2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

14 hours ago, nnsk said:

To those like me who haven't heard back: did you also submit your applications within a couple days of the deadline? Maybe they are reading them in order they were submitted.

I also heard of people being receiving interviews and rejections from CMU NGP (though the rejection may have been from a similar CMU program -- I heard second hand) within the past couple days. Yet I applied and didn't hear anything, so it seems they just haven't gone through everybody.

Also, I emailed Brown and they said they are just finishing up and will notify regarding acceptances and rejections. So it seems many places, at least Brown and CMU, may not be done reviewing applications. Maybe this will give hope to others in the same boat, who have heard nothing.

I am curious what CMU NGP programs you are referring to? And which program you applied to?

I have seen many posts about Systems Neuroscience, but I applied to CMU Neural Computation program, and haven't heard or seen anything... I submitted my application about two weeks before the deadline so unsure.

23 minutes ago, neurolingr said:

I am curious what CMU NGP programs you are referring to? And which program you applied to?

I have seen many posts about Systems Neuroscience, but I applied to CMU Neural Computation program, and haven't heard or seen anything... I submitted my application about two weeks before the deadline so unsure.

Oops, I meant to say I applied to the Program in Neural Computation. I just asked my friend about the program where somebody got an interview, and turns out it was the Program in Computational Biology

Also got a rejection from Brown today

46 minutes ago, iLikeBrainz said:

Does anyone know if Boston University Neuroscience usually sends out all their interview invites on one day or over a couple days?  Thanks!

Have they started though? Giving out invites?

5 minutes ago, iLikeBrainz said:

Looks like yesterday if you check results. I saw 3 posts. 

8 minutes ago, dsi411 said:

Yes, I got one yesterday for virtual visit days (March 1st and 2nd).

This is for Anatomy and Neurobiology program?

UCLA Admissions Update (1/27/21 9:22 AM):

"Thanks for your patience in my response! You are correct in the timeline for the admissions process. However, applications are still held on to by the committee and if there is any changes to the status of your application, our program will reach out to you with an update."

I do not know what to make of this. Any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, lowestprime said:

UCLA Admissions Update (1/27/21 9:22 AM):

"Thanks for your patience in my response! You are correct in the timeline for the admissions process. However, applications are still held on to by the committee and if there is any changes to the status of your application, our program will reach out to you with an update."

I do not know what to make of this. Any thoughts?

I wish they were more clear than this. It sounds like they did send out all the interview invites, since they said the timeline for the application process is correct. The fact that they said applications are held on to makes me believe there’s a chance that a few additional people may get an interview? I don’t want to get my hopes up though. 

3 minutes ago, Prefrontalvortex said:

I wish they were more clear than this. It sounds like they did send out all the interview invites, since they said the timeline for the application process is correct. The fact that they said applications are held on to makes me believe there’s a chance that a few additional people may get an interview? I don’t want to get my hopes up though. 

I think the sender of this email is insinuating that there is a wait list. 

I also have a UCLA admissions update (27 Jan):

"Thank you for your email and for your application to the NSIDP! At this time, I cannot provide any updates however, I would encourage you to review the timeline for our admissions process on the Admissions FAQ page: http://www.neuroscience.ucla.edu/admissions-faq

If there is an update to the status of your application, we will contact you directly."

I'm gonna assume this means they did sent out all their invites, given that they're sticking to the timeline. I'm surprised, to be truthful. I would've expected more people to report on it on these forums. 

17 minutes ago, canigetuhhhhhhhanswerpls said:

I also have a UCLA admissions update (27 Jan):

"Thank you for your email and for your application to the NSIDP! At this time, I cannot provide any updates however, I would encourage you to review the timeline for our admissions process on the Admissions FAQ page: http://www.neuroscience.ucla.edu/admissions-faq

If there is an update to the status of your application, we will contact you directly."

