2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

38 minutes ago, GoldenNeuro said:

If you receive an acceptance, are you usually given a deadline for confirming or denying admission? I have some interviews in late Feb so I’m just wondering what would happen if a school gave me an acceptance in January but I hadn’t interviewed at all my programs yet. 

The standard decision date is April 15 (I’m pretty sure this applies to all PhD programs, but could be wrong), so you have plenty of time! Def don’t feel pressured to respond right away with anything other than acknowledgment/appreciation for the offer if you need time to think about it. But if you know you won’t go to a school you’ve gotten an acceptance to, it’s nice to let them know ASAP so they can offer your spot to someone else :)

On 1/23/2021 at 2:35 AM, just_a_neuro_geek said:

Is Baylor College of Medicine still sending out invites? My application is still "under review" and wondering what are the chances.

I had written to them and they gave me the same generic mail that my application is under review. Thats it. Idk what to make of it. I have given up.

6 hours ago, beardedlabrat said:

Did anyone who got an interview with the University of Southern California NGP receive any updates about the schedule? I am in the second interview dates but haven't heard from them since they gave me my official dates at the beginning of January.

Hi! I'm interviewing this upcoming week, and they sent me the email this Thursday (I would probably follow up with them if they don't contact you by the Thursday before)

I hope your interviews go well! 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, MyCortisolLevelsRVeryHigh said:

The standard decision date is April 15 (I’m pretty sure this applies to all PhD programs, but could be wrong), so you have plenty of time! Def don’t feel pressured to respond right away with anything other than acknowledgment/appreciation for the offer if you need time to think about it. But if you know you won’t go to a school you’ve gotten an acceptance to, it’s nice to let them know ASAP so they can offer your spot to someone else :)

It's only the schools that are members of the Graduate School Consortium, which is most of them.  Some programs will still try to push you to make a decision before 4/15, though.  

Prior to 2020, offers that came with funding were difficult to withdraw from (just lengthy, not impossible).  Because of Covid-19, the GSC had made it easier to withdraw an acceptance before and after the 4/15 deadline.  Hard to know if this change will continue into 2022 and beyond, but it is still an option for 2021.  

Yes, informing the program of your decision ASAP is the best policy.  

*edit*

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

6 hours ago, kkrowling said:

Hi! I'm interviewing this upcoming week, and they sent me the email this Thursday (I would probably follow up with them if they don't contact you by the Thursday before)

I hope your interviews go well! 

Thank you so much and best of luck to you also! I’d love to hear your feedback on the virtual interview week if you want to send me a private message :)

Did everyone receive invites from MIT BCS only on the 19th or has anyone heard from them some time later?

I was hoping that I might hear from them until the end of January, but after reading the thread I realised that many of you have already received the invites. I wonder if there is any chance left..:((

On 1/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, NeuroPhDInd said:

Did anyone apply to Boston University anatomy and neurobiology and heard from them?

I applied to the Biology Neurobiology program at Boston University. I haven't heard anything, I have been checking and haven't seen anyone post anything about it either. Maybe next month? Who knows lol

2 hours ago, VinnyAugu said:

Hello folks,

Had used gradcafe a couple of years ago. Currently neuroscience faculty at Scripps, La Jolla. Would be happy to answer questions about the Scripps grad program if any.

Thanks,

Vinny Augustine

https://theaugustinelab.org/

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! Have all interviews already been sent out for this cycle? I applied, and I assumed if I have not heard back yet then it’s probably a rejection ?

Just now, Zoey_q said:

Hi future neuroscientists,

Did anyone get a rejection from UCSD?? I saw some rejections on the results page and I am curious to know if me not receiving a rejection yet means anything ?

Yes, but to get it early, we had to email the dept and ask.

To those like me who haven't heard back: did you also submit your applications within a couple days of the deadline? Maybe they are reading them in order they were submitted.

I also heard of people being receiving interviews and rejections from CMU NGP (though the rejection may have been from a similar CMU program -- I heard second hand) within the past couple days. Yet I applied and didn't hear anything, so it seems they just haven't gone through everybody.

Also, I emailed Brown and they said they are just finishing up and will notify regarding acceptances and rejections. So it seems many places, at least Brown and CMU, may not be done reviewing applications. Maybe this will give hope to others in the same boat, who have heard nothing.

10 hours ago, Zoey_q said:

Hi future neuroscientists,

Did anyone get a rejection from UCSD?? I saw some rejections on the results page and I am curious to know if me not receiving a rejection yet means anything ?

I received an email to check my portal. And the rejection was on my portal. Maybe check your portal in case they sent that email to another one they had on file; otherwise you could potentially be waitlisted. I would email the program though since I believe interviews have already started

17 minutes ago, AOMO9248 said:

For those of you who finished interview, do you need to present your research via PowerPoint?

I have never had to do this during my interviews, but I think a couple of programs might say that you can use a powerpoint if you want/to help you summarize your research (especially if it's more computational/theoretical neuroscience).

40 minutes ago, AOMO9248 said:

For those of you who finished interview, do you need to present your research via PowerPoint?

I've talked to a few faculty about this in advance, and frankly it can only be seen as a negative if you use a PowerPoint. A big part of interviews is seeing how you do communicating your research in a little more casual, less scripted setting. Your PowerPoint could be seen as a crutch. Faculty want to talk with you not listen to you present.

I know others have done it, even in person, and it's worked out for them. But, I wouldn't count on using it. 

in short, no lol

Edited by canigetuhhhhhhhanswerpls

1 hour ago, AOMO9248 said:

None of my interviews required this, I think they're much more interested in your ability to discuss your science than present it to them!

15 hours ago, Prefrontalvortex said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! Have all interviews already been sent out for this cycle? I applied, and I assumed if I have not heard back yet then it’s probably a rejection ?

from someone on the admissionns committee -  "Yes they have, but it happened in the past that emails were not received, so I would encourage them to reach out"