Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

On 3/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, kendalldinniene said:

Hey y’all, so with my offer from SMU I’m questioning staying on the waitlists at Loyola and BU. Really their respective attractions are Suzanne Bost and ranking. I’m thinking I’d like to email both and ask some questions that might make my decisions easier. For example: what’s the conference funding like? How easy is it for students to work interdisciplinary tracks? Etc. Do you think this is appropriate for a waitlisted student to do? Thanks in advance.

I asked my questions at Loyola and got a very kind and detailed response, which also let me know I am #1 on the waitlist.  *excitement*

15 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I asked my questions at Loyola and got a very kind and detailed response, which also let me know I am #1 on the waitlist.  *excitement*

This is great news! You (should) have a great chance of being accepted off from the waitlist and it shows that they're interested in you!

29 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Yeah his email was just really lovely. Feels good to be wanted, haha!

this just goes to show how little difference there is between the students who were offered acceptance first and those who are waitlisted. both groups of students are wanted or they would've rejected you. this is also why no one should feel like an imposter if they're accepted off the waitlist. they wouldn't have accepted you if you were lesser in any way.

4 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

this just goes to show how little difference there is between the students who were offered acceptance first and those who are waitlisted. both groups of students are wanted or they would've rejected you. this is also why no one should feel like an imposter if they're accepted off the waitlist. they wouldn't have accepted you if you were lesser in any way.

THIS! I spoke to a DGS for a school I’m waitlisted at, and she said the same thing. Even went as far as to say that it’s “quite arbitrary” what makes someone ultimately accepted or waitlisted. 

3 hours ago, victoriansimpkins said:

I really want to ask what the odds are that I'll be accepted off the funding waitlist at UNL.

can’t hurt to at least ask! or if they have any insight into waitlist movement for funding

4 hours ago, victoriansimpkins said:

I really want to ask what the odds are that I'll be accepted off the funding waitlist at UNL.

Their deadline for accepting (at least for the MA) is this Friday for some reason, so I imagine they would let you know soon!!!

On 3/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, victoriansimpkins said:

this is the exact same boat I'm in right now. I'm still waiting on 2 programs, and losing my shit every second. 

Yessssss.... I’m still waiting to hear from one! Maybe this week :)

Then we’ll just wait.... and wait....

anyone have info about the maryland waitlist? /declining acceptance? of the two schools i'm waitlisted at, it's my first choice (my partner lives in dc) and we're stressin

11 hours ago, sidmeier said:

anyone have info about the maryland waitlist? /declining acceptance? of the two schools i'm waitlisted at, it's my first choice (my partner lives in dc) and we're stressin

I was notified by the DGS when the person in my field accepted their spot (meaning that I would not be getting an acceptance off the waitlist.) I found this very helpful and hope the DGS would do that for other cases so as to not leave people hanging. 

I posted this in the turned down offers thread, but I should probably say it here too because I know there are folks on the University of Delaware waitlist: I turned down PhD offers from Purdue and University of Delaware and removed myself from the waitlists at University of Maryland and Ohio State. Hope that helps! 

Waiting on a waitlist, and was told I might have to wait to know until April 15. Could I realistically wait until April 15 before committing to another program, and tell them on April 15 my decision (when I realize whether I'm off or not)? Or are you expected to let schools know on the 14th? Basically I want to put off accepting as long as possible without being obnoxious. 

5 minutes ago, wildsurmise said:

Waiting on a waitlist, and was told I might have to wait to know until April 15. Could I realistically wait until April 15 before committing to another program, and tell them on April 15 my decision (when I realize whether I'm off or not)? Or are you expected to let schools know on the 14th? Basically I want to put off accepting as long as possible without being obnoxious. 

You could always email the programs and ask for an extension. I do think if you let them know on the 15th that it would be ok.

Is anybody else just waiting on visit weekends to be over so there can be some movement on waitlists? Just me? April 15th cannot come soon enough! Then I can stop constantly jumping at my phone when I get an email just to see it's another coupon from dominos :( 

18 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Is anybody else just waiting on visit weekends to be over so there can be some movement on waitlists? Just me? April 15th cannot come soon enough! Then I can stop constantly jumping at my phone when I get an email just to see it's another coupon from dominos :( 

I just emailed BU with some questions and got a really nice response about enthusiasm for my application and saying movement after the visit day is likely. Fingers crossed for us both!

12 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I just emailed BU with some questions and got a really nice response about enthusiasm for my application and saying movement after the visit day is likely. Fingers crossed for us both!

I'm trying not to stay too hopeful, at least not until the visit is over. I don't want to be disappointed if I don't actually move off of the waitlist ? definitely fingers crossed tho!

7 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Same. Not sure what to expect either. UVA’s visits ended yesterday so does this mean there will be movement this week? I just want to know for sure and move on with my life.

5 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Same. Not sure what to expect either. UVA’s visits ended yesterday so does this mean there will be movement this week? I just want to know for sure and move on with my life.

Unfortunately I feel like even after the visits, people trying to make decisions may also still be on waitlists. I hope some movement does happen but I know in reality I'll probably be waiting til April 15th

I know many faculty members (including myself) who work through Spring Break, but something to keep in mind is that this week is break for lots of schools, so there admissions committees are probably not meeting. (I'm waiting on UConn.) Still checking every 10 seconds, but.

I can offer a bit of anecdotal evidence from last year when it comes to waitlists. I had three waitlists last cycle (along with an acceptance). Waitlist spot #1 came through in the last week of March while the other two literally e-mailed me the evening before the 15th. Unfortunately, I had to hold an acceptance spot while I waited, and I'm sure many people wait out the process with multiple acceptances right up until the bitter end. 

This is all a long way of saying that if schools on your waitlist are your first choice, be prepared and plan to wait until the very last minute. 

1 hour ago, Hermenewtics said:

I can offer a bit of anecdotal evidence from last year when it comes to waitlists. I had three waitlists last cycle (along with an acceptance). Waitlist spot #1 came through in the last week of March while the other two literally e-mailed me the evening before the 15th. Unfortunately, I had to hold an acceptance spot while I waited, and I'm sure many people wait out the process with multiple acceptances right up until the bitter end. 

This is all a long way of saying that if schools on your waitlist are your first choice, be prepared and plan to wait until the very last minute. 

Thank you! Yeah, I noticed a lot of the "accepted from waitlist" results are posted on April 15th exactly! Yikes.

But thank you, it's good to know.