbear said:

Anyone else still not hear from ANYWHERE for Epi? So far:

Rejection: Emory 

No word from: UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA, Berkeley, BU, Brown, JHU, Columbia

I'm starting to think this application cycle was a complete bust for me... 

Haven't heard from Columbia either-- from looking at past cycles, they might be sending invitation invites by the end of this week?

On 2/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, linnbear said:

Ditto! I only have gotten one rejection from UWashington. 

still waiting to hear back from: Columbia, NYU, Rutgers, Harvard, U Michigan, UCLA 

Have a feeling I’ll be back on these forms  next year :huh::wacko:

41 minutes ago, linnbear said:

@linnbear Haven't heard from UNC or JHU either. Just curious, what's your concentration within epi? 

To my fellow Hopkins HPM wait-listers -- was anyone provided with a wait list ranking? I saw on the results page that someone reported being wait-listed with rank #1 for HSR. I applied to a different track (HPP) but my email/online portal status doesn't provide a rank. I'm going to take that to assume that my application isn't in the top 1-2 wait list slots, but am curious if others received info about their ranking on the wait list, or if all of us who aren't in the #1 slot are just waiting blind.

8 minutes ago, eastbywestcoast said:

To my fellow Hopkins HPM wait-listers -- was anyone provided with a wait list ranking? I saw on the results page that someone reported being wait-listed with rank #1 for HSR. I applied to a different track (HPP) but my email/online portal status doesn't provide a rank. I'm going to take that to assume that my application isn't in the top 1-2 wait list slots, but am curious if others received info about their ranking on the wait list, or if all of us who aren't in the #1 slot are just waiting blind.

I was wait-listed today but no rank was provided for HSR :( I saw that post on results page too and wanted to know the same thing, if anyone else was given a ranking

2 minutes ago, hpm2018_1 said:

Harvard and Yale silence on Health Policy is killing me. Has anyone heard anything from these schools?

Different program but silence from Yale for me too- They just completed admissions for MPHs so may just now be getting to PhDs. Just a theory :) 

6 minutes ago, west_k said:

Different program but silence from Yale for me too- They just completed admissions for MPHs so may just now be getting to PhDs. Just a theory :) 

ha! I hope your theory is correct. Acceptance or Rejection, anything is better than this dead silence..

1 hour ago, linnbear said:

I have not heard back from UNC, BU, or Brown. I was rejected from JHU (infectious disease track).

UNC basically told me that notifications could come anytime from mid-January onward and that they were hoping to have everything done by March 1st, as they moved their application deadline up this year. I'm pretty sure that they send out a few acceptances here and there and not just at once.

I think Brown already had their prospective student day, so under most circumstances that probably isn't a good sign for us. Per the survey, I think BU's prospective student day is coming up.

Best of luck

1 hour ago, linnbear said:

Not just you!

Rejections: Pittsburgh, Washington

Interview: Michigan

Nada: Berkeley, Hopkins, Columbia, SLU, Drexel - though at this point I’m assuming no contact feom Hopkins and Drexel is pretty telling 

On 2/4/2018 at 5:48 AM, xoxo123 said:

Yes, I applied to the health systems track. I hope you are right in that every track has its own timeline! Otherwise the fact that I havent heard back is a bad sign! If you don't mind me asking, which track did you apply to?

I applied to social and behavioral interventions. My suspicion is that we're right and everyone has their own process -- but the whole track-within-a-department thing still has me a little confused!

For those curious about Yale, I just received this (somewhat off-putting and blunt) email from the program coordinator for Chronic Disease Epi:

"Thank you for contacting me.

The applicants being interviewed have been contacted.
I do not know anything else about your status at this time."

Anyone else see that as "sorry, better luck next year?" I can handle full honesty. 

12 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

For those curious about Yale, I just received this (somewhat off-putting and blunt) email from the program coordinator for Chronic Disease Epi:

Anyone else see that as "sorry, better luck next year?" I can handle full honesty. 

