Fall 2019 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

6 hours ago, rainydaychai said:

School: University of Alabama

Type: PhD

Date of invite: Dec. 8., 2018

Type of invite: Email from current graduate student of PI inviting me to phone interview with them 

Interview date(s): Sometime this week

Can’t believe I have something to add here so early! Equal parts excited/terrified. 

Congrats on the phone interview! Is this at Tuscaloosa or Birmingham?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, which POIs did you apply to work with there?

16 hours ago, ktwalsh said:

Congrats on the phone interview! Is this at Tuscaloosa or Birmingham?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, which POIs did you apply to work with there?

Would also love to know this!

23 hours ago, rainydaychai said:

I totally didn’t expect it when I opened my email, I didn’t know anyone sent anything on weekends! ? Phone interview tips or commonly asked questions, anyone?

Congratulations! I have interviewed with the University of Alabama Tuscaloosa for their Clinical Psych PhD with a Psych-Law. In my case, during the initial phone interview I was asked to further elaborate on my research interests (when doing this it is important to show your ability to form original thought and come up with your own ideas, i.e., I am interested in continuing research related to X because there are a number of questions I still have. For example does X blah blah blah? And, is what we know about X in population Y generalizable to population Z?" or something like this, you get the idea... just demonstrate that you are able to form your own hypotheses relevant to the research the PI does - this will help show that you truly have an interest in the research being done by the lab and want to contribute in a meaningful way.)

I was also asked questions about where I see myself in the future (academia, practice etc.), I was provided with more in depth information about the types of projects the PI/the lab are doing/tend to do, and given the opportunity to ask questions. We also talked very briefly about what type of mentorship style I am hoping for and what I like to do for fun. The phone interview was only about 15-20 minutes long and it was with a student that was on internship at the time and wouldn't be there on interview day. She was very sweet and helpful and she even told me that one of the main things the PI likes the student to focus on while conducting the initial phone interview is ensuring the applicant truly understands the research going on in the lab. Alabama is a fantastic program with excellent students and faculty, and the program provides great opportunities so congratulations on your interview invite and I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions or want to hear more about my experience interviewing there. Congratulations again!

21 hours ago, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

School: LSU

Type: PhD

Date of invite: December 5, 2018

Type of invite: Call from current student in lab and personalized email from different student in lab 

Interview date(s): Feb. 1, 2019

Can you dm the poi?

On 12/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

Type of invite: Call from current student in lab and personalized email from different student in lab 

would you mind sharing your POI initials?

7 minutes ago, Freud's Mom said:

School: University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Date of invite: December 7, 2018

Type of invite: Personalized email from POI, informal interview

Interview date(s): December 17, 2018

would you mind sharing your POI initials?

On 12/8/2018 at 7:37 PM, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

can you please send me who your poi is?

School: University of Mississippi (Ole Miss)

Date of invite: December 11, 2018

Type of invite: Personalized email from director of clinical training 

Interview Date(s): Feb 1-2, 2019

Feel free to DM me if you would like to know POI.

35 minutes ago, LindsPhD said:

How are you all preparing for interviews?  Studying up on the PI's (and probably most of the department's) research is really all I've got so far.  Any other ideas, tips, resources to check out?

You may be familiar with this, but I thought I would share, just in case. This is just a general guide that I found on the internet, but there is a section on tips for clinical psychology interviews.

Mitch’s Uncensored Advice.pdf

Edited by PsychWannabee

1 hour ago, PsychWannabee said:

You may be familiar with this, but I thought I would share, just in case. This is just a general guide that I found on the internet, but there is a section on tips for clinical psychology interviews.

Mitch’s Uncensored Advice.pdf

I don't know if it's just me, but that link didn't work. Something about permissions.

4 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I don't know if it's just me, but that link didn't work. Something about permissions.

Oops! It was a file from my computer, so that was probably the issue. However, I think this link should work http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf . It's the same document!

Edited by PsychWannabee

1 hour ago, Gaya3C said:

Someone posted about an informal skype interview with a potential mentor at John Jay (for the Psychology and Law program) - could you please PM me your POI's initials?

Thank you!! :) 

Me too please!!