I'm gonna assume this means they did sent out all their invites, given that they're sticking to the timeline. I'm surprised, to be truthful. I would've expected more people to report on it on these forums. 

Exactly!

These are the only one's I have seen reported (it appears that there were two separate email invitation rounds on 12/21/20 and 01/08/21):

University Of California, Los Angeles Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 21 Dec 2020 A 14 Jan 2021
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 8 Jan 2021 A 10 Jan 2021
  • for those asking about the interview email, it seemed like a mass email but was addressed to my name
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 8 Jan 2021 A 9 Jan 2021
  • interview dates feb7-8
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 8 Jan 2021 A 8 Jan 2021
  •  
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 21 Dec 2020 A 25 Dec 2020
  • 2.5y research, 2 internships, 1 pub
Edited by lowestprime

18 minutes ago, lowestprime said:

Exactly!

These are the only one's I have seen reported (it appears that there were two separate email invitation rounds on 12/21/20 and 01/08/21):

University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 8 Jan 2021 A 10 Jan 2021
  • for those asking about the interview email, it seemed like a mass email but was addressed to my name
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 8 Jan 2021 A 9 Jan 2021
  • interview dates feb7-8
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 8 Jan 2021 A 8 Jan 2021
  •  
University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F21) Interview via E-mail on 21 Dec 2020 A 25 Dec 2020
  • 2.5y research, 2 internships, 1 pub

Versus last cycle (looks like the rejections were sent mid-March):

University Of Californa, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F20) Interview via E-mail on 17 Jan 2020 I 17 Jan 2020
  • Feb 23-24. Really surprised, as I thought they were done sending interviews long time ago
University Of Californa, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F20) Interview via E-mail on 19 Dec 2019  A 19 Dec 2019
  • Interview Feb 23-24
University Of Californa, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F20) Interview via E-mail on 19 Dec 2019 A 19 Dec 2019
  •  
University Of Californa, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience, PhD (F20) Interview via E-mail on 19 Dec 2019 A 19 Dec 2019
  • Interview Dates: February 2-3
University Of Californa, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuroscience (NSIDP), PhD (F20) Interview via E-mail on 19 Dec 2019 A 19 Dec 2019
  • Invited to the 2/2-2/3 session! Sounds like there are other dates, though.
Edited by lowestprime

4 hours ago, iLikeBrainz said:

No, for the Neuroscience PhD

well technically they are both neuroscience PhDs but from different departments. GPN is mostly located on the main campus while A&N is mostly on the medical campus. There's also an interdisciplinary PhD called Behavioral Neuro on the medical campus too. 

Edited by ManifoldsAreMadeUp

1 hour ago, ManifoldsAreMadeUp said:

well technically they are both neuroscience PhDs but from different departments. GPN is mostly located on the main campus while A&N is mostly on the medical campus. There's also an interdisciplinary PhD called Behavioral Neuro on the medical campus too. 

"Well technically.." I think it's safe to say when I said "Neuroscience" it was very obvious I was referencing the GPN "Graduate Program in Neuroscience" and not either of these other programs which have more words than just "neuroscience" but thanks..

2 hours ago, iLikeBrainz said:

"Well technically.." I think it's safe to say when I said "Neuroscience" it was very obvious I was referencing the GPN "Graduate Program in Neuroscience" and not either of these other programs which have more words than just "neuroscience" but thanks..

I'm just trying to help! It seemed you were implying that A&N wasn't a neuroscience program which it definitely is. There is no one "neuroscience" program at BU, there are multiple. It would rub students in either department the wrong way if you said *the* neuroscience program at BU was GPN. Just word to the wise if you have an interview with either department.

Another tip---and I'm trying to communicate this as gently as possible because this is an incredibly stressful time for you all---but try not to come off with a tone you don't intend on this forum. Graduate students (and research assistants) from BU lurk here; you would not want them sharing unkind details with admissions committees.

Edited by ManifoldsAreMadeUp