Ugh- That does sound like Yale. I didn't go there for undergrad or masters but familiar with them enough to know the attitude :rolleyes:

Sorry to say that's probably a rejection for anyone who hasn't heard. Probably don't want to go anywhere that has that attitude anyway

18 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

OMG sounds so cruel to me…

It's like " I cannot officially say it as a rejection but better be prepared" …pat

1 hour ago, CatDog1122 said:

Not just you!

Rejections: Pittsburgh, Washington

Interview: Michigan

Nada: Berkeley, Hopkins, Columbia, SLU, Drexel - though at this point I’m assuming no contact feom Hopkins and Drexel is pretty telling 

I saw someone posted an I nterview invitation from Columbia Epi.I assume no news for me maybe a bad sign…

I reached out to Drexel last week since I cannot attend their "Droctoral Students Day". The program coordinator said that invitation to Droctoral Students Day is not a key component to the admission. They will interview potential candidates in the future. So don't give up :)

50 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

So I followed you and inquired about Yale HPM and got this reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. 
We have started sending out interview invitations.  If you haven’t heard, you likely are not being interviewed.  Sorry.  Good Luck.

Well, this sums up my year.. Don't have any expectations from Harvard HPM since I have not heard anything. 

Rejection from Brown and Yale

Interview at NYU (fingers crossed)

Wait-listed at Johns Hopkins (don't have any expectation since no rank was provided)..

Good luck folks!!

32 minutes ago, light10491 said:

How would you guys sort of rank the following traditional PhD Health Policy & Management degrees?

Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Yale
UCLA
UC Berkeley
Michigan
Brown
UNC Chapel Hill

I haven't seen a formal ranking by discipline within public health but if you haven't seen this before you may want to visit: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings 

30 minutes ago, west_k said:

I haven't seen a formal ranking by discipline within public health but if you haven't seen this before you may want to visit: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings 

US News did an HPM-focused ranking a couple years ago, although most of the programs they ranked are within public affairs / public policy schools, not schools of public health, and they specifically mention masters programs. But, given the interdisciplinary nature of most HPM programs, I think looking at the two rankings lists should provide a pretty decent picture of which schools are among the strongest for HPM (with the usual caveat that U.S. News rankings, or any rankings, should be taken with a grain of salt, etc etc.)

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-public-affairs-schools/health-management-rankings

3 hours ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

OMG sounds so cruel to me…

It's like " I cannot officially say it as a rejection but better be prepared" …pat

I saw someone posted an I nterview invitation from Columbia Epi.I assume no news for me maybe a bad sign…

I reached out to Drexel last week since I cannot attend their "Droctoral Students Day". The program coordinator said that invitation to Droctoral Students Day is not a key component to the admission. They will interview potential candidates in the future. So don't give up :)

Did they say “attendance at” wasn’t a key factor or “invitation to”? I thought their Doctoral Day was their equivalent of an interview so assumed it was pretty important. That’s great news if I was wrong! :)

On 2/5/2018 at 4:28 PM, eastbywestcoast said:

US News did an HPM-focused ranking a couple years ago, although most of the programs they ranked are within public affairs / public policy schools, not schools of public health, and they specifically mention masters programs. But, given the interdisciplinary nature of most HPM programs, I think looking at the two rankings lists should provide a pretty decent picture of which schools are among the strongest for HPM (with the usual caveat that U.S. News rankings, or any rankings, should be taken with a grain of salt, etc etc.)

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-public-affairs-schools/health-management-rankings

What would you guys consider the top 3 PhD HPM programs to be? Sorry I'm just trying to get familiar with the landscape. 

Is it (1) Harvard, (2) Hopkins, (3) WUSTL?

2 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

Did they say “attendance at” wasn’t a key factor or “invitation to”? I thought their Doctoral Day was their equivalent of an interview so assumed it was pretty important. That’s great news if I was wrong! :)

I'm sure it is not an interview event.  Here's what they replied:

"This is not a key component to the admission process, but rather a way for prospective students to learn more about the School, our professor, and students. There is no interview component that day for our program- interviews will be conducted later via phone or Skype for those who advance in the admission process."