Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Just wanted to add in a note that I applied to Southern Miss (counseling). I'm only applying to one psych program as I'm at an interesting point in my life where I know where I want to end up and can get there one of three ways. I'm also applying to a criminology phd program. 

I'm basically only applying to the two PhDs that are exactly what I'm looking for and if I get in, I can figure out if I want to follow either one of those paths instead of the one I'm currently on. 

If anyone's interested in more of my internal crisis, let me know :)

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE! 

Hi! I realized I made a small error when submitting some of my applications, and I thought this thread would be the best place for advice. I accidentally submitted a CV that omitted one of my publications to a few schools. Do you think I should contact the schools and try to submit the correct CV? The CV I sent has 4 publications instead of 5, so I'm wondering if it will do more harm than good to contact them (i.e. the level of my disorganization will outweigh the benefit of one additional publication). Please let me know your thoughts!

1 hour ago, letmypeoplein said:

Hi! I realized I made a small error when submitting some of my applications, and I thought this thread would be the best place for advice. I accidentally submitted a CV that omitted one of my publications to a few schools. Do you think I should contact the schools and try to submit the correct CV? The CV I sent has 4 publications instead of 5, so I'm wondering if it will do more harm than good to contact them (i.e. the level of my disorganization will outweigh the benefit of one additional publication). Please let me know your thoughts!

If you can, try to call the grad admissions office or the department you are applying to and let them know you uploaded the wrong draft of your CV. I had this very thing happen and 5 out of 6 of the schools I uploaded the wrong version to let me email them the correct draft and replaced it for me. I would start calling now to replace it before the deadline!

17 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

I'm applying to 15, and I am applying to a program (looking at Nebraska-Lincoln) where I am not thrilled about the location; however, I really like what I have learned about their program.

My two cents: I would say that if you think it feasible for yourself and everyone else involved in your application process (letter writers, specifically) you should include that other application in an undesirable location if you really like the program. If you don't find the program attractive or a good fit for you, you shouldn't bother. Better to apply another year and attend a well fit program than end up attending a program you don't really like just for the sake of getting in somewhere.

15 over here as well. I second @PsychWannabee's comments. Locations are all over the place, some are the middle of nowhere, but perfect/ideal matches research and mentor wise ?

42 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

15 over here as well. I second @PsychWannabee's comments. Locations are all over the place, some are the middle of nowhere, but perfect/ideal matches research and mentor wise ?

15 for me too and I agree, you may just end up loving the community and location more than you think! I'm also applying to Nebraska-Lincoln, just have to be optimistic about getting into anywhere, regardless of how strange the place may seem! 

2 hours ago, aaustin said:

Just wanted to add in a note that I applied to Southern Miss (counseling). I'm only applying to one psych program as I'm at an interesting point in my life where I know where I want to end up and can get there one of three ways. I'm also applying to a criminology phd program. 

I'm basically only applying to the two PhDs that are exactly what I'm looking for and if I get in, I can figure out if I want to follow either one of those paths instead of the one I'm currently on. 

If anyone's interested in more of my internal crisis, let me know :)

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE! 

I applied to Southern Miss too and it is probably my top choice! Fingers crossed we both get interviews !

23 minutes ago, LindsayRR6 said:

15 for me too and I agree, you may just end up loving the community and location more than you think! I'm also applying to Nebraska-Lincoln, just have to be optimistic about getting into anywhere, regardless of how strange the place may seem! 

I'm also applying to UNL. Initially I wasn't thrilled about the location, but the more I looked into it, it actually sounds like a neat little city. I also have a few friends from the midwest that have all good things to say about Lincoln :) Just a positive thought if any of us end up in Nebraska ! 

38 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Reading all these posts about Nebraska Lincoln, I had to google their program/see what the hype was about for myself ? Luckily no mentors with my interests, whew! Did my research well I hope lol

I thought I was the only one doing the same thing. Every-time someone applies to a school that everyone raves about I always check with baited breadth to make sure I did not miss a program that could have been a great fit for me. 

21 minutes ago, aokanlawon said:

I thought I was the only one doing the same thing. Every-time someone applies to a school that everyone raves about I always check with baited breadth to make sure I did not miss a program that could have been a great fit for me. 

I just checked and they actually do have someone I would work with. I have about $6 in my account after all these apps, so I won't be applying this year. Definitely on my radar for next year!

On 11/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, EileanDonan said:

I have at least one school with this issue, and I sent my scores over two weeks ago. With the deadline almost here, it's definitely causing some unnecessary grief. I'll be contacting people about it tomorrow.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, liznlex said:

I would call the admission office and follow up.  I had one that happened with and it turned out that GRE scores had been filed with a different grad dept and not attached to my file ! They were quickly found, and my worries of my GRE scores not arriving on time were relieved ! 

Just a follow up on this.. both of the schools I was having issues with were waiting on the system to do its thing on the back end. One of them already showed up online. If you're worried I'd still follow up, though.

Edited by socpsy

51 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Just a follow up on this.. both of the schools I was having issues with were waiting on the system to do its thing on the back end. One of them already showed up online. If you're worried I'd still follow up, though.

Thankfully my missing report showed up, just waiting on the last transcript to be finalized. As far as I'm concerned, things are out of my hands!

16 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

That's odd. I applied there and I don't have any issues. Email: grad-ga@utulsa.edu. They are very responsive.

I figured it out. My app was glitching but once I restarted my laptop it worked again. Moment of panic semi-averted

5 hours ago, kiriamara said:

I figured it out. My app was glitching but once I restarted my laptop it worked again. Moment of panic semi-averted

oooh how strange. sending good vibes to everyone. Hope all your stuff get found before the deadline :D

9 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

This thread is so much more active now and it's great. :)

ikr. It'll get way more active over the next week. die off a bit towards the new year then explode again hahahah

3 hours ago, ImPSYCHED said:

Heads up!

It's my understanding The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is still looking for qualified applicants for 2019.

Strong program with great mentors!

https://www.uab.edu/cas/psychology/graduate/lifespan-developmental

As a third-year student in their Medical/Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, I can attest to this statement :) If anyone is applying to UAB, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program.

Edited by JoePianist

So I was leaving my lab this afternoon, feeling nervous about this entire process of course (with lots of self doubt and worries, having been rejected in the past), and I asked the most high for a sign... moments later I check my e-mail, a habit (heh) and I received my a notification that my supervisor (strongest recommender!!) submitted her letter for my #1 program. ? SO. MANY. FEELINGS.

Edited by checkingmyemail

34 minutes ago, psychtobeme said:

Literally me every morning: "Only X many more days until somebody may look at my application."

If any of these schools could see the number of times I log in to check on my app statuses I'd be in trouble.

1 hour ago, socpsy said:

If any of these schools could see the number of times I log in to check on my app statuses I'd be in trouble.

??? same here. They would probably think I have OCD.

1 hour ago, socpsy said:

1 minute ago, HAC said:

??? same here. They would probably think I have OCD.

Yeah, but have you guys gone back to your email to read responses from POIs to analyze each and every character in case you missed something the first time??? ?

25 minutes ago, psychtobeme said:

Conscientiousness or neuroticism....who knows!

Btw I was looking at the forums for chemistry because my SO is applying for chem PhD programs and I think we're the most neurotic bunch.